I want a good OD pedal, i heard the bad monket and metal muff were good. What do you think is better.. i can spend $200 on a pedal. so what do you suggest?
Ibanez RGR420EX
B.C. Rich MockingBird w/ EMG 81/85

Peavey Valveking 212 Tube Combo

Electro harmonix Metal Muff
Electro harmonix Big Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
well the metal muff is a distortion pedal...but if you have $200 why not get a Maxon od9?
Apples and oranges! Metal muff is a heavy distortion/fuzz, whereas the BM is a kinda lighter OD sound. Are you going to be using it to boost a tube amp or replace the distortion on your own amp?
Quote by sam i am
Apples and oranges! Metal muff is a heavy distortion/fuzz, whereas the BM is a kinda lighter OD sound. Are you going to be using it to boost a tube amp or replace the distortion on your own amp?

i plan on running the pedal through the clean channel on a peavey valveking 212 combo.
Ibanez RGR420EX

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by Ryan-Mc182
i plan on running the pedal through the clean channel on a peavey valveking 212 combo.

Yeah, that totally doesn't answer his question.
The Bad monkey is normally used as a boost on the OD channel.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ryan-Mc182

If your not going to use the distortion on the valveking 2x12 why bother having the amp?
Quote by Ryan-Mc182

one word, why?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Go with the Bad Monkey. I have one and it is a tube overdrive (very warm) and it has a very orignal gritty overdrive sound.
Quote by reesy257
Go with the Bad Monkey. I have one and it is a tube overdrive (very warm) and it has a very orignal gritty overdrive sound.

I have one as well and totally agree. Great pedal!
I have a Metal Muff with top boost and I can honestly say it has blown me away.

It gets you a great sound. You can get a lot of different sounding stuff if you fiddle with the settings a bit.

I call it...Pantera in a box.

But yeah if you're not even gonna use the distortion on the 2x12 why have an amp? lol
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by Ryan-Mc182

just read this.

Don't even think about the metal muff if you want to use it on clean. It's an OD pedal clean will still sound like distortion.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Wait what? The Metal Muff isnt a od pedal. The BM is an od. Dont buy the Muff, buy the BM and run it on your lead channel. The VKs lead channel is better then the Metal Muff.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by yocomobebes
Wait what? The Metal Muff isnt a od pedal. The BM is an od. Dont buy the Muff, buy the BM and run it on your lead channel. The VKs lead channel is better then the Metal Muff.

My bad...I need sleep.

I've never tried the BM but the Metal Muff is retardedly badass. And you WILL be more than satisfied.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
My bad...I need sleep.

I've never tried the BM but the Metal Muff is retardedly badass. And you WILL be more than satisfied.

Until you hear a good cranked high-gain tube amp with a boost in front...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Until you hear a good cranked high-gain tube amp with a boost in front...

touche
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
bodombullet, wait till you get your mesa rect-o-verb , then you will know the satisfaction of a cranked amp.

but the bm is ok, but if you can afford the metal muff, why not just get an Ibanez ts9?
well basically a re-cap of what everbody said here :

Metal muff= use on clean channel for a pantera like SS distortion, its a distortion pedal not an over drive, The VKs lead channel is better ( i had one and sold it b.c it was too SS sounding)

Bad monkey= use on the clean channel for a SRV sound, use on the Lead channel for a metal tube sound or a volume boost.

Get the bad monkey and a foot switch for your VK, it will sound so much better and sound like an actual tube amp insead of pantera
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Well, if you really can't decide, just buy both.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Ok I have the MM and before I got my 6505 I used it through my MG combo and with really weird settings got a good tone out of it. Here's the weird thing though, when I tried to the MM through the clean channel of my 6505 and it sounded like absolute crap. Not just worse than the lead channel alone on the head (obviously), but far worse than through the MG. I dunno if it would be the same through the clean channel of your VK, but they are both Peavey so it sounds skeptical from my point of view.

Here's what I'd do. Go find yourself a Maxon TS9 or 808 and boost the lead channel on your VK.
Quote by guitarbite.fire
well basically a re-cap of what everbody said here :

Metal muff= use on clean channel for a pantera like SS distortion, its a distortion pedal not an over drive, The VKs lead channel is better ( i had one and sold it b.c it was too SS sounding)

Bad monkey= use on the clean channel for a SRV sound, use on the Lead channel for a metal tube sound or a volume boost.

Get the bad monkey and a foot switch for your VK, it will sound so much better and sound like an actual tube amp insead of pantera

What about i bought an english muff'n OD. It's a really good tube overdrive and i can use it on my lead channel for a boost.
Ibanez RGR420EX

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
I had the MM and I got rid of it pretty fast. I fiddled with the settings alot trying to find something, and got settings off the net to see if any of those would work. I'm not to big on distortion pedals anyways, but the MM was junk IMO. To each his own though.

If you're looking for a boost then try a Maxon OD808 or something. If you're looking for something to run through the clean channel of the 2x12, then I don't see the point in having that amp in the first place.

EDIT- Neither of those pedals going through a VK will sound like 'Pantera' in anyway, unless you're hard of hearing. If you want 'Pantera' then sell your VK and get your hands on a RG100ES, Century 200, 100HT or a Warhead.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Aug 14, 2008,