Roadster... why?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
the roaster? sounds delicious
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
roadster, but it fit's my playing style..not to sure bout yours tho
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by al112987

But you're comparing a $2000+ amp with a $1000 amp.

Just asking cause i got em both at the same price atm.
roadster
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Mr.Pirate

Then roadster all the way. This isn't like Marshall vs. Mesa, its two modern voiced high gain amps, and you can't get better than a Mesa for that sound.
I play pirate songs with my clarinette.

But in my younger days i used to play stuff like Pantera\Slayer n' such.
Quote by Mr.Pirate

If you have a Roadster down to $1500, jump on that shit right away. IMO, a Roadster blows the JSX out of the water.
roadster hands down. I've played the JSX and it's a good amp but the roadster is so much better.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Again, roadster.

Better cleans, distortion, gain structure, more durable, higher quality, built with better parts...overall a more professional amp. If they're the same price, no questions asked, the roadster is better.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
you really need to ask this?

roadster, hands down...basically everything MESAexplorer wrote.
Quote by funkymonkz
the roaster? sounds delicious

exactly what i though

roaster combo.. does that come with fries?

for metal i probably wouldnt choose the jsx. its great for other stuff but its not really made for metal. its got great cleans and a really crisp, well defined overdrive but that that doesnt really suit metal.

dont really know much about the roaDster.
Quote by al112987
Roadster, easily.

Actually the JSX combo is closer to $1500. But yeah if you can get them for the same price I would go with the roadster for sure, the JSX is awesome, but the tonal diversity of the roadster trumps nearly any other tube amp period.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by no_thing101
exactly what i though

roaster combo.. does that come with fries?

for metal i probably wouldnt choose the jsx. its great for other stuff but its not really made for metal. its got great cleans and a really crisp, well defined overdrive but that that doesnt really suit metal.

dont really know much about the roaDster.

Do you have a clue? If you cannot get a good metal tone out of a JSX then you did not spend enough time tuning it in, or you suck at EQing, its a great amp for metal. For some for some people I could see the fact that it comes with EL-34s which are not really the "standard" these days for high gain amps, but its made so you can run 6l6s so really that should not be an issue. Plus I have the Triple XXX with EL-34s and I get a killer metal tone, very close to a daul rectifer tone, so if thats not good for metal I don't know what is.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by al112987
Roadster, easily.

+1

(i've only tried the roadking; as far as i'm aware, the roadster is just the roadking without the progressive linkage?)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can tell a lot people hear have never played either amps, and get the bulk of their info fron message boards.

"It's a Mesa! It must be great!" WRONG.

"The JSX isn't made for metal so it can't do those tones very well" WRONG.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I can tell a lot people hear have never played either amps, and get the bulk of their info fron message boards.

"It's a Mesa! It must be great!" WRONG.

"The JSX isn't made for metal so it can't do those tones very well" WRONG.

I prefer the Roadster. I owned a Road King for almost a year, although...I would expect a bit of bandwagoning knowing UG.

Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

(i've only tried the roadking; as far as i'm aware, the roadster is just the roadking without the progressive linkage?)

The amps feel very different from what I've noticed, the Roadkings progressive linkage allows it to have more control over the stock (no pedals for boost feel) thus allowing better leads, cleans, rhythms. Which is why I chose the Road King over the Roadster.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Whoever says a JSX isn't good for metal has no idea what they're talking about.
Not only is it super quiet even with the gain all the way on 10, but you'll never need to put your gain up any higher than 5 or so. And the EQ is WAYYY more sensitive than other amps, it's built to be able to go WAYYYYYYYYY over or WAYYYYYYY lower than most other EQ sections. Plus, it has a built in noise gate.

You can set the FX loop for a lead boost, even.

If you can't get a good metal tone out of a JSX, then you, my friend, have absolutely NO IDEA what you're doing, and you have no idea of what a REAL metal tone is.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Treble/Mids/Bass/Gain, now does it?

Anyone who says Mesa is just jumping on the bandwagon and has no real experience with a GENUINE, HIGH QUALITY Peavey like the JSX.

And YES, for your information, I HAVE indeed played through various Mesas and they don't even come close. If all else fails, try them out at the store or whatever.
ESP EC-400 AT Goldtop
Fender 62 Jazzmaster
Fender Mexican HSS Strat
Fender 60's Reissue Strat
Peavey JSX Halfstack

**Member #10 of the PEAVEY IS AMAZING club!**
Last edited by izzymcfizzy at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

I thought the roadster and roadking were the same thing? If not, then I've only tried the Road king as well.

Shows how much I know about Mesas. The roadking is an awesome amp though, I'd never have any use for all its features and channels, but its a terrific piece of work.
Quote by izzymcfizzy
Whoever says a JSX isn't good for metal has no idea what they're talking about.
Not only is it super quiet even with the gain all the way on 10, but you'll never need to put your gain up any higher than 5 or so. And the EQ is WAYYY more sensitive than other amps, it's built to be able to go WAYYYYYYYYY over or WAYYYYYYY lower than most other EQ sections. Plus, it has a built in noise gate.

You can set the FX loop for a lead boost, even.

If you can't get a good metal tone out of a JSX, then you, my friend, have absolutely NO IDEA what you're doing, and you have no idea of what a REAL metal tone is.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Treble/Mids/Bass/Gain, now does it?

Anyone who says Mesa is just jumping on the bandwagon and has no real experience with a GENUINE, HIGH QUALITY Peavey like the JSX.

And YES, for your information, I HAVE indeed played through various Mesas and they don't even come close. If all else fails, try them out at the store or whatever.

So much misinformation and fail in this post I don't even know where to begin...

Just goes to show how much of a ****ing idiot you are. If YOU can't find tones in a Mesa that will slay a JSX, then maybe YOU don't know what "good metal tone" is or how to work the TMBP controls.
Last edited by Gibson_Left at Aug 14, 2008,
What misinformation?
I'm not saying the Mesa ISN'T better than the JSX.
I'm just saying don't be so ignorant to completely put it off as not being versatile, especially for metal.

I don't go by what everyone else uses or what everyone else says.
I try everything without bias and find what I like.
I tweak everything and anything known to mankind before I decide whether its good or not.

I've gotten tones I liked out of a Mesa.
But for me, the JSX had the upper hand.
It's all a matter of personal taste.

What gets me is the people who are ignorant enough to say that the Mesa's are so much better, when in fact, they're pretty close in quality (yes, high-end peaveys are built very well, they're like tanks, just like Mesas) and sound.

If YOU can't find tones in a JSX that can compete and stand their own against Mesa's, then YOU, my poor friend, don't have any idea what you're doing with it in the first place.

However, thanks for showing how ignorant YOU are
You've made my day.
ESP EC-400 AT Goldtop
Fender 62 Jazzmaster
Fender Mexican HSS Strat
Fender 60's Reissue Strat
Peavey JSX Halfstack

**Member #10 of the PEAVEY IS AMAZING club!**
Last edited by izzymcfizzy at Aug 14, 2008,
He could sell the Roadking for a profit and get a JSX later though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Gibson_Left
So much misinformation and fail in this post I don't even know where to begin...

Just goes to show how much of a ****ing idiot you are. If YOU can't find tones in a Mesa that will slay a JSX, then maybe YOU don't know what "good metal tone" is or how to work the TMBP controls.

Come on now really both amps are comparable in tone, and really I think both amp are good, and really think they sound similar, but the Roadster is a more versatile amp, to say that the boogies tone slays the JSX is plain BS. Both amps a good, at this price point in amps its not a matter of this amp sucks and this one better, its all a mater of personal preference. Tone is subjective, and I bet you have never tried a JSX or any of the Peavey Ultras.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Come on now really both amps are comparable in tone, and really I think both amp are good, and really think they sound similar, but the Roadster is a more versatile amp, to say that the boogies tone slays the JSX is plain BS. Both amps a good, at this price point in amps its not a matter of this amp sucks and this one better, its all a mater of personal preference. Tone is subjective, and I bet you have never tried a JSX or any of the Peavey Ultras.

I wouldn't say they're comparable or sound similar, the JSX and XXX both share the same high gain mode. It is very saturated, and smooth, more midrange based, and not very grainy/raspy. The recto line in general has a darker, more chunky and loose tone, saggier/better tube feel and american based, rather than british based.

But I agree for everything else about saying one doesn't slay the other, but as far as quality, features, clean channel, leads, rhythm feel and power... the mesa is better. The JSX/XXX might be better for what you do though as far as price:sound goes.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by T!AN
Another +1 to the Roadster, but what type of music do you play?

Shouldn't matter, the Roadsters and RK's can do just about everything.

Roadster without a doubt.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by MESAexplorer
The amps feel very different from what I've noticed, the Roadkings progressive linkage allows it to have more control over the stock (no pedals for boost feel) thus allowing better leads, cleans, rhythms. Which is why I chose the Road King over the Roadster.

ah, cool, thanks.

Quote by al112987
I thought the roadster and roadking were the same thing? If not, then I've only tried the Road king as well.

Shows how much I know about Mesas. The roadking is an awesome amp though, I'd never have any use for all its features and channels, but its a terrific piece of work.

yeah, i mean i like mesas (not the UK prices though), but i've never really felt blown away by them like some people are. The roadking, though, was excellent.

i also think people need to stop this, "if you don't like something i like, you either haven't tried it or don't know how to dial in an amp". It's bull****, and it makes you sound like a douche.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played both extensively and me, personally, I'd try to get the JSX down a little and save some money.

They are both great amps, but I find the JSX to be more of a plug-and-play amp than the Roadster. Plug-and-play meaning you can sit with it for 5 minutes and dial in a sound that works very well.

Now don't get me wrong, the Boogie will ultimately sound better, but you will spend more money and more time tweaking. If you've got both, get the Boogie.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
I've played both extensively and me, personally, I'd try to get the JSX down a little and save some money.

They are both great amps, but I find the JSX to be more of a plug-and-play amp than the Roadster. Plug-and-play meaning you can sit with it for 5 minutes and dial in a sound that works very well.

Now don't get me wrong, the Boogie will ultimately sound better, but you will spend more money and more time tweaking. If you've got both, get the Boogie.

The Boogie is only hard to dial in for people who don't know how to use their ears
Way to be rude for no reason Mr. Perfect.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Way to be rude for no reason Mr. Perfect.

I have to agree with him though. It took me no time at all to dial in the roadking and mark IV which are supposedly the tweaking amps of tweaking amps. You just got to know if its muddy to either add presence, lower bass, or add highs, if it's shrill add more mids or bass, lower presence, or cut back on the highs a bit... etc...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
...It took me no time at all to dial in the roadking and mark IV which are supposedly the tweaking amps of tweaking amps...
Thats great, I'm happy that you were able to. For me (Especially in the case of the RoadKing) it took time and experimentation.

Saying I don't know how to use my ears because it takes me longer to get a "good" sound [out of an amp that is known to be a tweaker's playground] is idiotic.

IMHO, not being able to get a "good" sound in two seconds out of what is universally known to be a great amp is not the mark of bad ears, its the mark of great ears.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681

Like I said, he could sell the Roadster for more if he wants to make a profit, since he found the two amps for the same price.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by jm1681
IMHO, not being able to get a "good" sound in two seconds out of what is universally known to be a great amp is not the mark of bad ears, its the mark of great ears.

well it's one or the other.

it's a bit like thinking an exam was easy... it's either a really good sign, or a really bad one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?