I think im ready to learn master of puppets ect, so what are your recomendations for learning a songs like this for the first time?
practice alt pickin for solos. practice rapid downstrokes for riffs ( u can play it alternate too but down is traditional for master). one of the riffs is a a bit tricky so slow it down n practice it. also fingerpicking, know how to control each finger. other than that ur set if ur a decent player.
Confidence is good. But you have to know how much is too much. That's when you THINK you learned the song but you're actually just sort of clinking the strings and not making the right sounds. In much clearer words, make sure it's clean. After you've done that, try some dream theater stuff. It WILL make you a better guitarist, assuming you're up to it.

Metronomes are a great thing. Boring but great.

If it's metallica, it is not 100% necessary to learn everything note for note, it's much easier to just rock out.....but that's after the metronome bit.

Anyways, good luck.
Make sure you have enough technical skill under your belt before you try and learn it, or else you will be overwhelmed, but I'm guessing that you already do.
Learn it in chunks. you must break the song down into smaller sections, start with just the first 8 bars, and make sure you can play it well before moving on. If you keep doing this, eventually you'll have the whole thing down.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Use a metronome to practice and keep track of your progress. That's the best advice I can give anyone who wants to work on challenging techniques / songs that are speed-based.
Just practice the song as a whole, you don't to get the song in complete perfection for the first time. After you have completed the song, that's the time when you get into deepeer details. That's what I did, and it worked. C'mon dude you can do that!
Quote by dervishguitar
After you've done that, try some dream theater stuff. It WILL make you a better guitarist, assuming you're up to it.

No DT won't make you a better guitarist, DT will make you a god. If you can play like Petrucci, you are officially a god. I can play a lot of his stuff, but it still needs a lot of work to make it as clean as him. Stuff like In The Name of God. I can play it, but I can't play the solo as cleanly as I would like to.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by zeemonkey
practice alt pickin for solos. practice rapid downstrokes for riffs ( u can play it alternate too but down is traditional for master). one of the riffs is a a bit tricky so slow it down n practice it. also fingerpicking, know how to control each finger. other than that ur set if ur a decent player.

down picking is traditional for master? who knew. i alternate pick

just break it down. the first riff. the verse riff. the chorus. bit by bit and it gets pretty easy
Quote by briman007
down picking is traditional for master? who knew. i alternate pick

Yeah, a huge amount of Metallica rhythm parts are downpicked, basically as long as it's not much faster than the middle part of Sanitarium or the beginning of Disposable Heroes, Metallica downpick it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Learn it in chunks. you must break the song down into smaller sections, start with just the first 8 bars, and make sure you can play it well before moving on. If you keep doing this, eventually you'll have the whole thing down.

Great advice. i always take songs/solos in chunks. I get the first riff down totally clean by practicing slowly an building up speed only when clean sometimes it might be one section of a few bars im working on for a few days if its tricky. I mean get it down perfect dont care about the time it takes. Then learn the next section. MOP is not that hard besides the solos if you memorize all the motions slowly first. If you try to play it close to full speed before you have it memorized like the back of your hand you will get sloppy though. With patience and good practice technique you can definatly do it. Also like the above guy said do the main riffs all down stroked for the authentic sound.