Page 1 of 2
so i finally secured a job and i'm going to be making 120$ a month.

i'll be able to get a new amp (thank god!)

therefore, i need suggestions for a new amp.

i play everything, and i want a thick, fat tone. i play a lot of the get up kids' stuff, as well as basically anything, lol. so a metal/punk/fusion/classic rock/etc amp has been hard to decide on.

i'd been thinking about an orange rocker 30, but it's so damn expensive plus my parents won't let me buy anything that expensive, even if it's my own money. i'd also been thinking on the peavey jsx.

so give me some suggestions.

btw, tube only, i'm tired of solid state crap. and i don't need a lot of wattage, so don't say "zomg 100w d00d".
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
I have my Dual rec for sale in the classifieds.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
I have my Dual rec for sale in the classifieds.

well i won't have the money for quite a while, so no thanks.

also, i should probably specify that i'd like more than a 112, the only reason i'd been thinking the rocker 30 was that it was the cheapest orange amp.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by acdcrocks0323
A 112 is plenty enough for any application.

true, but i've always wanted a head and cab, or at least a 212. it's a personal thing.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

hahahahaahsjdsaldasd';re

anyways

Get a JSX 40 watt 212 combo. it'll do whatever you want. They go for $500-750 used i think.
Quote by injected
hahahahaahsjdsaldasd';re

anyways

Get a JSX 40 watt 212 combo. it'll do whatever you want. They go for $500-750 used i think.

yes, i'd been thinking on the JSX combo.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by hotsnakes
true, but i've always wanted a head and cab, or at least a 212. it's a personal thing.

I understand, later in life you will want a corvette. Maybe a Classic 30 head and cab. On a lower budget I would look at a crate v33 head and decent od for the metal end of things.

Also they won't let you get a Rocker 30, but a JSX is ok? Not following your reasoning there.
I think a head and 2x12 is more convenient than a combo but unless you have $1500-$2000+ to spend, I wouldn't go for a half stack or head and 2x12. You can get more for your money with a combo if you're under that budget.
Quote by gregs1020
I understand, later in life you will want a corvette. Maybe a Classic 30 head and cab. On a lower budget I would look at a crate v33 head and decent od for the metal end of things.

Also they won't let you get a Rocker 30, but a JSX is ok? Not following your reasoning there.

i had found a used jsx for 800 and i told them that it'd be about that much.

maybe, just maybe, i can convince my parents to let me go for a rocker 30 head and 212, that would be awesome.

edit: i'd also thought about a tiny terror but i don't think it could get loud enough to play with a drummer nor is it able to fill all the styles i need it to.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by hotsnakes at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by al112987
A tiny terror through a 4x12 can keep up with a drummer just fine.

ah, see, i don't want a 4x12. i don't have much room if i really needed it.

plus, what about my versatility question?
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by al112987
Even through a 2x12 it can keep up with drummers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc

At the end of the video, Rob Chappers plays the tiny terror with a drummer.

and versatility?
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

You're getting paid $120 a month? That's like $30 a week! Which is like $4 a day!
Where are you working dude?

Look into the Randall RG50tc.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
You're getting paid $120 a month? That's like $30 a week! Which is like $4 a day!

Look into the Randall RG50tc.

lol I was actually thinking the same thing but didn't want to ask.
what will the amp be used for?
bedroom practice?
band practice?
gigs?
we all want what your describing, when you find an amp to do that I want to be the first to know.
Quote by hotsnakes
i had found a used jsx for 800 and i told them that it'd be about that much.

Well looking used is a great idea. JSX is 120 watts, so dOOd, it's what you said you didn't want. The TT is worth a good look, they show up used on craigslist from time to time for $450 ish. That should leave you with enough room for a cab. (Avatar 2x12 @ $300ish). I didn't like the cleans on the TT, but that's my opinion. Tube amps tend to be one trick ponies, the F-30 as mentioned earlier gets great cleans and has tons of gain for harder stuff. I recently grabbed a H&K 20th Anniversary Edition amp, it's like 2 different amps, great cleans and gobs of gain on the lead channel. ($360 used, retail $750). That is the kind of thing you be looking for. Keep your options open, look used, and try before you buy.
Quote by Moe.

mowing a lawn

and i need the amp for bedroom/band practice, recording, and small gigs
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by hotsnakes
mowing a crapload of lawns

Fixed.

You stated earlier that you won't have the money for quite a while. So why not bite the bullet, grab a used VK-112 and bad monkey to use for a year or so until you can afford something much better? VK's get bashed to heII on this site, but I thought it was a decent amp. (Used for $250-275). Or a used Crate VC3112? ($225-$275). Or a Classic 30 used, $300-350? Sure we all want great gear, but maybe some common sense would say to hold off on a $800 amp until you really can afford it.
^If he doesn't buy an intermediate amp now, he can reach the end goal sooner!
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^If he doesn't buy an intermediate amp now, he can reach the end goal sooner!

I know, but that's a lot of lawns and time before he can. I'm just thinking he'd be better off with used stuff he can unload later and not take too big of a hit reselling and he can have decent tone, albeit not "pro" tone but certainly good enough for hanging with buds and rocking out. At least until he saves enough to upgrade later.
^That's a fair point. As long as he buys used he won't lose much money if he wants to sale it later to upgrade.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by al112987
I think a head and 2x12 is more convenient than a combo but unless you have $1500-$2000+ to spend, I wouldn't go for a half stack or head and 2x12. You can get more for your money with a combo if you're under that budget.

+1

oranges are nice, but they're expensive in the states. how about a kustom coupe? from what i remember from it, it was pretty fat-sounding, and it's pretty versatile.

obviously try it first to make sure you like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

oranges are nice, but they're expensive in the states. how about a kustom coupe? from what i remember from it, it was pretty fat-sounding, and it's pretty versatile.

obviously try it first to make sure you like it.

i'll look into it

yeah, the guitar stores around here carry like peavey, crate, marshall, b52 and that's about it, so i usually look on craigslist so i can try before i buy.

by the way, it's only one lawn, once a week, 30 dollars each time.

the woman whose lawn i'm mowing has known me since i was like 7, i'm practically the son she never had

btw, i've tried the vk112 and i wanted to like it, i really did, but it couldn't cut it for me. although next time i'm able to try it i should bring my tubescreamer.

also, i'm not looking for intermediate amps, because i think i might get one of those for christmas this is far in the future, so i want to be able to get a good list of amps and try them out before i can buy them.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

the coupe's a lot nicer than the VK (in my opinion, anyway). but obviously you may not agree. doesn't hurt to do a bunch of research, even if you aren't buying for a while...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ignoring wattage, how's the kustom quad? is it versatile? good at low volumes?

is it tube?
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by hotsnakes at Aug 14, 2008,
i haven't tried it, but i don't think it's tube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, so far I've narrowed it down to:

Intermediate (pretty much if i were getting an amp for christmas)
VK112/212 (only if it sounds better w/ the tubescreamer)
Randall RG50TC
Marshall Valvestate (still a bit iffy here, but Valvestate and NOT MG)
Classic 30 (but can it do metal with a boost?)

High-end (what i'd be buying with lawnmowing money)
Orange Rocker 30
Orange Tiny Terror
Peavey Ultra Plus
Peavey JSX
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by hotsnakes at Aug 15, 2008,
I admire your research methods dude!

I like the lists you are creating as well. I wish more people would do what you are doing instead of relying on UG for everything and asking stupid questions because they don't know how to search on anything.

oh, and yes the VK sounds much better with an OD, and you don't need a 212. Not sure about the Classic doing metal.

good luck with your search and PS....I'm glad it is one lawn a week for $30 and not 1 lawn a day for $4. Pick up some more yards while you are at it, haul stuff for little old ladies, paint houses, rake leaves whatever you gotta do.

Wait, so your going to cut that much grass for a high end amp AND get a intermediate amp for Christmas? I think you should save save save and ask for a Gift Card or something for xmas and then just get the amp you really want with all the money.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I admire your research methods dude!

I like the lists you are creating as well. I wish more people would do what you are doing instead of relying on UG for everything and asking stupid questions because they don't know how to search on anything.

oh, and yes the VK sounds much better with an OD, and you don't need a 212. Not sure about the Classic doing metal.

good luck with your search and PS....I'm glad it is one lawn a week for $30 and not 1 lawn a day for $4. Pick up some more yards while you are at it, haul stuff for little old ladies, paint houses, rake leaves whatever you gotta do.

Wait, so your going to cut that much grass for a high end amp AND get a intermediate amp for Christmas? I think you should save save save and ask for a Gift Card or something for xmas and then just get the amp you really want with all the money.

Well basically, I complained a lot before I got the lawn mowing job that my amp sucked and I wanted a new one, and basically they said "which one?" So that way, I'll have an intermediate amp and that can last me a while until I make some good money for the high-end one. I have tons of aunts and uncles though, so I can get a decent amount of money at Christmas/birthday.

I would have gone for the money only, no intermediate amp, but my crappy little Crate 20-watt has me chomping at the bit for something that isn't such a piece.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Well I've decided to go for the Randall. Seems like the best out of the four intermediates.

Also, it turns out the lawn-mowing thing might not work out. I might have to bag groceries for my Rocker 30
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

so do whatever you gotta do man.

it still sounds like you are expecting 2 amps out of this. i still say you consolidate all of these efforts and focus on one amp that is decent that will get you going.

you can always sell and trade up later.

hum.......
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

you can always sell and trade up later.

that's the plan. help my parents pay for the randall, then once i make enough i can sell it and then i'll have the money for the orange.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by hotsnakes
that's the plan. help my parents pay for the randall, then once i make enough i can sell it and then i'll have the money for the orange.

ha ha ha...ok...that makes sense. it does.

kudos again for pitching in
Quote by hotsnakes

I hope you're not assuming that you're going to get equal value back for an amp that you sell.

Just wait and save up a little bit longer and buy the Orange.
Page 1 of 2