I was wondering if I could tune a 7-string at AEADGBE and use a capo to easily emulate drop D, C, and B... would that work at all? Seems like such a great solution, but there's got to be a hitch... and tuning that low would mean what guage?
thats pretty much the only tuning i use on my 7 string, and i usually play without a capo, in drop A, so you shouldn't have any problems
Wait... Why should there be a hitch? And why would you buy a 7 STring to play in Drop D? I play it in drop A.
It's possible.
The possible "hitches" you might encounter are open strings not sounding as well under the capo as they do on their own, or a capo that can fit well on a 7-string neck.
Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding gauge, you may want a .60 or higher for the low B.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I see... what guage strings should I get?

Just wondering about the hitch. And about Drop D... say I wanted to play a track from a favorite band, and it was drop D. Just put on the capo and play the tab exactly as is instead of transcribing a new version to fit your 7-string.

I'm also wondering how hard it would be to set up a tremolo system for that tuning situation.

EDIT: Didn't see last post. About the capo... I did a quick search and people recommended any 12-string capo, namely the Kyser. And of these strings, which brand would you recommend?
Last edited by G.9 at Aug 14, 2008,
If you play with a capo it doesn't posess the same "crunch"

you could but it's just the tone would not be the same as if you actually had a guitar in drop D without a capo.
I don't even shred
I don't use a capo regularly, so I am not the best person to ask about what capo is best, but I would imagine that a 12-string wouldn't do very well, as it is still suited for a regularly sized guitar neck, while a 7-string is significantly wider.

I would think that any good capo would do, as long as it fits the neck. Go out to a music store and just try out some capos.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
how bad and noticeable is this crunch descrepancy? Can you post a sample?

About the capos... I see. I'll just have to experiment.
For Drop D, couldn't you just tune down the low E?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
other than the fact that it's just easier to have it ok the lower string, let's say so wanted to play drop c or b.
Well for the first six strings you could use a 9-42 set or 10-46 depending on what you prefer, and for the low A, I would suggest a minimum of 56.
A capo is essentially a movable nut; when you move it up the fretboard all of your harmonics and such shfit with it as if you were fretting wherever the capo is. This also makes the open sound different, as if the strings themselves were physically shorter (which is essentially what you're doing with the capo) and the instrument itself was smaller. As well, as previously mentioned, intonation must be damn well perfect to be in tune while playing with a capo, particularly on the higher frets. You will also be limited by the range of your tuning, not by the location of the capo.
But most importantly, when you use a capo what you're getting is not drop D/C/B whatever. If you're tuned to AEADGBE and you use a capo on fret 5 to attempt to play in drop D, instead of your inteaded tuning of DADGBEA, due to the fact that the difference between G and B is a major third and not a fourth, what you would actually get is DADGCEA. For this to work you would have to have your open tuning be AEADF#BE so that it is capo'd to DADGBEA instead, meaning you would have to detune anyway, making the entire process kind fo wasted.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Me2NiK
A capo is essentially a movable nut; when you move it up the fretboard all of your harmonics and such shfit with it as if you were fretting wherever the capo is. This also makes the open sound different, as if the strings themselves were physically shorter (which is essentially what you're doing with the capo) and the instrument itself was smaller. As well, as previously mentioned, intonation must be damn well perfect to be in tune while playing with a capo, particularly on the higher frets. You will also be limited by the range of your tuning, not by the location of the capo.
But most importantly, when you use a capo what you're getting is not drop D/C/B whatever. If you're tuned to AEADGBE and you use a capo on fret 5 to attempt to play in drop D, instead of your inteaded tuning of DADGBEA, due to the fact that the difference between G and B is a major third and not a fourth, what you would actually get is DADGCEA. For this to work you would have to have your open tuning be AEADF#BE so that it is capo'd to DADGBEA instead, meaning you would have to detune anyway, making the entire process kind fo wasted.

I think that just did the idea in.
just play in EBGDADA.... essentially drop D with a lower A for more brutalness.... i just play in F#C#AEBF#B... its what i said above, but tuned up a step so it doesnt get muddy or two stupid sounding.

It gives you the standard strings for sweeps and scales and then the low dropped B for brutal heavy riffs.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I don't mean to sound stupid or anything but...you already own a 6 string right? Why not keep that in your drop tuning of choice and just keep the 7 in standard?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There is no reason why you cant do what Zaphod suggested, or just put the 7 in drop D, if you a half decent picker then avoiding the low string should be a breeze...depending on your accuracy.