How many of you actually learned guitar, like the "official" way? For example guitar lessons or even just taught yourself musical theory, scales and terms and stuff. Or how many of you just learned from tabs?

Myself I've been taking guitar lessons for two weeks now, I have a good memory, so I learn pretty fast.

But I'm interested in you guys.
I learned a lot of my theory from just listening to cd and playing with them. After a while, i noticed certain patterns that I later recognized as keys and scales. Then i started playing in the school band as a saxophone player. This is where i learned the classical method of music.
Tabs for me. Tabs and bits and pieces i picked up asking people who i knew played. Its a **** way to learn, i wouldn't recommend it.
Quote by red18420
Tabs for me. Tabs and bits and pieces i picked up asking people who i knew played. Its a **** way to learn, i wouldn't recommend it.

as if. thats what i did, i think i'm doing fine for 4 years playing.

i listen to alot of prog stuff, and learn tricky and alternative chords
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
I took a couple years of piano lessons when i was younger, then played trombone in band, then picked up guitar. I've been reading off tabs so far, and learning some theory from this site and others, and reading/viewing lessons online. I've been playing for like 10 months, and I'm happy where I am.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
i taught myself songs through tabs initially and started trying to write my own songs after about a year (they were awful for the most part) but i kept learning other songs and writing my own stuff and eventually started getting better and wanted to figure out why what i thought sounded good, sounded good. so i started learning music theory, i got books and read them often cover to cover, over and over
Quote by z4twenny
i taught myself songs through tabs initially and started trying to write my own songs after about a year (they were awful for the most part) but i kept learning other songs and writing my own stuff and eventually started getting better and wanted to figure out why what i thought sounded good, sounded good. so i started learning music theory, i got books and read them often cover to cover, over and over

same here
ive read so many theory books its not even funny
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
i Learned How To Play Guitar Through Tabs But Already Played Different Instruments , But I Think Its Better To Learn The Real Way
Quote by the Nirvana
I'm interested in you guys.

to you too....maybe I took that out of context though.

Anyway, I did a little bit of both; I learned quite a bit from tabs but I do a lot by ear and I also have an understanding of the basics of theory. I'd say it's helpful to achieve some sort of balance; while taking the "musical" approach is good, it's still fun to quickly find a tab and learn something that you think would be cool to know.
I learned from tab when I started. Picked up more than a little theory here and there over the years. I have never had a formal teacher only friends that had taken a few lessons. But the majority of the theory I have learnt I have learnt through self instruction by reading books about established musical theory, lots of practice, and through taking lots of notes based on my own observations about how music works. I am just passionate about music and want to know as much as possible with the goal of becoming completely fluent.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Aug 14, 2008,
I had a teacher for a while but I mainly learned songs from him and little theory. I learnt theory online from lessons and in books from the library. I still don't know much about theory, but I'm getting there. I also still play tabs and try to learn songs on powertab often because it's fun
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I'm totally self taught, but not really out of choice. Most of what I've learned I've learned off of the internet, that includes music theory. I can read music but I also use tablature too. I'm pretty good with scales and keys and all that. I'm not very good at providing precise chord names, but I know enough about intervals that I can build them anyway without knowing how to provide a correct name.
i had lessons and there learnt some basic theory and all the techniques and stuff, but i also used this site to teach myself loads and loads of theory, by looking at the columns/lessons and writing questions in the forum

it's worked really well for me
been playin 7 months and i just started teachin myself theory (dont have lessons.... too cheap for that!) no not really but i find that you get a better insight into music when you know not just how but also why.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Mate I had lessons for say, two months, but my teacher was one of them p***** who believe it's in their best interests for their students to not do as well as they can so i'd stick around longer. Well I knew he was **** so I left him lol. Tbf, he ddnt teach me ANYTHING, no scales, no theory and a couple of chords. he would tab me out a few songs n then just leave me. But theory is important, I've had to self teach myself all i know, but I'd definitely recommend learning it, mate
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Quote by demonofthenight
lulz, idk thory cuz thory iz 4 soulss zombis hu cnt play, lulz.

/failling troll

Well you obviously arent a very good guitar player. I suppose you can't improvise well, without any scales, and I would imagine anything you write sounds like ****.
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

I started playing when I was 8 and took private lessons almost straight through until I was 18 and leaving for college. Grew up on country, then pop/hip-hop, then around 11 or 12, got into classic rock and really got into guitar more. Then went on to prog and modern rock in high school and took music theory classes my last two years in high school. Started dabbling in classical late in high school. Decided I wanted to go to Berklee and off I went. Spent the first two years as a dual major (Guitar Performance and Classical Composition, although they just call it Composition), then third year switched entirely to Composition when I realized that as long as I knew theory really well, I could pretty much teach myself anything I wanted to learn on the guitar. I also got VERY into music History, so focusing entirely on Composition allowed me to spread out into history, theory, and composition, all at the same time.

Botton line, if you develop your ear and learn your theory well, apart from some neat tricks, you can really begin to teach yourself. Although, private lessons will often help a student grow at a more rapid pace if the teacher is competent and they work well together. I took two and a half years of private lessons at Berklee with Joe Stump, Jon Finn, and a few others, and they were extremely helpful so long as I practiced (I mean REALLY practiced like alone in a practice room with a metronome, charts, scales, chord voicings, etc, and not just jamming along to tunes; although, that is a big part of development, also).

I'm now 24, graduated from Berklee when I was 22 and took two years off to pay off student loans. I applied to grad schools for Musicology but got into / started up a really great band back in February and things have been moving like crazy, so I'm giving it 100% for now and putting grad school on the back burner until I can say I've given this band everything I've got and it either happens or doesn't.
Last edited by PSM at Aug 14, 2008,
through picking stuff up off records with my ear, and also learning music theory and using it to make sense of what I was listening to
Quote by Stearner
Well you obviously arent a very good guitar player. I suppose you can't improvise well, without any scales, and I would imagine anything you write sounds like ****.
Hooked, line and sinker. This troll reels one in.
Quote by demonofthenight

how could someone fall for that unless this was like their first time ever coming into MT?
I took 8 years of piano lessons, and then 2 years of theory lessons after that. So I know a good amount of music theory.
Quote by demonofthenight

Lol, didn't expect anything from that, especially with /troll at the bottom.

Anyways, I know theory probably only because my father is a conductor and I've been in music since I was young. I want to be a music teacher someday, so I have to know it. Although, I enjoy learning theory and expanding my musical bank.
Quote by Stearner

Quote by sbinlb
i Learned How To Play Guitar Through Tabs But Already Played Different Instruments , But I Think Its Better To Learn The Real Way

Love your caps, especially how the only word you didn't capitalize the first letter of was the first word in your sentence.
/sarcasm
Seriously, don't do that.
I've learned guitar through tab and reading proper notation, but what theory I know I've learned from classes.
I took a musical theory class last year at my college (for starters LOL), and once I applied it to my playing I got three times as good at improvising, especially learning how to properly bring a lick/scale you're doing or whatever to a good end.
I really want to learn theory, but I live in a small town, and haven't found a SINGLE BASS TEACHER. I tried teaching myself online, with books, etc., but I'm just having a hell of a time because I learn by watching I guess. It's difficult to actually read something and be able to go and play it for me. Yes, I'm frustrated.