I chose to do the Van Halen thing, except I want to learn Santana's stuff instead of Clapton. What kind of scales, tricks, ect. does he use to produce his unique sound?
Firstly see the thing like he does, it's not a racetrack, it's a board of expression, then rip open your chest and let your heart do the talking trough your fingers on to the strings.

Your guitar is your mate, it's a curvy laden full of expression open for your entire mind, you just have to see it the good way, like Neo man, watch that matrix thing.

EDIT: Not to get reported, after that, get yourself a high gain amp with enough low-end & a mahogany set neck guitar & play with those knobs.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by Gäbe
Firstly see the thing like he does, it's not a racetrack, it's a board of expression, then rip open your chest and let your heart do the talking trough your fingers on to the strings.

Your guitar is your mate, it's a curvy laden full of expression open for your entire mind, you just have to see it the good way, like Neo man, watch that matrix thing.

EDIT: Not to get reported, after that, get yourself a high gain amp with enough low-end & a mahogany set neck guitar & play with those knobs.

TS: He uses a lot of quick legato licks in the minor pentatonic scale with a very clear tone. Most of his playing falls into minor pentatonic and Dorian. The best tip I can give you is to listen to as much Santana as possible, and analyze his work to adapt some of his style into your own.
Play and listen to as much of his material as possible, but for the sake of people who hear you play learn vibrato from someone else.
get your band to vamp Am - D7 round and round for 15 minutes, and noodle around in A dorian over the top of it...
^^ +1.

I get sick and can't listen to him because of his vibrato. it feels like motion sickness from what im hearing.
Quote by inflatablefilth
get your band to vamp Am - D7 round and round for 15 minutes, and noodle around in A dorian over the top of it...

This.