when im gluing a top onto a body (1/4" top going on a 1 5/8" thick body) what prep steps do i need to do? more or less... should i sand the sides that are jointing to a very fine grain, or keep it rough to let the glue bite. both sides are perfectly flat and square as of now, so i dont wana start messing with it if its gonna make it even worse.

also how many clamps should i be using i was thinking one every 5 square inches or so. as of right now i have 6 c clamps, and was wondering if i put a 50lb weight on the center of blank where the 2 top pieces meet, would that work as well as a clamp or no? to kinda supplement the clamps or do i need to hunt more down? i have a feeling the glue can push against it and not give it as tight of a bond.

i kinda assumed this, but just so i dont f- it up i would get tight bond wood glue and "paint" 100% of the surface area of the boards as opposed to a zig-zag line pattern. ive done the zig-zag way before on another project(not guitar related) and its held up through 2 years of being in the weather, but i was younger and didnt take my time, and honestly, i think i got lucky.

if im forgetting something let me know... im really hoping to get this thing on this weekend, if not tomorrow.
ok i think i need to get my seam of the top that are meeting (had a 1/2" birds eye board bookmatched) cleaned up a bit since thers about a 1/64" gap at one end and i WILL NOT use filler. but other than that, if i can get it done tonight, then this weekend i'll get it put on.
I think that that gap will dissapear when you glue it, and clamp it.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by chris024
i kinda assumed this, but just so i dont f- it up i would get tight bond wood glue and "paint" 100% of the surface area of the boards as opposed to a zig-zag line pattern.

Yeah you want to get both surfaces your gluing wet uniformly over their entire surface, dont leave any space without glue, but it only needs to be a relatively thin layer on both sides and will still produce a fair amount of squeeze out.

I would ruff both sides up with about 240 ish, nothing too brutal.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man