Page 1 of 2
funny little story.

When I started playing bass I would go to my local mom and pop music store and drool at the marked up overpriced basses. The Geddy Lee hanging on the wall at the very top always caught my eye. Well tonight they had a sale and had it marked at $600. I couldn't resist. I played it for about 20 mins and man...the action is perfect, the sound is perfect the finish is perfect. Everything is so solid. I've never fell in love with a jazz bass. Ive played squiers, MIMs and MIAs and this Geddy just owns all. I can't wait to get some DRs on it (which by the way Lo Riders are my new love) I was saving up for a telecaster and a tube combo but i'm better at bass so they can wait

Congrats, my cousin has a Geddy as well. I don't really like the feel of them personally, but you got yourself a quality instrument there.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
thats a nice little collection u got there man. ive been eyeballing a geddy sig for a while now
Lucky you, great choice (especially on impulse!), the jazz bass in general is great but there's something about the Lee model I liked so much when I played it.
Is that a StingRay I see???
My dream bass...

EDIT: No, 'tis a Sterling. Stupid untrained eyes. :U
Peavey Fury bass
100 watt SWR Workingman's 12
Nice basses, they're solid as hell. I'm not a fan of the neck, but I'm a huge fan of the sound. Personally I'm more of a P-bass guy, but I do love a good Jazz
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I once made an impulse purchase...
Now I'm trying to sell an Epiphone Thunderbird.....
>.>
Peavey Fury bass
100 watt SWR Workingman's 12
I love impulse buys! I ended up with a fretless Stingray that way.

Very nice bass, girlfriend!. It will bring you great music for many years to come.
you suck. I've been playing just as long as you have, and that one bass is worth more than every bass thing I own put together off sale.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Good call, good purchase. I never felt the need for that extra thin neck, it's a great piece and I've loved the glossy neck.

How are you finding the 70's pickup spacing? Or are you not familiar with Jazzes so I might as well have asked you dsbgkihsdfg aklsopwet qwhjdask?

Those pickups are the same as the ones on the Jaco sig - clear as bells, but quite low-output. How do you feel about them?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i came very close to buying one of those early on. i'm kinda glad i didn't, since i like fat necks, and the musicman sub i bought instead has the perfect neck for me. but the geddys sound great and have a cool look. personally, if i ever bought a jazz bass, it'd be the marcus miller sig.
Quote by thefitz
Good call, good purchase. I never felt the need for that extra thin neck, it's a great piece and I've loved the glossy neck.

How are you finding the 70's pickup spacing? Or are you not familiar with Jazzes so I might as well have asked you dsbgkihsdfg aklsopwet qwhjdask?

Those pickups are the same as the ones on the Jaco sig - clear as bells, but quite low-output. How do you feel about them?

I'm not familiar with regular jazz bass pickup spacing but I plan on checking out my friend's MIA a little closer next time. I love the sound, most jazzes I've played have always seemed weak even the active ones. Its a very smooth yet aggressive.

I have never really cared about neck sizes, but I notice when I play on a thicker neck I feel like I almost am "fighting" the bass. The geddy neck is perfect for me and its faster than the maple neck on my P special.
That is a nice bass. But really do you REALLY need 4 basses? Esp when you already have two p basses and a Sting?
Yeah, not only is the profile of the Geddy considerably flatter than other basses, the nut width is 1.5", as opposed to the 1.625" on your other Fenders (i.e. should share the same width as your Sterling, but much flatter).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thats a good buy.
I was saving for a geddy lee bass but then impulse got me.
I bought a warwick corvette $$ instead xD
Quote by forstringwonder
i admire your income.

+1

Nice collection you got there, I'm trying not to be envious lol. I've never tried a Geddy Lee however if they sound and play as nice as they look I'm sure you're in for a treat.
signature
Quote by Randy Bobandy
That is a nice bass. But really do you REALLY need 4 basses? Esp when you already have two p basses and a Sting?

If you look they're all different. One is an all passive jazz bass, one is an active P/J bass, one is an all passive P bass and the other is a humbucker endowed sterling. All of them are good for different things.

I just think it's too nice... I bet she's a drug dealer.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you look they're all different. One is an all passive jazz bass, one is an active P/J bass, one is an all passive P bass and the other is a humbucker endowed sterling. All of them are good for different things.

I just think it's too nice... I bet she's a drug dealer.

I'm trying to sell the Squier and Crate combo right now, the Fender P was a Christmas present, the Sterling was an ebay impulse buy and you know the story of the Geddy. I got the Sterling for $550 and the Geddy for $600. Thats less than a "real" musicman for two great basses. It might look like I have a expensive collection but reallly they are just average. A good average lol.

If you guys think I have a big collection roll on over to TB and you will see my collection is wimpy lol

Plus musicians don't sell drugs, they do them
Seriously though, what do you do for money? It seems like it wasnt but a month since you were bragging about your MM and a few weeks since the GK rig. Im trying not to eat since I only have around $15 after my G&L and gas.

Awesome rig in general btw.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
True. Thats what I do, but Im terrible at the whole saving part. My impulse buys arent instruments, but are CDs, games (before my 360 broke), and most recently booster packs... Gas and insurance isnt really helping either...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by Miss G
I'm trying to sell the Squier and Crate combo right now, the Fender P was a Christmas present, the Sterling was an ebay impulse buy and you know the story of the Geddy. I got the Sterling for $550 and the Geddy for $600. Thats less than a "real" musicman for two great basses. It might look like I have a expensive collection but reallly they are just average. A good average lol.

If you guys think I have a big collection roll on over to TB and you will see my collection is wimpy lol

Plus musicians don't sell drugs, they do them

Hmm... You seem very thrifty. You're not a drug dealer. YOU'RE A CANADIAN!!
why dont the fender standards come with maple necks, theyre much prettier on jazz basses. Pretty sure the geddy will be my next bass. must be nice to be able to impulse buy one. quite pricey in UK but oh well. may slap a black pickguard on there from time to time
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by CaptainJack666
why dont the fender standards come with maple necks, theyre much prettier on jazz basses. Pretty sure the geddy will be my next bass. must be nice to be able to impulse buy one. quite pricey in UK but oh well. may slap a black pickguard on there from time to time

The Americans do!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
thats true, but my budget is tight these days, i wont be gettin a new bass for at least a year if i decide to get a geddy or similarly priced bass
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Miss G
the deluxe Ps also do, which is why I got one.

exactly! aesthetically speaking its the neck that sells the geddy to me, although i imagine it sounds great too. *starts saving*

oh btw i take it that the blocks are inlayed as supposed to painted on like the squier VM, and is that a screw in the middle of the pickguard? huh
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by CaptainJack666
exactly! aesthetically speaking its the neck that sells the geddy to me, although i imagine it sounds great too. *starts saving*

oh btw i take it that the blocks are inlayed as supposed to painted on like the squier VM, and is that a screw in the middle of the pickguard? huh

Well, some people say they are real inlays, some say they are painted and others say its a bit of both depending when they were made. I honestly can't tell because its the first neck with blocks I've played/seen. Yes thats a screw, it threw me off at first but I guess all real and reissued 70s jazz basses have the screw there or maybe its just CIJ jazzes.

The neck is what really sold my P to me. The geddy being maple was just a plus. Before I got the geddy I was GASing the new MIM 70s jazz fender just came out with because its black with a bound/block neck.
Last edited by Miss G at Aug 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 2