Page 1 of 2
Which one setup sounds better:
81 in neck and 85 in bridge
or the 85 in the neck and the 81 in the bridge?
just curious what everyone thinks
Music and sutff
85 at the bridge, 81 at the neck.

The 85 is higher output, and thus, better for lead.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
true 85 bridge 81 neck sounds better of the two but i think the 60 is better because i like its overall tone better

81 higher out put 85 beefier low end and fatter top

EDIT wow there were quite a few "better"s in my post.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Aug 13, 2008,
I prefer to have my 81 in the bridge, and 85 in the neck position. I've actually never heard of anyone asking that question, even when you take a guitar to a tech to get it done, they don't even ask, they just put the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck (that is if you take it to a tech)
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
true 85 bridge 81 neck sounds better of the two but i think the 60 is better because i like its overall tone better
EDIT wow there were quite a few "better"s in my post.

Oh, we're getting into pickup recommendations now?

EMG 89 in the bridge and EMG H4 in neck, as it's essentially an 85/81 set, but the 89 is a Split Coil and the H4 is passive.
Then you're guitar won't totally **** out while playing if batteries die.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Oh, we're getting into pickup recommendations now?

EMG 89 in the bridge and EMG H4 in neck, as it's essentially an 85/81 set, but the 89 is a Split Coil and the H4 is passive.
Then you're guitar won't totally **** out while playing if batteries die.

true but the H4 sounds very passive it just doesnt have enough "oomph" for certain players like myself.even through a cranked 6505 combo.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
i've never heard of somebody putting the 81 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge..
the 81 is designed as a "lead guitar" pick up according to the emg site..

having said this, when i had my emgs installed, they put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck so i had to ask them to reverse it.
it is all personal preference.

I prefer the 81 in the bridge, but the 85 sounds great in the bridge as well
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i tried the 85 in the bridge and hated it, too beefy and lost all the tight low end you buy emgs for in the first place, and also i like the 60 better then that anyways so my favourite combo so favourite is

60 neck and 81 bridge
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
If you ask me it should go as 81 in the bridge, 85/60 in the neck.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
true but the H4 sounds very passive it just doesnt have enough "oomph" for certain players like myself.even through a cranked 6505 combo.

Damn man, how much 'oomph' you need?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Damn man, how much 'oomph' you need?

well i need my sound to be crushing and thus i just swapped my emgs on my jackson to 18v modded duncan metal blackouts a duncan twin tube mayhem and a 6505 combo if you were ever in my area id show you just how cruching it is. it rivals Krank stacks. im sooooo proud of it

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by SiegeCrew

blackouts ftw.

seriously, theyre much better.

Band wagons ftl.

Seriously, they're much pathetic.

Why does everyone hate EMGs? I don't understand.
Signatures are overrated.
81/85, 89/60, 89/85, 81/60, 85/89, etc.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
i gotta admit i am a fan of coil-tapping so the 89/81TW for me. if possible use a H4A/81 that way you have your passive for when the battery dies and you still have a 81 for your leads.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Moe.

Band wagons ftl.

Seriously, they're much pathetic.

Why does everyone hate EMGs? I don't understand.

they sound sterile. thats just imo.

ive never played either, but i saw a side by side comparison with blackouts. i liked the blackouts a lot more.
For the most versatile setup, I would recommend an 81TW in the bridge positon, and 89 in the neck position because both of them can be coil-split. For an even more versatile setup put a volume and tone knob/coil-tap for each pickup so you can get HH, HS, SH, SS configuration out of your guitar. As far as the 81 in the neck position, and 85 in the bridge, the only player I know who uses that setup is Jon Donais from Shadows fall. He use it on his Washburn Face eraser guitar, and his new ESP custom shop model.
overall i'd stick with the 81 in the bridge and the 60 in the neck,

however for you're combo's 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck would be my personal choice.and for those of you saying you should have a passive for when the battery dies ... why?

seriously, thats just really pointless ... it's just a 9 volt battery .. not like they're hard to find to replace and they last a good while aswell.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by ooftymcgoofty
i've never heard of somebody putting the 81 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge..
the 81 is designed as a "lead guitar" pick up according to the emg site..

having said this, when i had my emgs installed, they put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck so i had to ask them to reverse it.

As I Lay Dyings guitarist did this! (:

but i would say best is 81/60 because you have the brootal metal high output pickup then nice warm cleans with the 60
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
well i need my sound to be crushing and thus i just swapped my emgs on my jackson to 18v modded duncan metal blackouts a duncan twin tube mayhem and a 6505 combo if you were ever in my area id show you just how cruching it is. it rivals Krank stacks. im sooooo proud of it

Naa man its no problem, I was being half sarcastic. Its a personal preference with tone, glad you found something you like and are proud of
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
My Donais model came with an 85 in the bridge position and an 81 in the neck position.

After playing it for a few weeks like that, IMHO, the 81 is NOT a good neck pickup. It doesn't sound like a neck pickup should IMHO. Its not really robust like the 85.

The 85 on the otherhand wasn't too bad a bridge pickup. Very full and punchy, but, after switching the positions this past weekend, I'd never look back (Especially in an all-mahogany guitar). The 81 is much better suited to bridge duties as its got more bite and a tighter sound.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by DSOTM80
Naa man its no problem, I was being half sarcastic. Its a personal preference with tone, glad you found something you like and are proud of

thx i love my setup and it is just so br00t4l that if i turn it up and stand 10-15 feet infront of it my knees shake. its great.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by SiegeCrew

blackouts ftw.

seriously, theyre much better.

I think people Including me like blackouts because they sound harder and cleaner then the 85/81 setup all at the sametime
EMG 85 in the bridge is probably better for brighter sounding guitars, ie. Strats, Jacksons and Ibanezs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Eric 666
I had a friend of mine who had dual 85's.

That's the Marcus Henderson setup....

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by mohawkkidJohn

Can you still get any more head room with the 18v mod on the SD. Your gig sounds like it puts out a wall of sound
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by StealthyHayze
i think you need blackouts instead.

BANDWAGON!

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
BANDWAGON!

yes cause we all know people who like having a dynamic range and organic, unsterile tone are all one some huge bandwagon
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by ash_attack
yes cause we all know people who like having a dynamic range and organic, unsterile tone are all one some huge bandwagon

His only guitar is a Epi LP Special II according to his profile too.. probably doesn't even have EMGs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by ash_attack

No. I have tried out guitars with the Blackouts, and EMG's, and I prefer the EMG's. Not saying the Blackouts are bad, but a lot of people jump on the bandwagon because Alexi uses them.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
No. I have tried out guitars with the Blackouts, and EMG's, and I prefer the EMG's. Not saying the Blackouts are bad, but a lot of people jump on the bandwagon because Alexi uses them.

yes and im sure most of these famous artist are switching cause their on a band wagon? not just because they sound better oh dear god no
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Artists don't switch due to band wagons; players switch due to band wagons. Artists are those who set the trend. Look at ZW's 81/85 combo; it gets put out, and almost everybody wants it.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by ash_attack
yes and im sure most of these famous artist are switching cause their on a band wagon? not just because they sound better oh dear god no

Yea, because some artists replaced their pickups it must mean that the EMGs are utter crap, right.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by lokster
Yea, because some artists replaced their pickups it must mean that the EMGs are utter crap, right.

Or that Blackouts are better for their needs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
i hate alexi laiho thank you. i like blackouts better. id rather stick with PAFs though.
Page 1 of 2