I've noticed that when I'm shredding, my pinky sort of flies through the air and slaps the fret as opposed to pressing it down. This sort of makes a sound that I really don't like. I don't know why this happens (Although I'm sure I have a fair bit of strength in that finger).

When I am speed picking, I realized that I am picking with my arm and I'm not getting any faster. I've tried picking with my wrist, but without realizing it, I eventually just go back to using my arm anyway. How do I fix it?

Sorry if I don't make much sense, I'm really tired.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

I too pick with my arm. My bicep always tenses up when speed picking. I don't know if it's bad, and was actually going to make a new topic about it, but it seems like we can get two birds with one stone here.
The slaps are caused by weak fingers, just do exorcises and **** that makes your pinky tired. As for the wrist thing, either your wrist is weak too and you need to do **** to make it build up or you should try docking it somehow. I know some players put their pink and/or ring finger on the pickguard but i prefer resting my palm on the unused strings. Try those and see what happens.

Thanks guys!
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

For the picking with the arm thing, wear a watch or another weighted object, it actually helped me a lot, it kind of forced me to use my wrist.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by red18420
...or you should try docking it somehow. I know some players put their pink and/or ring finger on the pickguard but i prefer resting my palm on the unused strings. Try those and see what happens.

Learning to pick free-hand (without anchoring your fingers) would be your best option. It's gonna take analyzing your picking hand at extremely slow speeds and being patient enough to work up a proficient wrist picking motion. The tense arm won't get you too far.
Yeah I'm also curious (actually i just wanted to post a thread, but found this thread).
Ok, my problem is pretty much the same: for example, when I play on the e string frets 12 14 15 14 12 (fingers 1 3 4) my pinky kinda slaps and doesn't press the string hard enough to ring a clean sound (the sound is rapid but ugly, I don't know how to describe it precisely ).
And also I wanted to know if it's better to let the 3 - ring finger stay on the fret pressing down the string and then press the string down with pinky and after that lift the pinky up from the fret, or better lift 3rd finger and then press down string with pinky, lift pinky and press down with 3rd finger?
p.s. I'm asking this, because I feel that for me it is easier to acomplish the 2nd example.
Oh, and maybe there are some exercises what you could suggest getting those fingers coordinated.
Really thanks!
^ well i recommend being able to lift it off when you want to for accuracy issues, but your hand will want to naturally keep your ring finger down when your pinky goes down because of the way the muscles in your hand are intertwined. its totally possible to do, it just takes some practice to get good finger independence.
Sounds like the TS needs to watch freepower's lessons. Basically the gist is that you're not practicing slowly enought to gain complete control over your body; practice slow enough to have complete control over what you're doing and practice until you don't have to think about it. Once you can do that then start speeding up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.