What is the level of importance of having the instruments other then lead guitar playing while trying to create a solo?

basically, what i mean is this: is it important to have the bass/drums/rhythm playing while trying to create a solo, as opposed to simply sitting alone and trying to create a solo?

i am asking this because everything i try and make does not sound very good to me, and i think it may be because there is no one else playing but me. I have put one lead/solo part into a tab over the rhythm guitar, and it sounds drastically different (and better) when the two are both playing.

I want to know whether it is important to have at least a rhythm guitar or bass or drums playing while creating a solo, or if i am just subconciously searching for excuses for the things i make not sounding very good.

additional note: i am not attempting to create unbelievably amazing solo's i.e. eruption or no boundaries, im trying to start with something simple.

i know what im asking may not be 100% clear, but i dont really know any other way to phrase the question.
your solo will sound much better when there is a rhythm playing over it. i think it takes a lot of skill to be able to create a nice solo without it.
alright, thank you for easing my fear. i guess i need a loop station or something equivalent, or ill just plug my rhythm into guitar pro and loop it.

thank you alot (seriously)
Quite important. Solo's sound very weak without the the backing rhythm guitar. Its harmony without its melody, sort of how its very hard to do completely solo singing (as in no backing track or music at all). You need the drums to keep the back bone of the song down, and the bass can open up some wonderful new melodic area's, complimenting you're solo without overpowering it.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I suspect that by creating a rhythm/accompaniment you then also create a rhythmic idea (obviously) which you then you as means for acquiring a structure and consistency that you otherwise would not have. I think it's always beneficial to compose a lead over accompaniment (at least abstractly) so that you have a context and a "big picture."
Quote by SpeedLives
What is the level of importance of having the instruments other then lead guitar playing while trying to create a solo?

basically, what i mean is this: is it important to have the bass/drums/rhythm playing while trying to create a solo, as opposed to simply sitting alone and trying to create a solo?

i am asking this because everything i try and make does not sound very good to me, and i think it may be because there is no one else playing but me. I have put one lead/solo part into a tab over the rhythm guitar, and it sounds drastically different (and better) when the two are both playing.

I want to know whether it is important to have at least a rhythm guitar or bass or drums playing while creating a solo, or if i am just subconciously searching for excuses for the things i make not sounding very good.

additional note: i am not attempting to create unbelievably amazing solo's i.e. eruption or no boundaries, im trying to start with something simple.

i know what im asking may not be 100% clear, but i dont really know any other way to phrase the question.

the accompaniment can have a huge effect of how what you play is heard...

this might not be as true in 'shred' type metal guitar playing, but in certain forms of rock music, and definitely in jazz and blues, an instrumental solo ought to have a deep level of communication and interaction with the accompanying instruments...

possibly the number one criticism of guitar players by other musicians is they we're the worst offenders for not listening and interacting with what's going on around us...

at the very minimum, the backing should set the right harmonic, rhythmic & stylistic context for your solo.. so I guess you could say it's important... it's the canvas you paint on
Last edited by inflatablefilth at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by SpeedLives
alright, thank you for easing my fear. i guess i need a loop station or something equivalent, or ill just plug my rhythm into guitar pro and loop it.

thank you alot (seriously)

Im constantly having the same problem. The answer to your orginal question is yes of course its easier and sounds better with backing. The solos play off whats going on with the music. I want a loop station really badly hopefully will get one sooner or later. All my friends only want to play metal so i cant get someone to play rythem for me to do allman bros style stuff or alice in chains acoustic stuff so a looper would be great for me. I feel your pain.
the rhythm is most important and maybe bass too but you'll need the drums to keep the rhythm
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3