i'm having terrible issues with my guitars lately. i have a few but keep them away and i came across my bass.. my bass that one of my friends removed the neck of when i lent it to them thinking it would lower the action.. eer wrong, now i have strings that are seriously like 5 inches above the fretboard. it's pretty bad, now that the neck is back on i'm thinking i need to adjust the truss rod to get the strings to normal position right? which way do i turn the truss rod andddd is this even the right solution?

-- Shops get pricey!
Last edited by saturnine1 at Aug 14, 2008,
check your bridge first and lower the saddles, then adjust the truss rod to the right
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
This is the order in which you do things, there are 4 easy steps:

1) Tell your friend he's a fricking idiot and is never borrowing your stuff again
2) If he plays an instrument go round and remove something from each one in his position
3) Take you Bass to the shop for a set up
4) Make you "friend" pay for the set up.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

1) Tell your friend he's a fricking idiot and is never borrowing your stuff again
2) If he plays an instrument go round and remove something from each one in his position

agreed
Quote by ChemicalFire

I agree with 3 and 4. I don't think you should go damage someones elses gear, and scream at them.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
What I suspect here is that there used to be a spacer underneath the nose of neck that your 'friend' failed to notice when needlessly disassembling your guitar. This spacer, a small strip op wood veneer or maybe some other material, was not put back in place so now the neck angle is off, resulting in exactly the extremely high action you describe here.
If my theory is correct, the remedy is simple. Get the neck off and put a strip of veneer of the right gauche across the bottom of the neck pocket and put the neck back on again.

Reading your post makes me hestitate to point out the procedure in more detail though, for I very much doubt that you're up to the job. Instead I'd suggest you follow the above given advice. It will not be too expensive yet, but that may change as soon as you or your friend make any further attempts to 'repair' your guitar.

(Edit:
If I sound a little bit grumpy, it is entirely because for a moment I forgot that I too started my technical career that way. But then at least I ***ed up my own gear, not my friend's)
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Aug 14, 2008,