8 23%
EHX Big Muff Pi
7 20%
MXR M-104 DISTORTION +
4 11%
Other... Specify
11 31%
Voters: 35.
I'm looking for good distorsion pedals. I want to get a hi-gain, metal tone through a Traynor YCV50.

Any suggestions ?
Last edited by slappyx at Aug 13, 2008,
Amp? what tone are you after?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Other. Ibanez TS9 FTW.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Distortion, not overdrive.^

Ohh. My bad.

Well, I can't say much..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Will you consider an OD pedal over your cranked OD channel to get you the gain you need? That is at least worth looking into.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I love my Rat. It is great for thrash, but I have a feeling that is not what you're after. The only problem with a distortion over an overdrive with you're amp-you'll lose some of the subtle nuances of your notes (if playing single note lines). If it is for some chugga-chugga stuff though, the distortion would be fine.
OD pedal, Ibanez TS9/TS808.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
dude with a traynor get an overdrive (ibanez ts-9 or fulltone ocd) and drive your amp

distortion pedals defeat the purpose of having a nice amp!

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

It's better to use overdrive on an already overdiven sound... gets it nice tight and thick...

Fulltone OCD
Modded Ts9
Modded Boss Ds-1
EHX Russian Muff does the job for me.
Quote by starsnostars
Quote by joe124
I heart god speed you! black emporer

not enough to spell their name right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

TREMOLO PICKING CRESCENDO CZAR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
the digitech hot head sucks very very badly. dont get it. even if someone gives it to you throw it back in his face. try mi audio crunch box if u have the money. but i personally like the big muff, be it russian or us. fuzzez are my thing.
So, if I understand, distorsion pedals over a good tube amp are pretty useless, isn't it...
^No, bad distortion pedals over a good tube amp are useless.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by slappyx
So, if I understand, distorsion pedals over a good tube amp are pretty useless, isn't it...

Generally. Unless you're trying to coax a metal tone out of a very vintage- voiced amp they're generally a waste. The YCV has a fair amount of gain on tap though, so an OD's probably your best bet.
If not amp distortion channel, i'd go for MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion (actually i own one). Great versatile and powerfull distortion pedal.

Some details and soudsamlpes here: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M151-Doubleshot-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151116&src=3SOSWXXA

This pedal is discontinued, but it's quite easy to buy on eBay or music store.
Eventualy You can buy DD-11 Dime Distortion which is almost the same as M-151. The difference is that they remove the bottom channel from M-151 and call it DD-11. Don't be bothered by the name of DD (as it's supposed to be a Dime signature/tribute model) it sound ROCK, and it's capable to produce the scoop-mids-dime-like sound.

Some DD details: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-DD11-Tribute-Dime-Distortion?sku=151131

I have those two and they sound exactly the same.
Once again, great, versatile distortion, very valve like.
Recomend
I WOULD DEFFENITLY go with the Boss OD-20 pedal. You get all the boss Distortin pedals for $159 and its very compact so look it up.