i just got a presonus firestudio project

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project?sku=241723

i got it up and running fine, but i seem to get a digital distortion upon playback. the distortion is not actually on the file, as i can quit and come back and the sound files will sound uncorrupted, but the longer it plays the more the signal becomes distorted. i looked on the owner's manual and it said the some clicking and popping may be caused by insufficient buffer or some kinda nonsense, so i increased the device buffer and it is still a problem. do i need more memory? i run a 2008 mac book, it has 2 gigs of memory and a 2.4 gigahertz pentium duocore so i beleive the computer should have plenty of power.

any help would be appreciated
Be sure you are using software which is compatible with the interface and that you have the latest drivers from the PreSonus site. The computer is more than adequate to work with this hardware.

What software are you running?
i am running Cubase LE for interface, and there is a 'fire control' control panel for the actual drivers to interface. Fire control comes up as a 10 channel mixer and it doesn't ever seem to have a problem. Cubase LE is not the only interface sotware i use either, mac's come with garage band, it also gives me static. I happened to pick up versions of audacity and ardour just to see if some of the free recording interfaces were worth it and they also give me the digital distortion.

but that is a good call on checking for software updates, i will go to their site and try and see if there is an updated driver patch or something.
i ran an update on my software from the presonus site, i still get a digital distortion. this distortion gets worse the longer the interface is connected, but doesn't actually effect the recording, i can play it directly from the computer and it sounds fine. it seems as though the external presonus fireproject studio is getting out of sync with the macbook or something, as if the clocks are going outta sync.

i have a feeling this is something simple and i am probably not the only person to have a problem like this, or at least that is what i hope. any help would be much appreciated
Quote by gumbilicious
i ran an update on my software from the presonus site, i still get a digital distortion. this distortion gets worse the longer the interface is connected, but doesn't actually effect the recording, i can play it directly from the computer and it sounds fine. it seems as though the external presonus fireproject studio is getting out of sync with the macbook or something, as if the clocks are going outta sync.

i have a feeling this is something simple and i am probably not the only person to have a problem like this, or at least that is what i hope. any help would be much appreciated

If its anything like the firepod, try adjusting your "ms" in the control panel of the firestudio.....i do 8ms or so,you might have to go higher to smooth it out. Also make sure in your recording app under options you have your device set to use ASIO drivers and not the crappy OS one.I noticed too it helps to disable the internal/crappy soundcard that was originally shipped with your PC. Oh and by the way...disable your wireless connection if any, because that'll screw with it too.
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Aug 25, 2008,
just to finish off this thread in case anybody comes here looking for answers(already had a couple messages), i never totally figured out the problem, i just solved it by using my firebox instead of my firestudio for track recording. i hypothesize that an 800 mbps(megabytes per second) firewire port would solve the problem, i think the firestudio project probably just needs more bus than the 400 mbps firewire port on my macbook can provide. anybody with a macbook pro(or any other computer with a 800mbps firewire port) use the firestudio project? do you have digital distortion problems?
Well that is a solution, but not as ideal as fixing the problem. Have you emailed PreSonus to ask them about the problem? No one on this board ever seems to think about contacting the manufacturer (sorry if you already did).
There is poetry in despair.
There's no reason using a faster than needed Firewire port was going to fix the problem. It's meant to work on a 400 speed port, and won't use any of the extra bandwidth from a 800 one. Check with the manufacturer as fridge said...maybe you got a dud by accident.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
nice to know about the firewire , but i have checked with the manufacturer and nothing said helped, but then again i never told them it didn't work, i just went right back to using my firebox for track recording. i am also not to sure i got a dud, basically the only problem i am having is with playback through the device, if i unhook it and listen to everything i did through my mac it sounds fine. then again i could have bad output or something, but that doesn't account for it sounding fine at first and then progressively getting worse and the distortion i am getting doesn't sound like a bad output, it sounds(the sound coming from the device, not the diagnosis of the problem) like some kinda digital problem.

i just posted because i wanted anyone else having this problem who stumbles upon this to get some idea of how the problem resolved, i didn't expect feedback. i would like to thank you both dropping a little knowledge on me. @fast fingers: how do you know it is built for a 400 mbps firewire port, i looked in the specs on the device(not thoroughly) and couldn't find an optimal bus speed for the firestudio, and what the hell would you use an 800 mbps firewire connection with if not for recording?
Quote by gumbilicious
nice to know about the firewire , but i have checked with the manufacturer and nothing said helped, but then again i never told them it didn't work, i just went right back to using my firebox for track recording. i am also not to sure i got a dud, basically the only problem i am having is with playback through the device, if i unhook it and listen to everything i did through my mac it sounds fine.

I'm saying the Firestudio may have a problem, not the Mac. You're right about the progression...perhaps you need to increase latency by increasing the sample buffer used by the software.

Quote by gumbilicious

i just posted because i wanted anyone else having this problem who stumbles upon this to get some idea of how the problem resolved, i didn't expect feedback. i would like to thank you both dropping a little knowledge on me. @fast fingers: how do you know it is built for a 400 mbps firewire port, i looked in the specs on the device(not thoroughly) and couldn't find an optimal bus speed for the firestudio, and what the hell would you use an 800 mbps firewire connection with if not for recording?

The shape of the input is very different. 800 is a small rectangle with an indent, 400 is an oval with a sqaured bottom. That's how I could tell.
From Wikipedia:
However, while the IEEE 1394a and IEEE 1394b standards are compatible, FireWire 800's connector, referred to as a beta connector, is different from FireWire 400's alpha connectors, making legacy cables incompatible. A bilingual cable allows the connection of older devices to the newer port.

And Firewire 800 may be used with external hard drives. To be honest, it's not really a popular connection option, with eSATA and USB 3.0 probably going to be ubiquitous (look, the latest Macbooks no longer have Firewire). Even serious business converters and interfaces use 400.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101