I decided after having owned my guitar for a bit over 2 months that I needed to get around to changing the stock strings (which according to the serial number are a few years old), so I ran to the store to get some regular slinkies and needless to say I completely failed at restringing. I was reading a howto and I must have messed up somewhere because my low E string just snapped right at the tuner. Like, clean off. I presume it was metal fatigue. Anyway, I figured out what probably went wrong (some confusion about how to wrap the strings around the tuners) so I'll go get another pack tomorrow. Should the neck be okay with the reduced tension or should I do some sort of adjustment?
GAS list-o-rama
Orange Tiny Terror Head ($549)
Epiphone VJ Cab ($129)
Seymour Duncan SHPG1/SH-11 set ($95 + $79)
Gaskell Classic (~$680)
Black Gibson SG Standard ($1499)
if u want u can just put something under the tailpiece for peace of mind
really it doesnt matter at all, if anything less tension on the neck is better
You can buy single strings...no sense buying another pack. It will just be a different brand most likely.
cheers betch
Like everyone else said, you'll be fine.

I usually don't do the 'wrapping' the manual says, I put it through the hole and tighten the string until it is taught enough. I then wrap around the string a bit, otherwise, I then tune the guitar and then cut a little bit of the string off (all the excess at the headstock).
Sorry to hijack this thread, but no point in making a new one:
I was tuning my backup guitar (An Ion iGA03, basically a strat knockoff, has anyone heard of it? Because according to google it doesn't exist) and the high E broke, how long can it stay like that for? (5 strings) Because I really don't feel like buying new strings anytime soon for a guitar that I barely ever play.
Quote by j.pagejr.
You can buy single strings...no sense buying another pack. It will just be a different brand most likely.

Hopefully my local shop carries single 46s.

As an aside, for like the minute that it was all fine and dandy, it was glorious. I never realized just how much those really old strings were bringing it down.
GAS list-o-rama
Orange Tiny Terror Head ($549)
Epiphone VJ Cab ($129)
Seymour Duncan SHPG1/SH-11 set ($95 + $79)
Gaskell Classic (~$680)
Black Gibson SG Standard ($1499)
Last edited by Axalon at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by Khit
Sorry to hijack this thread, but no point in making a new one:
I was tuning my backup guitar (An Ion iGA03, basically a strat knockoff, has anyone heard of it? Because according to google it doesn't exist) and the high E broke, how long can it stay like that for? (5 strings) Because I really don't feel like buying new strings anytime soon for a guitar that I barely ever play.

It'll be fine for a LONG time.