What are some good bands that play in D standard? I've been playing for a while now and i'm starting to get into some alternate tunings, and I really like the sounds I can get with a step down, but I really need stuff to play in it lol. Also what's the best string gauge for d standard? I'm using .10's, but they feel a little loose. would .11's do it? Or should I go with something even higher(though I don't wanna put too much strain on the neck)?
i think CoB plays in D standard on some stuff, and what scale lenght is your guitar i use 10's and i can tune down to D - Standard
^^^Follow the Reaper era CoB is in D Standard. Death is another band that plays in D that has some fun songs to learn, especially the tracks off of symbolic.

As for gauges, 11's should work fine. I have an LP with a 24.5" scale and a Kramer with a 25.5" scale both using .11's and both handle D standard fine.
Testament?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by T!AN
^^^Follow the Reaper era CoB is in D Standard. Death is another band that plays in D that has some fun songs to learn, especially the tracks off of symbolic.

As for gauges, 11's should work fine. I have an LP with a 24.5" scale and a Kramer with a 25.5" scale both using .11's and both handle D standard fine.

i believe my strings are also 11's and they handle all my drop tunings well (at least better than my 10's handled them). if you're going from 10's to 11's, it takes a day or so to transition.
but im saying that im playin a peavey raptor witha scale lenght of 24.5" and i use 10's and d standard isnt to low for them. they still seem snappy and responsive with no buzz
Quote by STPFan88
but im saying that im playin a peavey raptor witha scale lenght of 24.5" and i use 10's and d standard isnt to low for them. they still seem snappy and responsive with no buzz

I use 10's on my guitars and they handle D Standard just fine.
Quote by dustnbones316
I use 10's on my guitars and they handle D Standard just fine.

10's would likely handle D standard well, but 11's in D standard might handle it a little better.
Quote by supervillain
Go to this blog:

http://modrock666.blogspot.com/

On the right hand side there are two links to free guitar lessons, including one for Drop D.. I think it is the only comprehensive Drop D lesson I've ever seen, and has a lot of riff examples.

drop D is different that D standard.
Your right but i figured 11's might be a little to heavy for my current guitar thats why i went with 10's the tension is way different than the 9's that came on it when i bought i
My scale length is 25.5". and this was my first post on these forums but holy **** you guys respond fast lol.
Quote by The Picker
Mastodon uses D Standard in some songs.

most songs.

testament does too.
Most of Bullet for my Valentine's new stuff is in D Standard.

The Poison (1st album, sorta whiney): All Drop C

Scream Aim Fire ( New album, more metal/thrashy): D Standard with the exception of about 4 songs
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Last edited by YourDad at Aug 14, 2008,
Pantera

"I'm Broken" "5 Minutes alone"

Pretty much the whole "Far beyond driven" album was in D standard
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy
Pantera

revolution is my name.

corrosion of conformity, i forgot about them.
if youre not opposed to tuning it down a half step to C# standard all of Between The Buried And Mes songs are C#
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I would, but the problem is that I have a floating bridge guitar, so changing tunings takes forever. I do like all the stuff you can do with the whammy bar, and the fact it stays in tune forever though.
Quote by Nebjy
Pantera

don't forget "walk" by pantera!
Quote by shaggydogJV
if youre not opposed to tuning it down a half step to C# standard all of Between The Buried And Mes songs are C#

but the question was for D standard, not C# standard.
Quote by aznrockerdude

This post is officially crafted from finest win.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The link is win.

but in case noone looks at it.

I would like to mention

Necrophagist.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Death. thats all I'll say. because thats all I know about D standard, although they might have tuned lower before "Symbolic" if they did, can anyone tell me?
Death, Necrophagist, Insomnium, Wintersun (mostly)... Old Children of Bodom...
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by AvengedFoghat
Death. thats all I'll say. because thats all I know about D standard, although they might have tuned lower before "Symbolic" if they did, can anyone tell me?

well, by "they" i assume you mean Chuck.

And I'm fairly certain its all D
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
well, by "they" i assume you mean Chuck.

And I'm fairly certain its all D

yes I do mean Chuck, and thanks.