Hey all. I have "played around" for a month or so...and took my first lesson last night (which was cool) but, I am a father of three, and feel like a half hour lesson a week, and MAYBE a half hour or more a day of practice won't get me far fast. Agreed? Or am I gonna be okay? lol.

I know I have to be patient, and I know this is a few year commitment, but will my schedule work? Will it get me anywhere? I am willing to go ahead if so...but if you real players think I need to put in 4 hours a day, lol...I might be screwed.

Thanks all, Will
It will definitely get you better than a beginner, but you won't progress as quick as someone doing two hours a day.

The more time you put into it, the more you will get back out of it.

You really need to try and practice for an hour a day at least in my opinion, but with your circumstances it may be hard to do.
Just practice any time you can. Learn all your favorite songs and such. Just mess around. Its not about getting good fast, its about having fun and making music.
Sure your not going to be able to bust out some crazy solos anytime soon, but you will steadily progress over a period of time and if you stick with it than there is no limit to how good you can become.

The only way to not get better at playing guitar is by well... not playing the guitar. Even a half hour a day is better than 0 hours a day and it will add up in the long run. So don't get discouraged if you can't play great in a week, month, or a year. It's not a contest and the only person who is judging you is you (maybe your kids LoL)
but what I want to know is...from you guys that have been there...is that not enough commitment to get me anywhere? Or will I progress enough with that amount of time?

I know its a toughie...but if you all know..."hey, thats not enough work", lol...I wanna know.

Thanks Lad's...and ladies...Will
Quote by nbmack
Sure your not going to be able to bust out some crazy solos anytime soon, but you will steadily progress over a period of time and if you stick with it than there is no limit to how good you can become.

The only way to not get better at playing guitar is by well... not playing the guitar. Even a half hour a day is better than 0 hours a day and it will add up in the long run. So don't get discouraged if you can't play great in a week, month, or a year. It's not a contest and the only person who is judging you is you (maybe your kids LoL)

lol...they sure are!!! Thanks for your time though. Will
As a father of two, I feel your pain. I think it's great that you're taking lessons, but the hard truth is, unless you can devote a lot of time to practice between lessons, you'll just end up repeating the same lessons over and over. Starting out it good to have a knowledgable person show you the ropes, but after six lessons you may want to strike out on your own for a while.
First off, these are strictly my personal views, please do what you feel is in your best interest. But in my experience, if you don't have a solid hour a day to practice the things an instructor will show you from week to week, you'll end up spinning your wheels. And you wouldn't be getting your money's worth from the lessons. My schedule doesn't allow me to practice more than about 4 hours a week, not enough to make lessons pay off for me. So instead I have several instructional books, and I watch internet videos on technique, etc. I'm going at a slower pace, but I'm not having to pay for lessons either.
I think you'll definetly be able to progress as long as you pratice...productively?(may be using wrong word)

in other words: pratice scales and chords and learn new songs don't just sit there and screw around with your guitar fo half an hour
Explain to your teacher exactly what your time constraints are. I'm sure he or she will give you enough stuff to do that will cover that time.

Also, there is so much you can do without even holding the instrument but that will depend on what you what you really want to get out of it.

Also, and I speak from experience, your time, or free time, will increase as your children grow. And music is such a treasured thing to pass on to your children.
well thanks all. That kinda set me straight...and I think i'm in this for the long haul. At least I know there's a light...thats all I needed.

All the best, Will
I don't have a lot of time to practice I guess, but I just play the songs I want to play. Whenever I have gotten stuck on technique I look it up.

I have no aspirations to ever play music live for other people. I just fine it fun as **** to do on my own.