Hello, i have been playing scales for the past couple of days, and so far no real progress as to playing by ear (actually its more like ZERO). So i was wondering if I should continue playing scales, or as some suggested, spend hours trying to find that one note on the guitar through trial and error and learn it through there. And since we are on the topic of scales. Throughout playing them, should i try to memorize them in anyway?
Learning songs by ear is different for everyone. I picked it up before my friend who has 2 years of playing experience before me. He's a better technical player but cannot compose anything original. It's just different person-to-person.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
It will either come to you or it won't, I was pretty much born with it, I can figure stuff out by ear, most of the time.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
It will either come to you or it won't, I was pretty much born with it, I can figure stuff out by ear, most of the time.

What are you talking about? That's like saying you know math without being taught it.

Everyone needs to study ear training before they know if they have perfect pitch or just have a good ear in general. A lot of people can figure out easy riffs just by trial and error its not really being born with it.

I find a good way to learn is by intervals, rather then just knowing scales and guessing. I'm working on it now, but I'm not very good yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3kC_lYLAZw

This guy is very smart, I don't know how much he knows about music but he seems to know what he's talking about. I would trust him. He even made a program for ear training, I highly suggest you watch that video.
alright, thanks to everyone so far, and thank you for proving the guy wrong "that you are born with it" I really like that youtube video, thanks
Quote by simplekin88
alright, thanks to everyone so far, and thank you for proving the guy wrong "that you are born with it" I really like that youtube video, thanks

No problem. There is an element of truth to that though. People are born with Perfect pitch, but they still have to study and realize that they have it after a while.
Quote by I am wet

Haha..
You learn how to play by ear. It takes tons of practice. Some are more gifted than others though.