Page 1 of 2
Hasn't he been playing some other brand since before their(Red Hot Chili Peppers)newest CD came?
ive seen him playing fender j-bass's - im not a bassist though and don't know that well

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Yea he started playing a jazz bass given to him by a friend I believe.
Still doesn't mean they should take him off the artist page, and rename the bass...

edit: That is a damn sexy bass though.
Quote by watchingmefall
The Pink Fender Jazz Bass has been around since Californication, you can even see it in the video for the song. So using it is nothing new.

Pretty sure the Jazz he's using now is a different one.
^ he switches between his jazz and his flea basses constantly.

it should be noted he never really played the flea basses they churned out post-2000, 2001ish... he only used the first few they sent him with Lane Poors on it.
as to what the Modulus deal is, I knew his contract ran out and that's why he immediately switched to the J for a large while... but then he switched back to his old Flea basses and I thought they renewed the contract, but I guess after testing the waters he still prefers his old basses... and Modulus simply doesn't want to pay him to not use the new basses they make.

Atleast, that's what I make of it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by identityxcrysis
Pretty sure the Jazz he's using now is a different one.

No, Its the same 61 shell pink jazz.
Quote by Miss G
No, Its the same 61 shell pink jazz.

The one with a sticker on it...

Anyway, Dan has a good point, but I read somewhere that the reason he went to Modulus in the first place is because Ernie Ball wouldn't name an instrument after him. He then went to a company that would. Maybe he's having another drama queen moment?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

Anyway, Dan has a good point, but I read somewhere that the reason he went to Modulus in the first place is because Ernie Ball wouldn't name an instrument after him. He then went to a company that would. Maybe he's having another drama queen moment?

You are right. He also asked for a cut in the money made on all stingrays. His excuse was that Chan Smith was recieving $100,000 on a signature snare deal.
Quote by watchingmefall
You are right. He also asked for a cut in the money made on all stingrays. His excuse was that Chan Smith was recieving $100,000 on a signature snare deal.

ok, thats just daft, the stingrays been around for ages, longer than rhcp i think. imo its like going to fender & saying "i use a start, gimme money from all the strats, even ones that arent my sig model"
I prefer the sound of his Stinger or the Jazz though. The Modulus apparently has more 'attack' but it seems like a Stinger without the growl or the jazz without the buzz.

And I also hated the orangey yellowy sunburst colour.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by thefitz

Wrong Fitzy, he switched to Modulus because he wanted a bass with a graphite neck, Ernie Ball wouldn't make him one, so he went to Modulus and had them essentially make a stingray with a graphite neck, and a badass II.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Wrong Fitzy, he switched to Modulus because he wanted a bass with a graphite neck, Ernie Ball wouldn't make him one, so he went to Modulus and had them essentially make a stingray with a graphite neck, and a badass II.

Read up on the MusicMan Cutlass. It had a graphite neck. And that was 1980 I believe.

EDIT: http://www.bassplayer.com/article/retro-rama-1980/Dec-07/32795

So, like Stingrays, they were around before RHCP. Now, I dare you to tell me that they were a small time band before 1980 in an attempt to prove me wrong again.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 14, 2008,
dude thats so not cool of modulus, it was fleas custom, it doesnt matter he doesnt use it anymore, he still used it! thats lame
Try adding more delay.
Quote by thefitz
Read up on the MusicMan Cutlass. It had a graphite neck. And that was 1980 I believe.

EDIT: http://www.bassplayer.com/article/retro-rama-1980/Dec-07/32795

So, like Stingrays, they were around before RHCP. Now, I dare you to tell me that they were a small time band before 1980 in an attempt to prove me wrong again.

I know he did play a cutlass and recorded Uplift Mofo with one I think, but I know when he went to the flea bass he wanted something with a graphite neck, or maybe wanted a sig bass from ernie ball and they wouldn't do it, I dunno, but graphite was definitely a reason why he made the switch.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Ok so apparently this is common. I though Spector was a little weird for renaming Rexs sig Rox, but apparently its the thing to do now.

I wonder what Fender would name some of their sig basses if it came down to it...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
*taken from the ernie ball forums*

"Flea was using the basses and really didnt have any direct connection with us. I invited him to slo to play in a The Mike Krukow Charity Golf Tournament ( former Cal Poly Alumni and Major League pitcher now broadcaster for the San Francisco Giants...has an orange axis) and he accepted. He showed up late barefoot and without a shirt golf clubs or balls. we got on pretty good. From there we supplied him with alot of basses and I hated ihis bass smashing phase. He left over money. He wanted a Flea signature Stingray and I said that wouldnt be right by Leo, Tony, Louis and all of the other stingray players. He said that his drummer was going to make a 100k from snare drum royalties and he wanted to make a cut on stingrays. I thought I had him calmed down but then I got wind of the Modulous deal and the last conversation was his atorney trying to tell me what I had to do and I said the only thing I really get to do is hang up on you....last contact. I wish that Flea and us could have split under better circumstances. I was right though

The funny story about Flea is that I asked him to do an ad for Slinky Bass strings that had just come out. he had the strings claimed to like them and I had a wacky shot of him and it said "Flea's Gone Slinky" The ad came out and Flea said GHS called and was bummed and he didnt know he was doing a string ad....."
Quote by slaptasticdave
I know he did play a cutlass and recorded Uplift Mofo with one I think, but I know when he went to the flea bass he wanted something with a graphite neck, or maybe wanted a sig bass from ernie ball and they wouldn't do it, I dunno, but graphite was definitely a reason why he made the switch.

the fitz powned you

happens to everyone on this forum now and then...
never challenge the fitz
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Its The Same Case With John Myung Form Dream Theater He Used A Signature Rbx Yamaha Model Now He Changed To Ernie Ball And The Yamaha Jm2 Its Now Discontinued
I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this. It's a story about a business contract, not about music.
Maybe modulus is pissed about it...I look at that website and all i see are tons of F U's jumping out at me...

Anyway,I played one of those once. Hella nice bass. Does anyone know if the bass flea used to play w/all the stickers on it was a modulus?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
pink J bass?

i always ascociate him with the white jazz with the tort guard

he's been playing the burst one with no guard, just a control plate (jazz 24 or something?) on the vids for tell me baby, snow, and when i saw them live last year
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
His pink jazz is actually white that's aged to a shell pink color.

And yeah, he left Mod. I guess they weren't happy given they chose a stupid name just to make it an F-U bass.

Still a good bass, too bad it has Bart pickups.
haha
Quote by Miss G

"Flea was using the basses and really didnt have any direct connection with us. I invited him to slo to play in a The Mike Krukow Charity Golf Tournament ( former Cal Poly Alumni and Major League pitcher now broadcaster for the San Francisco Giants...has an orange axis) and he accepted. He showed up late barefoot and without a shirt golf clubs or balls. we got on pretty good. From there we supplied him with alot of basses and I hated ihis bass smashing phase. He left over money. He wanted a Flea signature Stingray and I said that wouldnt be right by Leo, Tony, Louis and all of the other stingray players. He said that his drummer was going to make a 100k from snare drum royalties and he wanted to make a cut on stingrays. I thought I had him calmed down but then I got wind of the Modulous deal and the last conversation was his atorney trying to tell me what I had to do and I said the only thing I really get to do is hang up on you....last contact. I wish that Flea and us could have split under better circumstances. I was right though

The funny story about Flea is that I asked him to do an ad for Slinky Bass strings that had just come out. he had the strings claimed to like them and I had a wacky shot of him and it said "Flea's Gone Slinky" The ad came out and Flea said GHS called and was bummed and he didnt know he was doing a string ad....."

this, combined with what happened when I met him, verifies to me that Flea is a cockbag.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
^cockbag?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by UtBDan
this, combined with what happened when I met him, verifies to me that Flea is a cockbag.

I just have to ask: what happened when you met him?
Quote by Miss G

Thank you. That's what I was talking about.
Quote by ccmetz2020
I just have to ask: what happened when you met him?

we (me and 2 bandmates) waited outside a venue in the VIP parking, in RHCP t-shirts, for 2 and a half hours in slightly above freezing weather (call it 34 degrees. It was late October in Albany New York at 1 am.)

Flea comes out, and I'm the first to get to him. I ask him if I can take a picture with him and maybe get an autograph.
He says "No, because then I'd have to give one to everybody."

Flea goes straight to the bus, sits down.

John Frusciante comes out, same question.
John said yes and talked to me and my buddies and the 10-15 other people who waited in the cold for 2 and a half hours their picture and their autograph and their minute or two with John Frusciante.
Flea moved to the front of the bus, so he could watch John do this.

the end.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
we (me and 2 bandmates) waited outside a venue in the VIP parking, in RHCP t-shirts, for 2 and a half hours in slightly above freezing weather (call it 34 degrees. It was late October in Albany New York at 1 am.)

Flea comes out, and I'm the first to get to him. I ask him if I can take a picture with him and maybe get an autograph.
He says "No, because then I'd have to give one to everybody."

Flea goes straight to the bus, sits down.

John Frusciante comes out, same question.
John said yes and talked to me and my buddies and the 10-15 other people who waited in the cold for 2 and a half hours their picture and their autograph and their minute or two with John Frusciante.
Flea moved to the front of the bus, so he could watch John do this.

the end.

That's the most ridiculous thing a pro musician could do, IMO. Your fans are what gives your band life (and money), how could you just shut them down like that? Especially when you're as "inspiring" as Flea is to beginning bassists. I'm baffled. I didn't like Flea to begin with that much, he never struck me as something really special, but he just lost the last bit of respect I had for him.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Thats strange you would think it would be just the opposite, Flea talking to people and John sitting on the bus, at least based on their stage manners and such.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
Thats strange you would think it would be just the opposite, Flea talking to people and John sitting on the bus, at least based on their stage manners and such.

i thought other thing flea, chad and john talking to the fans and anthony on the bus
Quote by slaptasticdave

Cutlass I's are Stingrays with graphite necks made by.... Modulus Graphite.

Quote by smb
I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this. It's a story about a business contract, not about music.

Hey hey hey, I can't stand him because he put a sticker on a one-of-a-kind pre CBS Jazz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I heard that Flea used a Cutlass before but he fucked it up or something so he got a Stingray instead. In one of the old videos he plays a white stickered up Stingray with a black neck so perhaps that was the Cutlass?

In the master sessions video he says that the Stingray was given to him.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p17gyvgCFA

This isn't the video I watched but someone reckons that this is the Cutlass. And everytime I see him play this stickered up bass he has the black Stingray behind as backup.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Last edited by shotbythepope at Aug 15, 2008,
Could it have anything to do with RHCP going on Hiatus?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Could it have anything to do with RHCP going on Hiatus?

Probably not, if anything it might have something to do with them recording again. They are suppose to be back in September, I doubt it but that is what people have been saying.
Page 1 of 2