I've installed a fair few pups in my day, but never anything too complicated, I just made a DIY piezo pup that fits nicely in the (now altered) neck pocket of a cheap p-bass I wasn't using. I was wondering if the brilliant minds at the building and customizing forum could help me out in two ways:

1. Tell me if it's possible to passively combine the piezo signal with the p-bass signal, or if I will get terrible results by trying to do this.

2. MS paint up a nice wiring diagram for me for V, V, Tone for one piezo pup and one magnetic pup, everything passive of course and all out to a regular mono jack.

Is anyone up to the challange or is this help unncessesary and can I simply copy a V V T jazzbass configuration instead?

Thanks in advance!
OK, thanks Jim, that's all I was looking for. I just wondered if somehow the piezo would cause me some noise issues or anything like that. Guess I'll just be doing the VVT thing!

edit* actually something just occured to me that I might have to go fix. I have wired two piezo elements in series to make the pup, if the outer rings (ground/shield) of both elements are touching while they are also wired in series will I have some issues with hum?
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 13, 2008,
I don't think piezos CAN hum, actually, as they aren't coils of wire.

Just in case, if the grounds are touching AND are connected by a wire, remove the wire connecting the grounds.

Also, did you make/get a preamp for it? It'll sound much better with a preamp.

I have a schem/layout for a cheap and easy preamp if you want/need it.
I just tested it out with another quickly made pup, and no hum issues as you've said ( I really didn't want to take the neck back off the bass to check the original lol.

I don't have an acoustic preamp as I just did this from some componants and a bass I happened to have lying around the house. If you send me the layout for the pre, I'd really appreciate it, I probably can't source the parts for it from my stuff at home, but that's nothing a trip to radioshack can't remedy.

Thanks again Jim!
I meant a preamp for the piezo, not an acoustic preamp. I'll get a crapload of PMs from lurkers, so I'll just post it here. It's very compact and simple. Back in a sec...
Very simple and nice.

Continuing the line of noob questions: what do you think is the best way to go about adding this to my wiring diagram? immediately follow the piezo, and send the output to the volume knob as if I were still simply using a single coil pickup?

I don't have the right caps at home and am out of transistors (though I actually did have some 2n5457s earlier this summer) so this project will probably have to wait till tomorrow or a little later in the week. Still, I'll have to give this a go and probably share with the forum how my bass turns out.

I started the project just because I'm sick, loopy on cough syrup, and bored, and originally intended not to even have a magnetic pup in there. Now things are getting more and more interesting, should be a neat build when it's all done. I think having the piezos in the neck pocket instead of under the bridge will have an interesting result, and with the nice preamp you've shared my signal might even be audible!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Continuing the line of noob questions: what do you think is the best way to go about adding this to my wiring diagram? immediately follow the piezo, and send the output to the volume knob as if I were still simply using a single coil pickup?

Yep.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
I don't have the right caps at home and am out of transistors (though I actually did have some 2n5457s earlier this summer) so this project will probably have to wait till tomorrow or a little later in the week. Still, I'll have to give this a go and probably share with the forum how my bass turns out.

Looking forward to it.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
I started the project just because I'm sick, loopy on cough syrup, and bored, and originally intended not to even have a magnetic pup in there. Now things are getting more and more interesting, should be a neat build when it's all done.

Yup. Cough syrup does that to ya.