What made bass so appealing to you that you dropped guitar and started playing bass? Also, what genres do you play that bass appealed to you more than guitar?

What did you do with your old guitar equipment?
Bass was appealing because it's such a powerful instrument, you have this underlying control over the structure of the music, which I really love.
Other than that it's kind of underrated as an instrument to a lot of people, so I wanted to play bass in my band and make some fun and different basslines that would make people listen to the bass more.
I usually play alternative rock with it, but really bass spans a wide spectrum of genres and so I dabble in everything I listen to now and then.

I still play guitar.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
I used to play bass for a while after i had played guitar for about 2 years. To be honest i did it cuz of the girls

Yeah... i was in high school and i was playing with the marching band. A friend i had used to do it before he graduated and he'd always have the cheerleaders around him when he played. Bad for me, i broke a finger right after i joined so i never really played during the games.

Anyway... i only played bass my senior year but i loved it. I just prefer the overall smoothness of it.

EDIT: i need to get myself a bass
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I don't think anyone on this forum will have sold their guitars and completely forgotten them. Bass and guitar both have seperate pros and cons, so ideally, you'd want to play both. I took up bass first, then bought a guitar, which I use to write songs and the like.

The thing that makes me focus on my bass more is simply the fact that I find bass more fun.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by mattyp90
Bass was appealing because it's such a powerful instrument, you have this underlying control over the structure of the music, which I really love.
Other than that it's kind of underrated as an instrument to a lot of people, so I wanted to play bass in my band and make some fun and different basslines that would make people listen to the bass more.
I usually play alternative rock with it, but really bass spans a wide spectrum of genres and so I dabble in everything I listen to now and then.

I still play guitar.

exactly what he said but im into everything from funk to metal. without bass a band sounds like CRAP. a good bassist, such as les claypool, MAKES the band. and i do still play guitar, but i focus on bass cuz its just the best feeling in the world when u finnally complete that hard as hell song that uve been working on for like a month. hahahaha (mellowship took me a very long time to do) hahahah
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
I have always loved the sound of bass even from when I was very, very young. But honestly, I came up in a time when it was odd for girls to pick up electric guitars no less a bass. Plus there were always guitars in our house, so naturally I started playing acoustic guitar and then moved to my first electric as a teenager.

I got my first electric guitar around the time punk was just starting, so the whole "here's a chord, here's another, here's a third. Now start a band" really appealed to my friends and I. So I was a roots rock/punk player and then added ska when the 2 Tone era came about. As a guitarist I was definitely firmly in the alternative music scene, though through lessons I learned a bit of classical and flamenco style guitar playing as well.

As a bass player, I play and listen (as a musician) to a much wider group of genres. For example, I now play jazz, metal and funk, which I find much more interesting as a bass player to play than I ever did as a guitarist. And its opened up more opportunities to play different styles of music with different people, more so than I ever had as a guitar player.

I still play guitar and we have several in the house as well. And as I've said previously, I feel I am a much better guitarist now that I play bass. I just love bass and enjoy playing bass much more than I ever did on guitar.
I pretty much started both guitar and bass at the same time when i was in 8th grade. I pretty much sucked at guitar though, while I steadily improved on the 4 string. I basically played both all throughout highschool. When I started university I pretty much gave up guitar and just focused soley on bass, realizing i wasn't going anywhere on guitar. I also did it because i find that the bass lets you be more experimental and original IMHO because everything good/great has already been done with a guitar, while bass I belive is still unexplored territory.
My father played guitar. That , and I loved a powerful rhythm guitar. I first picked up bass in 6th grade, 'twas a Peavey Dyna-bass 5 string. I absolutely loved it. When I found bass, guitar kind of just faded away.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
any1 who pleys guitar can play a bass omg lmao, u gotta b bad 2 quit for bass guitars hahahahahah!
Quote by funnyman3290
any1 who pleys guitar can play a bass omg lmao, u gotta b bad 2 quit for bass guitars hahahahahah!

No, troll. Warned.
I actually started because my band, as well as my youth group needed a bass player. I kept playing because I found it to be more fulfilling than guitar.

Quote by funnyman3290

Die.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Simple.
No bass, no beer.
My abilities on guitar are such that there would be no need for my services in any band. I could fit in as a bassplayer though, and that's why I switched. The professional status of our band is on the lowest possible level; getting free drinks, and through playing bass I get access to free beer. Too much free beer sometimes.
So I must admit I really am the stereotypical 'sucks on any instrument so give him the bass and let him strike a root note on every first measure' from the bass players bashing jokes. Sorry for damaging the reputation of all real bassists. Believe me; I don't do it out of disrespect.
I do it because I like beer
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Simple.
No bass, no beer.
My abilities on guitar are such that there would be no need for my services in any band. I could fit in as a bassplayer though, and that's why I switched. The professional status of our band is on the lowest possible level; getting free drinks, and through playing bass I get access to free beer. Too much free beer sometimes.
So I must admit I really am the stereotypical 'sucks on any instrument so give him the bass and let him strike a root note on every first measure' from the bass players bashing jokes. Sorry for damaging the reputation of all real bassists. Believe me; I don't do it out of disrespect.
I do it because I like beer

Haha, fair enough. I played guitar in a band for 5 years and rustled up a fair ammount of professional gear. That band broke up and I wanted to start a band myslef and play muic I wanted to play. I started that band playing guitar as well and went through about 3 bass players. I was finally like "**** it, I'll play bass" due to my long time appreciation for the bass sound. I now play bass in my band and love every second of it. I make it a point to make our basslines as melodic as possible.

As far as my old equipment, our guitarist is so poor that I just let him use it. haha. Plus Someday I'll have a lot of really nice guitar an bass equipment if I ever record stuff.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
I wanted to take music at school in Gr. 11 and the only string instrument in the course was bass, so I took it up.

Eventually I got into a lot of Jaco Pastorius/Weather Report and progressed rather quickly. Another appealing factor is that there are a dozen guitarists for every bassist, and its pretty easy to get into a band. I still play guitar just as much, it's just now I spend more time playing both.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
I chose to start playing bass very recently, although I've owned one for about 3-4 years.

I'm a chords man really, rhythm guitar, and was in a band. 12 years ago i was offered the position of bassist when he left, so we could go to a 4 piece- i rejected, and that was the end of me. They got a new bass player and I was history.

Kinda ironic now that all these years later i mainly play bass! Still love my guitars though and will always play them
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Dan_Q
I chose to start playing bass very recently, although I've owned one for about 3-4 years.

I'm a chords man really, rhythm guitar, and was in a band. 12 years ago i was offered the position of bassist when he left, so we could go to a 4 piece- i rejected, and that was the end of me. They got a new bass player and I was history.

Kinda ironic now that all these years later i mainly play bass! Still love my guitars though and will always play them

I still play rythm and lead guitar in my band, but I love playing bass lines. I especially enjoy walking bass lines!
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
I play both, I started with guitar first, but I wanted to look into bass guitars too, so it just came naturally.
Those who really understand the guitar is at least able to play bass at a decent level.
Simple case for me.

Brother bought a really banged up bass guitar £5. Fixed it up (poorly) and woo, we have a bass guitar in the house!

Got a band going at school, drummer and 3 guitarists.

"Hey man, your brother has a bass.... why not use it?!"
"Sure."

And henceforth, I now play bass.

And damn, it's been a huge experience for me since I learn more about music and fitting in a band.

I still want to join another band as a guitarist though, see how they work!
ive just started playing and what i love about the bass is the umph and the underlying tone you play in a bands tone. also beucase you can blow peoples face off and its acutally not as hard in my genre though (brootalz) but i still play good if you know what i mean.
Nothing complicated in my case. I was just curious, that's all. Try something different.

Needless to say, I loved it and kept playing.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Bass players are always in demand when guitarist aren't. I now suck at guitar, the strings are so small.
I was playing my sister's Squier bullet and thought wouldn't it be awesome if I could get a much fuller tone out of this crappy guitar. Then later while listening to "no reply at all" I decided that I would ditch the guitar and get a bass. Next thing I know I'm at the local guitar shop and the dude their sells me a '95 MIA Jbass (used) with a fender rumble 15 for $414.
I sold that bass.
Quote by Fender_punk
Haha, fair enough. I played guitar in a band for 5 years and rustled up a fair ammount of professional gear. That band broke up and I wanted to start a band myslef and play muic I wanted to play. I started that band playing guitar as well and went through about 3 bass players. I was finally like "**** it, I'll play bass" due to my long time appreciation for the bass sound. I now play bass in my band and love every second of it. I make it a point to make our basslines as melodic as possible.

As far as my old equipment, our guitarist is so poor that I just let him use it. haha. Plus Someday I'll have a lot of really nice guitar an bass equipment if I ever record stuff.

I've really thought of doing that but i've already spent enough money on guitar gear and for some reason my cousin likes my ideas on guitar (very melodic and experimental) so i'm not so sure about switching to bass. I'll admit that i'm not actually a bassist but i've got a decent hold of it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
well, I was actually kind of forced to switch to bass, but I've always wanted to try it out. I know 6 other guitarists. And Not a single bassist. So my buddy and I (Hes a drummer) Wanted to start something up. Since we had the pick of the litter I was just like **** I'll play bass I guess. I absolutely love it now. You can just crank it up and feel it rattle your dick. Its just such a smooth sound. It seems you can crank it up and it doesnt hurt your ears either. I've been to a lot of shows. And its hella fun to have the ringing ears after wards. But I try to restrict that for shows only. With the bass, you dont hear it, you feel it. Tubes ftw. but anyways. I've been playing guitar for 6 years. Shredding for 4 of them. So it feels good to be the best bassist in all of HMB (... and only I guess...) I'm a pick guy though. It just sounds better! I can do fingers and slap (and I do when we cover a RHCP song). But I find myself loving that aggressive slappy sound from a pick. Not to mention being able to play faster.
I played guitar for about 2 years before I finally saw the light, Bass! I guess Is started playing for two resons. 1, I wanted to be in a band and could barley make it through a whole song as a guitarist. 2, I got to chance to really play bass for the first time, a few friends of mine was going to do a preformance for our graduation. so I tryed it out and loved it!
also me and a few friends wanted to start a band but guess what, we all played guitar so someone had to move onto bass and I did. allways thought it was way cooler with some heavy grooving then shreding some scale as fast as you can.

as for music styles im alot more versal as a bassist, I play almost everything but I strictly lissen to metalish musik.