Page 1 of 2
Yep I'm pretty sure i do

It's too damn loud, rarely am i home alone to crank it and even when its cranked it doesn't sound that great, It's just not my style. It's too fizzy, I've played around with the EQ for months now and theres still fizz, you can't get rid of all of it. The lead tones and clean tones leave a lot to be desired as well and I'm needing them more and more.
Also, it's just too big to justify keeping, i already have a cab.

Yes, it has new tubes in it: JJ's.
No i don't want to spend money on an attenuator/OD/EQ for it, I'm pretty set on selling it as i want something more versatile and smaller.
I figure I'll have about 600 to spend after selling the 5150.
I don't want to spend a whole lot more than the money i get from selling it. I already have to pay for half of whatever new guitar i get and i can't justify having a really expensive amp right now.

So i have a few options:

Krank Rev Jr. Pro: A lot smaller, better cleans(but less headroom), on the clips the distortion sounds pretty good. But on others it's not that great.

Used Laney GH50L/100L: Awesome high gain rythym and lead tones (used by Mikael Akerfeldt). The cleans also sound quite nice. But it will still be fairly loud and it only has one channel really. Also I've heard it can get quite noisy.

Used Line6 Vetta or HD147: This idea is just growing on me more and more as possibly the best decision. They're SS so no need to crank, but they still have plenty of headroom. They have a wide variety of amp models and effects which actually sound very good (these amps are not your little brother's Spider III). Plus they have XLR outs which make recording quite easy. I feel with these i can really create some more diverse songs and just make more complex sounding songs. Plus they would make playing a lot more fun i think. I'd probably more likely go with the HD147 as it is cheaper and has mainly high gain tones but still some vintage amp models that can play with. I feel with the Vetta i wouldn't use half the effects. I really like Meshuggahs style and sound and they use Vetta II's so if there really is much of a difference tone-wise, I'll spend a little extra on the Vetta. Also both amps model the Diezel Herbert, if they get remotely close it will sound amazing.

Some more need to know stuff:
1. I don't gig and won't for a while probably, mainly me and two other friends have a little project going where we are working on getting some songs recorded
2. I'm looking for a good tight death metal tone with a little djent (think meshuggah tone) flavor.
3.I'll be using my Genz Benz G-Flex cab to play the head through.

Sorry for extremely long post
But I'm not even motivated to play anymore and i need something different
Any other suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Last edited by xMikeyxMetalx at Aug 14, 2008,
I could of told you that the 5150 combo would be to loud. I don't understand how you can't get a descent tone out of one, but to each his own I suppose.

As far as another amp, I've heard some cool things about the Krank. Possibly check other forums and see if somebody could post there own clips of one for you, I find personal clips to be closer to what it is rather then checking clips on other sites.

Also, another cool small amp would be the old Randalls. I beleive it's the RG20ES with the little matching cab. Those things are cool as hell, but I don't see them around to often.

Hope whatever you wined up with next satisfies you.
how much do you want for it?!
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
what settings are you using on the 5150?... If you have the amp below 4 on the post volume you will get crap, beyond that all noise is gone and it will smoke.those amps are made to run at 6-7 !so an atteunator will be necessary.

one of my amps is an original 5150 combo that I run on an attenuator and it rocks at a very tolerable level.

I can help you with the settings, if you want.

also there is no clean channel on a 5150, look at the control panel ...where does it say clean channel? you have a pre and post gain rythem channel, and a pre and post gain lead channel.
I've been on here 30 minutes and that the 3rd complaint I read about the 5150 amp's "clean" channel. (2 from people that obviously don't even own one)

also the term "fizzy" is right up there with "creamy" and "fast neck".. heavily overused and abused buzzwords.

I have a feeling I won't last long on here. but mabey I can help with those settings.

as far as a bedroom amp ..even a 5w will be loud. a solid state modeling amp may be more suitable. I'm sure you will find something better for your situation
Last edited by stymye at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by riffer_raffer
how much do you want for it?!

$600+shipping, fresh tubes, amazing condition, everything works.
e-mail me at mikefetting@rocketmail.com and we can possibly work on something if you're patient.

I really need to find something else to get first.

I'll look into those Randalls though, thank you.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by stymye
what settings are you using on the 5150?... If you have the amp below 4 on the post volume you will get crap, beyond that all noise is gone and it will smoke.those amps are made to run at 6-7 !

I can help you with the settings, if you want.

also there is no clean channel on a 5150, look at the control panel ...where does it say clean channel? you have a pre and post gain rythem channel, and a pre and post gain lead channel.
I've been on here 30 minutes and that the 3rd complaint I read about the 5150 amp's "clean" channel. (2 from people that obviously don't even own one)

also the term "fizzy" is right up there with "creamy" and "fast neck".. heavily overused and abused buzzwords.

I have a feeling I won't last long on here. but mabey I can help with those settings

I never said clean channel
I said clean tones, which are lacking because of the lack of a dedicated clean channel (which i would like).

I've tried settings all over the place really and theres no way to play the amp on 4, that's much too loud.
I just don't really like the base tone of it really, it lacks clarity, especially on leads.
I prefer the leads on my Spider II more than my 5150 because its just a mess of buzzing and hisses. I some of it could be taken away with a good noise gate. But i just don't like the base tone.

and please don't suggest modding it anyone, I'm going to be selling it eventually barring a miracle and i don't have an extra $300-$500 to spend on mods.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
off topic: for a guitar id recomend a prs se custom for any application unless your a strat guy....im assuming your not if you have a schecter....and then what i would do is change the pickups to suit your style....im personally sold on the prs feel...to me better than any NEW gibson...rarely i find a vintage gibson at a resonable price that i think is even worth picking up....i just like the prs se line that much

For an amp...hmm looking for a dark or a bright sound....my favorite amp right now is the vox ac30...but ive heard people using the vox ac50 for hard rock...idk how far you want to go with gain...but i would deffinatly try that one out...people swear that it has the original ac30 sound but with more gain if need be
Quote by deadagain6591
off topic: for a guitar id recomend a prs se custom for any application unless your a strat guy....im assuming your not if you have a schecter....and then what i would do is change the pickups to suit your style....im personally sold on the prs feel...to me better than any NEW gibson...rarely i find a vintage gibson at a resonable price that i think is even worth picking up....i just like the prs se line that much

For an amp...hmm looking for a dark or a bright sound....my favorite amp right now is the vox ac30...but ive heard people using the vox ac50 for hard rock...idk how far you want to go with gain...but i would deffinatly try that one out...people swear that it has the original ac30 sound but with more gain if need be

well i kind of already have a few guitars picked out and I'm talking to the sellers
It'll either be a C-7 hellraiser or an ibanez RG1570 depending on if i decide to go 6 or 7 strings. But i will have a look at the PRS's as they've always seemed like quality guitars.

I don't think an ac30 or 50 is really going to suit me though. I play with a pretty good amount of gain and it's not suited for my style.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
the vox ac30 is an awesome amp and you can get very clean out of it, and a beautifull overdrive.

your still going to have the same volume issue tho.
I have a 10w vox and to get it to sound good it's still too loud for the playing in the house.!very loud
I dont know why people buy them in the first place, the combos honestly dont sond half as good as the head. I returned mine within the week I bought it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I dont know why people buy them in the first place, the combos honestly dont sond half as good as the head. I returned mine within the week I bought it.

Yeah the head versions sound much better, but i didn't have the cab when i got the combo. In the future i do want to get the head version and get the **** modded out of it.

Quote by stymye
the vox ac30 is an awesome amp and you can get very clean out of it, and a beautifull overdrive.

your still going to have the same volume issue tho.
I have a 10w vox and to get it to sound good it's still too loud for the playing in the house.!very loud

But i need to play death metal, the Vox surely won't cut it. But the Vetta and HD147 do model the AC30.
I'm really leaning towards the HD147/Vetta route. I mean they might not nail the tone of the amps they model, but they get close. I think this will be good for me to learn what kind of qualities i want in an amp and what effects i want. So when i do decide to splurge, I'll know what i want. Plus, it will save me money and make recording a lot easier.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
For what you're wanting, I think the Vetta is a SUPERB idea (I've never PERSONALLY used one, but I hear they are superb in terms of versatility.). I also owned a 5150, and although the loudness wasn't really a problem, I just could not get the tone I wanted out of it. Right now I'm using a Micro-Cube for home practice and intend to buy a Mesa Roadking v.2 in the very near future for gigging purposes.
I think the Vetta would suit you fine. The Krank Jr. has a great tone, but it still needs to be cranked to hit that sweet spot. I use a distortion pedal on mine to get a good tone at low volume. In another couple of years I would like to get a Vetta amp myself.
Ok glad to hear I'm not crazy

I love tube amps, but right now i just don't think it's going to work for me.
I will own an Engl Invader some day though.

Now if anyone could tell me if they're are any differences in tones between the HD147 and the Vetta? I'm kind of leaning towards saving a little extra for the Vetta because of the two amps at once feature. The thought of running a Diezel Herbert and Bogner Uberschall (yeah they're amp models, but they're actually good amp models) at the same time makes my penis happy.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
So anyone know any differences between the HD147 and Vetta II(tone-wise, not feature-wise)?
I don't think i would really want to spend the extra cash on the Vetta if it just had one or two features that i would use and a bunch that i wouldn't touch. But if the Vetta's tone is just all around better, i think it would be reasonable to spend more on it.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
I'm just going to bump this instead of making another thread.

I've been doing my research and the HD147 still seems pretty good, but not great.
I don't know for sure if i'd like it more than my 5150 or not.
I'm getting decent tones out of the 5150, but it's just not my style i guess.

But another choice has came up:
A Mesa Single Rectifier

Since my style is mainly more of a melodic, tech death style (mainly melodic), i feel like i'd still benefit from the cut and warmth of tubes. Also, the HD147 doesn't have that great of a lead tone, i'd I've coaxed a decent one out of 5 minutes of tweaking it.
The problem is tightening up a rythym tone and volume. Now I'm sure i could drive it a little harder cranking the master and keeping the channel volume low which will get rid of some fizz. I figure an OD an EQ will tighten things up as well.

This might end up costing me more, but if the tone is better, I'm willing to spend more.
So should the Single Rec be my next amp?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Yeah, and to think i started off with looking for a krank rev jr and now I'm intersted in the MArk IV lol.
That's GAS for you
well i have a job, and it's not like my 5150 is making me not want to play(it isn't exactly motivating me more either)
But may i ask why you suggest the Mark IV over the Single Rec?

I do like the Mesa tone though, i find once its tightened up a bit, it is great for metal.
They're quite versatile too.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
bumpp, I'm still not sure.
Every local store carries Mesa around here, so i can try out the single rec. I already have and it was meh.
But i didn't get to do too much tweaking, or get to crank it or put a boost in front of it. I'm planning to go back and do that.
I think i want to go tube still now though, theres just something about it that the Vetta and HD147 don't have.

I'm putting a max at 800-900, no more. My parents won't let me spend much more money on an amp. Not to mention i still need an OD (TS7 Chaos modded-$85), an EQ (MXR 10 band-$120) and a noise gate (Decimator FTW-$124).

So I'm thinking im going to order the Krank from Musicians Friend and try it out. If i don't like it, I'll send it back. Then i guess I'll have to save up for a Single Rec.
Good plan?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
bumpp, I'm still not sure.
Every local store carries Mesa around here, so i can try out the single rec. I already have and it was meh.
But i didn't get to do too much tweaking, or get to crank it or put a boost in front of it. I'm planning to go back and do that.
I think i want to go tube still now though, theres just something about it that the Vetta and HD147 don't have.

I'm putting a max at 800-900, no more. My parents won't let me spend much more money on an amp. Not to mention i still need an OD (TS7 Chaos modded-$85), an EQ (MXR 10 band-$120) and a noise gate (Decimator FTW-$124).

So I'm thinking im going to order the Krank from Musicians Friend and try it out. If i don't like it, I'll send it back. Then i guess I'll have to save up for a Single Rec.
Good plan?

Yeah.. Like tone?

Anyway. I don't think that is a good idea at all.

For you, a Bugera 333XL head.

It's like a Mesa, only better tone, and 3 channels.

Don't order a Krank. They sound like ****e
Quote by TheArcadeFire
Yeah.. Like tone?

Anyway. I don't think that is a good idea at all.

For you, a Bugera 333XL head.

It's like a Mesa, only better tone, and 3 channels.

Don't order a Krank. They sound like ****e

Fail on every point.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
i recommed a peavey ultra or one of the newer ones instead. they are very quite amps for 60 watts and sound very nice at low levels also they are super clear and dont have that fizzy tone of the 5150
No, because I agree with his plan.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
No, because I agree with his plan.

So you think a Rev. Junior sounds better than a Bugera? Wow....
Yes.

You think a Bugera sounds better than a Rev. Junior and a Mesa? Wow...

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Yes.

You think a Bugera sounds better than a Rev. Junior and a Mesa? Wow...

I don't like Mesa Rectifiers.. I think the Bugera sounds good for metal. It's supposed to be a Mesa copy, but I just think it sounds better by far.

I've always thought Kranks to be way to trebly and harsh with the distortion.

Sorry if I offended you sir..
You didn't offend me. You were just being hypocritical.

You say it's opinion, then act like I'm retarded and wrong because I think Bugera's don't sound as good.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I don't like Mesa Rectifiers.. I think the Bugera sounds good for metal. It's supposed to be a Mesa copy, but I just think it sounds better by far.

everyone who says that about a krank hasn't spent more than 2 seconds EQ'ing it. you have to be patient
You told me I failed on every point.. I was just wondering how you could think that a Krank amp sounds better than a Bugera. I wasn't acting like you were retarded.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
You told me I failed on every point.. I was just wondering how you could think that a Krank amp sounds better than a Bugera. I wasn't acting like you were retarded.

Quote by TheArcadeFire
So you think a Rev. Junior sounds better than a Bugera? Wow....

I'm pretty sure you were.

And I did think you failed on every point.

Vettas are awesome

Bugera's aren't as good as the Mesa IMO

Rev Juniors aren't shit IMO.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by TheArcadeFire
It's supposed to be a JSX copy

Fix'd.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Fix'd.

That's what I originally thought.... But someone had told me it was a Mesa copy...

Anyway... sorry for any feathers I may have ruffled...

I just think he would do best with something other than a Rev JR.
Quote by TheArcadeFire

We'll you're wrong too, Bugeras are Peavey copies.

And this vid disagrees with you on the tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuM6-rPXQgE.

Those little things are 20W of bad ass.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
You might wanna look at a used Peavey JSX; dedicated clean channel, great lead tone (great enough for Satch) and enough gain on tap for Norwegian pagan br00t4l black metal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by rwalby9
We'll you're wrong too, Bugeras are Peavey copies.

And this vid disagrees with you on the tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuM6-rPXQgE.

Those little things are 20W of bad ass.

If you had read my last post....

And I'm not a metal head.. So I dunno really. I think it sounds too distorted. I like heavy playing to have less distortion.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
If you had read my last post....

And I'm not a metal head.. So I dunno really. I think it sounds too distorted. I like heavy playing to have less distortion.
Well the TS asked for a good death metal tone, not "heavy but less distorted".
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Vetta u just can regret it. The models are extremly similar. Easy to Setup. Ss. Extremly reliable. Probably your last amp.

Con: You need a 300$ fbv :P
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
...back to the topic...if the TS hasn't ran away yet...
For just some simple demo recording and not gigging, a decent SS amp modeler is the way to go. You can very quickly set up some good tones and concentrate on the songs and the recording. Experimenting with track layers using different cabs and amps is fun and painless. You can get a quite convincing and powerful tone just using digital stuff. Heck, most of the stuff you hear on pro recordings anymore are digital amps. Ya'll would be VERY surprised.
Quote by BeerChurch
...back to the topic...if the TS hasn't ran away yet...
For just some simple demo recording and not gigging, a decent SS amp modeler is the way to go. You can very quickly set up some good tones and concentrate on the songs and the recording. Experimenting with track layers using different cabs and amps is fun and painless. You can get a quite convincing and powerful tone just using digital stuff. Heck, most of the stuff you hear on pro recordings anymore are digital amps. Ya'll would be VERY surprised.

I haven't ran away
I've just been out for a while.
Anyways, I have heard the JSX is pretty good at low volumes and it can do death metal.
But i feel the Krank might be more convenient.
But at the same time what I really want is an awesome smooth lead channel. I felt from what I've seen, the SS's have an awesome rythym tone, but the leads sound lifeless.
I have find somewhere that has a Vetta and see if i can get a good lead sound myself.
Anyone here that can vouch for the Vetta's lead tone?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Page 1 of 2