Hey everyone, I'm teaching a friend to play and I'm trying to think of some easy songs for him to strum along to. He has no experience at all, so I want him to get down common chords. If you can think of any songs with only open major and minor chords that would be best. He doesn't have a capo. Also, the more well known song, the better. I figure it will be easier if he knows the song already. Thanks.
Knockin on Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Live Forever - Oasis
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young
space oddity, i guess that has some inversions and MA7 chords, but all in all, pretty easy.
Awesome suggestions. Thanks a lot guys. Can anyone think of any modern popular songs? Much appreciated.

Also, I'm adding Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd for anyone who stumbles across this thread and finds it helpful.
Um, I've practiced Empty Apartment by Yellowcard for a couple hours yesterday and I can play it (except the little solo in it), only has one barre chord
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
summertime blues by the who.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
myabe rivers of babylon - sublime?
it has a couple notes, but thats what makes it fun!

that or jesus .. sunbeam - nirvana (unplugged)

note: i forgot the ... like wants me for a sunbeam, or walks or something
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
everyone, this is way more responses than i expected. thanks so much. but let's keep them up, i tried pretty hard to find a "first songs" thread but couldn't find one. i'm surprised there isn't one out there. i actually expected to find a stickied one somewhere, seems like something a lot of people would look for.
Anything by John Prine

Angel from Montgomery
Speed at the Sound of Loneliness

Mother by Pink Floyd is super easy

Honky Tonk Woman by the Stones
you could also try Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's. There's no strumming, but you learn some new chord shapes.

And I have really got to recommend getting a capo, too. There are just so many more songs that you can play with one. If you do go buy one, try learning Wonderwall by Oasis. It's one of the easiest songs that I know. That, and Slide by Goo Goo Dolls.
Quote by pr4ctic4l
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

Just G, C, G, D7 over and over.

Weird I've always played this with E A and B7 :S
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
Quote by drmichael
you could also try Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's. There's no strumming, but you learn some new chord shapes.

And I have really got to recommend getting a capo, too. There are just so many more songs that you can play with one. If you do go buy one, try learning Wonderwall by Oasis. It's one of the easiest songs that I know. That, and Slide by Goo Goo Dolls.

yeah, finding songs with basic chords is easy, but so many use a capo. but my friend is just starting and doesnt want to spend the money. thats the idea here. his stingy ass will have to break down eventually though for sure
It's an older song, but Yellow Submarine by The Beatles is an easy song to play. Easy strum patterns, and all open chords.