Page 1 of 2
Hello, I recently applied to Berklee College of Music in Boston and have an audition coming up.

Unfortunatly it was kind of a last minute thing for multiple reasons and I applied very late and only have about a week to prep for my audition.

I have been playing guitar for 8 years and would consider myself pretty knowledgable and experienced.

One of the parts of the audition is to play a piece of our choice....when i heard this...my head started spinning......to start off...i improv more than anything else and usually dont like playing other peoples work for an audition.....but ...thats what they want......but i have no idea what to play...

i was considering playing either...

comfortable by john mayer
why georgia by john mayer
or
californication by red hot chili peppers....

i can play all 3 very well and have a great time doing so.....and usually try to throw in my own thing while playin.....

i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or comments bout this audition process or what i should be playing.........thanks!
i really really really doubt those songs (yes even californication lol) can impress whoever is doing the audition... but thats just my opinion...
mmm dude, personally id say californication.
but, do u have a loop station? if u do, ask them if u can do a piece of ur own.
then u just record a rythm track on the loop station and immediatly play the lead over it
knocksvil wrote:

Ted Jensen said "I'm not proud to be associated with this one.".. nice one Ted.. now go and jump in the fire
I wouldn't worry too much about the audition, you're just going to end up dropping out after freshman year.
THROUGH TEH FIRE AND FLAMES!!!! DRAGONFORCE IIISSSS SOOOO GOOOOOOD !!!!!! HERAMN AND SAM ARE AMAZING!!!!!

No, but honestly I have a much different musical taste than you and you would not agree with my suggestions probably. But good luck anyway.
im interested in going there(im going into 11th grade) and i was reading about it.
i would play something that theyre not expecting to hear but would like it.
deff not californication(if red hot chili peppers maybe scar tissue or something like under the bridge) i guess they would expect under the bridge
john mayer would be good.
if i audition im thinking about some of Eric Clapton's unplugged album? like tears in heaven or layla?
idk man good luck and tell me about it.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Do you own a 12 string?

I played "Ocean" by the John Butler Trio and beat everyone out at my school for a scholarship for $5,000...

However, this was coupled with Piano, Sax, and Violin. BE sure to remember you will have competition with people who can play several instruments.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by DeusExMachina90
I wouldn't worry too much about the audition, you're just going to end up dropping out after freshman year.

Why?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Play something that is comfortable and best represents your style, but still retains a unique identity.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Do you own a 12 string?

I played "Ocean" by the John Butler Trio and beat everyone out at my school for a scholarship for $5,000...

However, this was coupled with Piano, Sax, and Violin. BE sure to remember you will have competition with people who can play several instruments.

that is a great song.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Why?

1. A lot of people there find out music is actually work, and not rawkin out all day.
2. Difficult. Boohoo.
3. Berklee enforces stylistic variety, which means you have to study styles that you don't like/hate.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
TS: Are you applying for the fall semester or spring semester?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I know a kid that auditioned and got in there and he played a classical piece. He also practiced it for about 4 months daily. If you have only a week to prep, I'd just stick with a song that you know like the back of your hand.
wouldn't auditioning a john mayer song insult berklee, what with him dropping out and becoming famous anyway?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
If you know those songs perfectly, stick with one of those. I would be more worried about the sight-reading portion of the audition. Better start cramming.
Well, I am a sophomore (10th grade), and I am also interested in going there.
I would definitely not play any John Mayer. I love John Mayer, but he is an alumnus of Berklee, can you imagine how many people play his stuff in hopes of getting in?

And if you are going for RHCP, definitely something more musical then Californication. Either Scar Tissue or Snow( Hey Oh).

I am personally planning on doing some Clapton, or Scar Tissue :P
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Well, I am a sophomore (10th grade), and I am also interested in going there.
I would definitely not play any John Mayer. I love John Mayer, but he is an alumnus of Berklee, can you imagine how many people play his stuff in hopes of getting in?

And if you are going for RHCP, definitely something more musical then Californication. Either Scar Tissue or Snow( Hey Oh).

I am personally planning on doing some Clapton, or Scar Tissue :P

Don't do Clapton.

I'm going to be a senior and am going to apply to Berklee, I have the PERFECT Fusion piece ready, but I'll keep that to myself.
been said before, play cliffs of dover. it shows you have a little blues, little rock, little shred abilities.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I'm going to try and do a medley of different styles, even ones I don't like (like neoclassical death metal). Probably start with something like Take Five, switch to a more funk/fusion thing, then start riffing around, start techniquing around, and do a bunch of teases in between. Although it might not count as a "piece".
Quote by sloppyjoe24
wouldn't auditioning a john mayer song insult berklee, what with him dropping out and becoming famous anyway?

Well, they still seem to love him, they had him back to do like a three hour seminar on songwriting.
Quote by GentlyWeeps
I'm going to try and do a medley of different styles, even ones I don't like (like neoclassical death metal). Probably start with something like Take Five, switch to a more funk/fusion thing, then start riffing around, start techniquing around, and do a bunch of teases in between. Although it might not count as a "piece".

That's a terrible idea.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i was also considering over the hills and far away by zeppelin..........any comments?...
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Why?

The attrition rate at Berklee is sky-high. It seems most people drop out because...

a.) The academics are despairing...but in all fairness, that's not why you're there.

b.) They have no idea what a rigorous music education entails, and only went in the first place because their rich parents couldn't get them to do anything else.

c.) They realize their individual musical goals could be achieved without a $40,000/year education.

I have nothing bad to say about the school, minus the bit about the academics. You just have to know what you're getting into. And most of the entering students don't.

@ TS: Good luck with the audition. And get some tuition insurance if you decide to go.
I don't know if it's just me but all the songs mentioned are fairly easy and well, not really that elaborate.

Of course, being a week away from the audition you don't have the time to prepare something else, but if you tried something like Manhattan by Eric Johnson maybe? don't you get more kudos for pulling off that stuff?
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Quote by zoodie
i was also considering over the hills and far away by zeppelin..........any comments?...

I'd say thats much better than the others but I would play some jazz, ocean like mentioned before or maybe even Dee by Randy Rhoads it sounds impressive and fairly easy to learn.
heres the thing.....its just that im much more of an improv guy.......yea i used to learn and play songs like years ago but mostly tday i just get up with my band.....write my own stuff....n improv.....im just so lost right now.....lol....
Quote by waterproofpie
I know a kid that auditioned and got in there and he played a classical piece. He also practiced it for about 4 months daily. If you have only a week to prep, I'd just stick with a song that you know like the back of your hand.

4 months EVERY DAY???

Is he John Petrucci v.2.0? Has he perfected Time Travel?
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by zoodie
heres the thing.....its just that im much more of an improv guy.......yea i used to learn and play songs like years ago but mostly tday i just get up with my band.....write my own stuff....n improv.....im just so lost right now.....lol....

You can improv...

Just bring a backing cd.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
That is actually the only thing that's making me apprehensive about going to Berklee - the academics.

That's a pretty big factor...

I think it depends on the classes you take.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by rooney1991
I Cum Blood

OH MAN STILL A RIOT AFTER 10000000000000 TIMES DONE OVER and over and over and over.
Quote by Xiaoxi
You can improv...

Just bring a backing cd.

That's a pretty big factor...

I think it depends on the classes you take.

I never said it wasn't a big factor.

I guess I should set my sights on NYU or Columbia then.
The lead guitarist in my band did a similar audition for Belmont's music program in Tennessee. He was like one out of thousand kids that made it in, I'm jealous haha.

As for a song, don't worry about picking out anything to technical, just find something your comfortable with and know you can make sound great. The auditions are going to be more about your style and dynamics than your technical skill. Just be sure to include a lot of variety in your playing and try not to mess up!
I think I've read somewhere that they also do an improv and an interview to determine your knowledge of theory.

I couldn't tell you a specific song, but it sounds like you'd be fine for 2/3s of the audition. Good luck
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
play Covered in Rain by John Mayer, because it appears that you are familiar with some of his stuff, and because there's a better chance that that will impress.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
4 months EVERY DAY???

Is he John Petrucci v.2.0? Has he perfected Time Travel?

Well ... for all the people that I know that have pursued music majors in college, they prepared months in advance for their auditions. It's really not that far of a stretch to begin preparing that early. It's just like preparing for NYSSMA.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
I never said it wasn't a big factor.

I guess I should set my sights on NYU or Columbia then.

I don't know about Columbia, but if you want a well rounded education, NYU is where it's at. It goes without saying that NYU has a fantastic arts school/wonderful internship/experience opportunities due to the location, but they also make EVERY student take a wide range of required courses.
Quote by waterproofpie
I don't know about Columbia, but if you want a well rounded education, NYU is where it's at. It goes without saying that NYU has a fantastic arts school/wonderful internship/experience opportunities due to the location, but they also make EVERY student take a wide range of required courses.

Yeah I'm leaning towards NYU also, my older sister goes there currently so that would be a plus. Music would be my first love, but I would really like to study Literature, Human History, and other subjects that Berklee obviously cannot offer. Is that where you plan on attending?

Last edited by JeffWiredBeck24 at Aug 13, 2008,
Wait so can someone explain to me what the auditions are like?
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Page 1 of 2