hi!

so i'm learning the CAGED system using the Jamorama lead package and I have some questions.

Firstly, what is the point of all this? I'm learning 5 different ways of playing in the key of C using different positions. I guess it's so we could play in C where ever we choose? Like if we're near fret 1 then we'd want to apply the C shape, if we were near fret 3, we'd use the A shape, etc.

Second, how should I study these shapes? Should I put to memory the the notes or just the numbers? For instance, I know where the root note for each shape is and now I want to play a third from this, or a 5th. Is there an advantage to knowing this or will I just "know" where I want to play to complete an idea?

Third, I'm learning everything in the key of C. Suppose I move the shape to a position where the root is now D. Will the same shape produce the D scale?

thanks!
now is the only thing that's real
Alright, this is what people seem to have the most trouble with from what I've seen. If you're in the key of C Major, you would play the standard Major scale shape starting at the 8th fret on the E string, which is a C. I also like to refer to these positions by their modal name. The first being the Ionian, or Major, which starts at the root note (The first note of a scale. In this case is a C) The second position is the Dorian mode, 3rd is the Phrygian mode, 4th is the Lydian mode , 5th is Mixolydian mode, 6th is Aeolian mode (notice this is the same shape as a natural minor scale) , 7th is Locrian mode, then it goes back to the root or octave(8th).

It is very important to memorize these positions so that when you are improvising, you can use the entire neck in a specific key without thinking. Then you can start mixing scales and keys and modes and so on. Don't worry about what modes are right now, they will only confuse you further. The best advice I can give you is to find some maps of different keys on a fretboard. They will map out all the notes in every octave of any key over the entire fretboard. Study that and you will notice the different positions throughout it and how they connect with each other to make a continuous stream of notes that map out a key.

Sorry if I've confused you any. Hope this helps, its a lot easier to explain this in person. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
thanks for the reply. So basically it's most important for me to memorize the shape of the scales rather than where the notes fall in each scale? I guess that with practice I'll know where to play.

Any ideas on my other two questions (the 1st and 2nd)?
now is the only thing that's real
The point of it is that it is an easier way to memorize keys. That's really it.

The best way to study them is to practice playing the different shapes and practice connecting them.

And, yes if you shift all the shapes to a different note, that note will now be the root note of that key, and all of the shapes will still be "in key" when you shift them.
Ok so i've never really learnt the CAGED system, but i understand it in principal.

but i think it makes learning chord shapes and scales more complex.
Good knowledge of guitar and scales i found, come from studying note maps, and being able to recognise which note sounds best when improvising. I think that Ear training is the best idea.

well it was for me at least.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas