Page 1 of 2
Alright, so after trying all kinds of facewash crap, nothing works for me. So my mom finally got me a prescription, it's called minocycline. Does anyone know or have had any experience with this? How long will it take to make a change? Thanks for any replies
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
did you go to the doctor yourself to get the scrip?
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Proactive.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

theres this pill thing that my sis used that worked wonders. she didn't get any acne at all after she started using it. but i think its kinda expensive. i can't remember what its called though. iv never had to use it cuz my acne isn't that bad
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Yes, I used to use minocycline for my acne, because all that facewash scrub **** never worked. Let me tell you it worked great for me. My face is complete devoid of acne and I love it.

tl;dr Get a prescription for it.

EDIT: You see results after 2-3 weeks of taking it.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
I'm starting to have a little problem with acne myself.

There's not a ton of it, but what's there is really annoying. It seems as soon as I get rid of one blemish, another just pops up. I'm starting to suspect my electric razor.

Edit: I'm intrigued, where can I get myself some of this minocycline? Is it prescription exclusive?
Quote by ConeShred
Yes, I used to use minocycline for my acne, because all that facewash scrub **** never worked. Let me tell you it worked great for me. My face is complete devoid of acne and I love it.

tl;dr Get a prescription for it.

EDIT: You see results after 2-3 weeks of taking it.

Awesome, thanks for reply.

When someone asked my if I got the prescription myself, no I didn't. My mom works for a doctor and they looked it up and got me this.
Yeah, no prob. The time when changes show up may tend to vary between different people, but it's generally proven to work with any acne. Either that or you can try this really, really strong medication that makes you depressed/suicidal.

My doctor tells me this stuff.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
It works for some people but not others. I took it for a while but it didn't really do much so I went to Acutane, but my friend took it and it worked really well for him.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I took some stuff called doxycycline. I believe it's in the same family of stuff. Didn't do too much for me, but people are different.
I heard acutane is the one that makes you go crazy/hear voices in your head lol.
Its an antibiotic, so if your acne is bacteria based, it will kill it
I would recommend Acutane personally. It's pretty much a guarantee success, except it has a couple of side effects, but totally worth it.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Hanzi_G
I would recommend Acutane personally. It's pretty much a guarantee success, except it has a couple of side effects, but totally worth it.

what kind of side effects are we lookin at here? if it makes me wanna kill myself, no thanks. If it dries out my skin a little, I might look into it. But not if it makes me deathly pale and my lips are peeling off.
Yeah, that stuff does work real well, but be careful. It almost killed me. Seriously.
I have all I want and I'm not okay, I'm funny that way...
- Rob Heinrich
Basically it goes Doxycycline>Minocycline>Accutane from weakest to strongest, im on minocycline at the moment and it works pretty well. And you cant get any of these medications without a prescription

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
i take minocycline, it has really cleared up my face, and is slowly clearing up my chest and back. It works pretty well, especially if used with other stuff, like prescription gels and pads. If that doesnt work, try acutane.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
*cough* Accutane is better *cough*
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
If I used this minocycline with some oxy face wash and cleaning pads that burn your zits, would that help it? surely it would.
Quote by RabbidWolf
If I used this minocycline with some oxy face wash and cleaning pads that burn your zits, would that help it? surely it would.

No, it might even worsen it.

Also, it would dry out your skin severely and may cause braking.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
No, it might even worsen it.

Also, it would dry out your skin severely and may cause braking.

Does the pill make my face dry? because I've been using that and it hasn't dried it out much.
Quote by RabbidWolf
Does the pill make my face dry? because I've been using that and it hasn't dried it out much.

Most Acne medications tend to dry out the skin yes, because they are trying to rid the pores of dirty oils.

Accutance, which is the strongest (I take it), essentially overloads your body with Vitamin A ( Safe dose without side effects is about 3 mg, Accutane gives you 80 mg.). This drys out your skin to the extreme, but it helps acne.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Most Acne medications tend to dry out the skin yes, because they are trying to rid the pores of dirty oils.

Accutance, which is the strongest (I take it), essentially overloads your body with Vitamin A ( Safe dose without side effects is about 3 mg, Accutane gives you 80 mg.). This drys out your skin to the extreme, but it helps acne.

no I'm not taking accutane, I'm take the mixo one lol.
Quote by RabbidWolf
what kind of side effects are we lookin at here? if it makes me wanna kill myself, no thanks. If it dries out my skin a little, I might look into it. But not if it makes me deathly pale and my lips are peeling off.

My mom is a nurse and was telling me how acutane is so powerful that your body gets ****ed up if you have sex. So if you plan on having any sex don't take it. It is usually a last resort kind of medicine though
Quote by Hanzi_G

I don't have any personal experience with it, but when my friend used it... holy **** his lips were peeling like... I don't know. A lot of peeling. And dry skin.
I'm 13, and my family has this kind of curse that when your in your teenage years your face will be like a pineapple full of zits. After being a teenager your acne disappears and scars appear in your face. It looks like craters or something. The curse happened to my Great Grandpa, Grandpa, Uncles, Aunts, and my Dad.

I think I should stop that curse, should I take Minocycline? I tried Clearasil and Masters Facial Wash. I tried getting ProActiv, but its not available in my country.

EDIT: I just read Wikipedia's page on Minocycline, the side effects are dangerous, anything else that helps with Acne but does not give you dangerous side effects?
Last edited by martinez952000 at Aug 14, 2008,
Minocycline didn't really do anything except turn my acne blue which is kind of a step backwards luckily it went away after I stopped taking it. Accutane is what really worked for me, basically its supposed to make you acne free for the rest of your life and it works in about 4 months.

However there are a lot of side effects, you are pretty much guaranteed to get dry skin probably much worse than you have ever had before, this can make your skin and scalp itchy and your lips can become raw easily so you need lots of chapstick and you can't use normal soap since it washes all the moisture out of your skin and makes it even worse, but its only for a few months and you get used to it.

You also have to get monthly blood tests to make sure the drug isn't causing kidney damage (if it is you have to stop), also there are rare cases of suicide/depression/mental illness that will also cause you to stop the program if they appear. Overall I think its worth it and it wasn't as bad for me as I thought it would be.
S**t! I gotta get me some of this Minocy-whatever........... Although, I do tend to have problems with dry skin normally....... Dang it!!
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
I've had a similar situation such as yourself. During 8th grade-Frosh year my acne was absolutely terrible. It was a mask covering my entire face. I tried all the face cream crap, minocycline, doxycicline, all of those drugs are crap.

Accutane my friend, is the answer. I took a two month cycle and my face was completely clear.

You will hear people saying accutane is a dangerous drug, and it can be if you are not monitored properly. I never had voices in my head telling me to kill prostitues (or insert activity), I never had suicidal thoughts, I was happy to see progress.

Tips if you decide to take accutane:

1. It's a massive vitamin A bomb, it will cause your skin to dry the **** out. Apply chapstick all the time, and get Carmex and rub it on the inside of your nose (or you will get frequent nose bleeds).

2. You will need to get your blood drawn about 3 times during the cycle, this is to ensure that the drug is not ****ing up your liver. Be ready for that.

Other than that, profit! Accutane is the ultimate CURE for acne. There is no drug on the market that can produce better results. If you take the cycle it WILL disappear within a few months
Last edited by Brown925 at Aug 14, 2008,
And if you're a girl, you can't get pregant because your kid may end up severely deformed.

As for the depression thing, it's never been directly correlated with Acutane and the research around it is kinda loose. In other words, it's really not a concern.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
It takes a few months and it helps a lot. I don't know if it's been said yet but it's photosensitive so if you take it and go out in the sun you'll probably have some sort of an allergic reaction.

I didn't know and I went to a graduation party, the next day I started breaking out in hives and they were EVERYWHERE. It took about 5 or 6 days for them to go away (it recycles itself in the body until it's gone) after taking some medicine and anti-itch cremes.

So if your going to take minocycline, it helps, but be warned, try not to be out in the sun on days you take it.

EDIT: This may just be a personal thing but I've been using these Clearasil Ultra wipes and this creme my doctor gave me (Duac Topical Gel I believe it's called), and the combination of the two has been clearing me up faster than I could believe.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Last edited by CFH82 at Aug 14, 2008,
listen to the other guys, they're right.

but make sure you have FOOD ON YOUR STOMACH WHEN YOU TAKE IT. It makes you really hungry for some reason and you will feel AWFUL if you don't eat before taking the pill
Quote by eds1275
listen to the other guys, they're right.

but make sure you have FOOD ON YOUR STOMACH WHEN YOU TAKE IT. It makes you really hungry for some reason and you will feel AWFUL if you don't eat before taking the pill

sorry to bump the thread but are you sure? There's a little warning on the pill container that says DO NOT TAKE WITH FOOD lol.
Hydrochloric acid works best.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I heard from my mom that Accutane has a chance of making you sterile, my dad had to take it for cystic acne, and they told him that before they put him on it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering.

I've been take minocycline for a good six months now, as well as a couple other cremes and such.

My acne was really awful before, and the stuff made almost totally disappear. Then, over time, it slowly came back, and it goes on and sorta not really off. Of course, it's no where near as bad as it was before, but I was wondering if maybe I was building up a resistance to the drug? Is that possible?
acutane is the best to be honest. I was on it, but because I'm an idiot I drank while taking it... heavily, and it almost killed my liver and I had to get off of it. So don't drink ANY alcohol. For side effects I didn't have much, some other people I know got depressed, and another turned like bi polar and got pissed at everything. It's different for everyone, but it's definatly worth a try
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Page 1 of 2