i was trying valve amps at guitar center today and the marshall jvm800 did not sound so distorted that i would hope for it to be but that's because i did not crank it up (usually if u play to loud ull piss off other people). also i tried the mesas which are supposed to be god like metal tones but i didn't get that much out of it. same with the peavy valve king, it sounds like a blues tone at low volume. so how much do you have to krank it up in order to get the tube tone everyone loves? (it may be that i set it wrong but i pretty much turned the gain to max and still did not get much)
Quote by Dreaming-V
i was trying valve amps at guitar center today and the marshall jvm800 did not sound so distorted that i would hope for it to be but that's because i did not crank it up (usually if u play to loud ull piss off other people). also i tried the mesas which are supposed to be god like metal tones but i didn't get that much out of it. same with the peavy valve king, it sounds like a blues tone at low volume. so how much do you have to krank it up in order to get the tube tone everyone loves? (it may be that i set it wrong but i pretty much turned the gain to max and still did not get much)

Any of those amps should have plenty of gain. I was able to get br00talz tones out of a VK 212 in less than a minute. What guitar were you playing on?
Use the distorted channel on said amps. Its easy to get a heavy tone out of an amp like a Valveking w/out too much cranking. Crank the gain on the 2nd channel, scoop the mids a bit, crank the gain, set the volume to w/e you want it to be. With a good guitar, it should work well.
ya i have a Peavey Classic 30, and i get some kickass tones out of that even at the low volumes, i dont have to crank it.
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Quote by al112987
Were you using the right channel...?

that's what i'd have thought.

also, if you're used to solid state amps, often they have more "distortion" than tube amps, but once you've been playing tube amps for a while, you'll find you don't need as much distortion to sound as heavy (if that makes sense). cranking will help the heaviness too, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?