Okay, so here's the deal. Recently, my friend's dad rediscovered his first electric guitar, a no-name brand purchased from a pawn shop in the 70's. To make a long story short, he gave the go-ahead for my friend and I to fix it up and mod it or whatever else we wanna do. This will be the first guitar either of us has ever fixed, so I need some advice on what to do with it.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, my friend attempted to make an adjustment to the truss rod. He was going really slowly when SNAP, the head of the truss rod just broke. So, a new neck will be necessary, that's for sure. Also, my friend told me the nut has a nasty habit of falling out when no strings are attached, so a new nut will be needed too, unless that comes with the neck. The tuners are beyond hope, being incredibly rusty and one of them missing the key. Finally, a new bridge will also be needed, given that the old one is also very rusty. Fortunately, the tailpiece for the bridge seems to be just fine for the time being, so no problem there. And to cap it all off, there seems to be two cracks on either side of the neck heel. They don't seem very big, but they're cracks nonetheless.

On the bright side, the electronics seem to work just fine, with an HH and two volume, one tone configuration (or so we think. I forgot to mess with the knobs to make sure they worked Oops ) Also, we think the body may be mahogony.

Pics are attached. The duct tape that can be seen across the pickups is to hold them in place, since the mounting rings fell off (yet another thing needed).

Any ideas what to do?
Attachments:
0812081826a.jpg
Quote by timi_hendrix
That looks like a digestive biscuit that's been thrown up by a cat.
Duct tape? It looks like masking tape... but if its duct tape REMOVE IT NOW!! It will leave permanent marks in the paint.

Is that a webcam photo? Damn its hard to see what we're looking at here. Some type of Les Paul Junior knock-off?

The nut falling out can be cured with super glue. Problem solved. New neck should be a challenge to find.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
What brand is it?

For the rusty stuff, get some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. That'll take most of the rust off.

Just b/c the nut falls off with no strings on doesn't mean you need a new one. Just glue it back on the new neck.

And get better pics.
Sorry about the crappy pics. Stupid camera phone. And as for the tape, I said that wrong. I meant masking tape. I'm pretty sure the tuners, even if I de-rust them, are beyond hope. Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Last edited by Joeschmoemama at Aug 13, 2008,
I don't know how someone can look at a vintage guitar and say it's junk. I love fixing up old no-name guitars (a visit to my gear pics will tell you the same; all but 1 of my guitars are vintage no-names [except the '63 Hofner]).

I hope this goes well, TS.
Quote by Invader Jim
I don't know how someone can look at a vintage guitar and say it's junk. I love fixing up old no-name guitars (a visit to my gear pics will tell you the same; all but 1 of my guitars are vintage no-names [except the '63 Hofner]).

I hope this goes well, TS.

I hope so too, but I may only be able to do some of the minor repairs at first, since my finances are in an alarming state. The one thing that's been bugging me about this whole thing is that I wanna know for certain what the body wood is. How can I find out, short of sanding down the finish?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Look in the neck pocket, or pull the pickups and look under them. Or look in the control cavity. There are usually hints.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Look in the neck pocket, or pull the pickups and look under them. Or look in the control cavity. There are usually hints.

Figured, although, I wasn't sure if it would actually work. Thanks! What things would tip me off to mahogony?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Okay, thanks all. It may be a little while before I can get over to my friend's house with my camera, but I'll see what happens.
Quote by timi_hendrix
deleted for invader jim
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Aug 14, 2008,
Oops. Sorry about that.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Quote by noisefarmer
is that an l6-s?

No idea.

EDIT: On the second thought, it could be. Thing is, though you can't see it in the picture, the headstock is utterly blank.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Last edited by Joeschmoemama at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by Joeschmoemama
No idea.

EDIT: On the second thought, it could be. Thing is, though you can't see it in the picture, the headstock is utterly blank.

a better picture would help.

it looks like it might be and if it is i'd say go the whole restoration route with this project.