So im working on some original stuff, and since my actual bass broke, i am using my guitar run through the digitech whammy, set down an octave. that goes to a zoom g2.1u, which ive used for all the guitar tracks as well. I'm recording all the tracks to garageband on my macbook.

the issue is that when the bass records, you really cant hear it without maxing the volume. But when the volume is maxed, the volume-meter type thing, that shows the level throughout playback, basically maxes out and the bass should be really loud. Is it a problem with the low frequency? i'm not sure this all makes sense but if anyone gets it, please explain whats going on.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
might be due to no mids. Mids are very important in the mixing for bass. however it also may be due to the fact that your using a guitar for bass tracks and that some how is messing it up.
do you know how to do that on garageband?

edit:found EQ bands, either 31 or 10... i dont know how to set it up for bass though, how do you turn up the bass and mids on an EQ?

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Last edited by chipmunksurfer at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by chipmunksurfer
do you know how to do that on garageband?

edit:found EQ bands, either 31 or 10... i dont know how to set it up for bass though, how do you turn up the bass and mids on an EQ?

sorry man i dont know how garage band work.
are you recording directly into a interface? or mix board whatever your using? a good way to record bass is direct. im guessing this works even when your recording guitar through a d-tech direct.
im not sure of what your asking. the g2.1u is just an interface, yes, using USB and records straight to garageband. I'm confused though, if thats not what you're asking

ok i see what your using.....so here is a little check list you can go through....

1. im not totally familiar with what your using, so im just guessing that you can select some kind of output volume on the g2.1u. im also guessing that you can adjust the volume using the pedal on the g2.1u. whatever it is you use to adjust the output volume from the g2.1u just make sure it is turned up.

2. make sure your macbook volume is turned all the way up

3. make sure the track that contains the "bass" recording is turned all the way up

4.if your using garage band make sure that the master volume is turned up on the mix screen of garage band

EDIT: i just tell you to check these obvious things becuase i forget to check them alllll the time.
Last edited by Max-Roach at Aug 14, 2008,
You can never get a good 'bass' sound with a guitar. By shifting the notes down, the mid is lost, which is why the sound is artificial. Your best option is to fix your bass, or find a cheap one to use.
i figure scawti is probably right. i'll look into all the factors i may have missed or screwed up, but i'll probably try to find a bass