It doesnt have very much gain. But If you use it with a tube amp and push the clean channels volume to the point of breaking up then yes.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
the majority of GNR dirty sound is heavily driven mid gain. so if you have an amp that can get dirty on it's own and then boost that, then yes....but how CLOSE it will sound to GNR is a different thing. you want lots of crunch and harmonics, raw sounding. so if you can manage that w/ whatever amp you've got, then yes.

if you have a SS amp, don't bother w/ an OD pedal atm.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Amp?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well that's tuff luck man, if you can't crank even 5 watts then your options are kinda limited: either get a good sounding SS amp or something like the Blackheart killer ant (1/4 watt? somethin like that).

i suggest getting the blackheart killer ant in this case, and if you can't crank THAT then you should stick to SS amps and make do.

of course you could get an attenuator but that WILL cost $100 or more, depends on how much you're willing to spend. if you know that you'll always be a hobby player and never really use all 5 watts of the epi valve jr, then get a killer ant and OD that. if you WILL want all the volume of the 5 watts or more then get an attenuator for now.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
you could try an overdrive that has a little more gain than the bad monkey then use it to boost your valve junior
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}