so i make electronic/ambient/jazz music and i use alot of samples sped up/slowed down/chopped up/whatever, and I was wondering the legality surrounding copyright laws on these.

At the moment im just using samples from sample CD's and nothing from an artists album, so is that all ok to use without worrying about copyright?

and even if it was a section from an artist how would that change things?

Thanks very much.
I think you'd need permission from the artist if you wanted to use their material as samples. I can't be positive on this matter though.
NOPE.
If it was off a cd of samples though, made with the intention of being used in work such as this, they'd be ok to use, right? without needing permission?
I think you'd need permission if you started making money out of the sample/song, but otherwise you should be ok
(don't take my advice as legal advice, im a bit of a goober)
Drive me home Jeeves
Quote by Magic_Joel
If it was off a cd of samples though, made with the intention of being used in work such as this, they'd be ok to use, right? without needing permission?

Yeah, I would think that a sample cd, would be ok to take from. For artists though, your gonna need permission.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by GarlicBread
I think you'd need permission if you started making money out of the sample/song, but otherwise you should be ok

I lol'd.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I don't really have an intention of using artists samples yet anyway, just due to the fact i think it makes it sound a little too unoriginal, but with using samples from sample cd's i don't want to get myself into a whole lot of "ish" before i've even got anywhere.
Dunno about the sample cd thing, but you have to pay artists to sample their music.
Ah, actually, i've just found something that answers my questions...

"You may use the sounds in combination with other sounds within your musical compositions. You may release such compositions commercially without payment of any further fees or royalties for such usage. For example, if you are the original purchaser of a Origin SeriesCD, and you used sounds from it to create the soundtrack of a television commercial, simply by combining a drum loop sample with a guitar loop sample, and the TV advert was broadcast hundreds of times, you would keep all the royalties that the advert earns you, because you already purchased a private license to use the sounds commercially. You cannot use the sounds in isolation (i.e. when not within musical compositions) as part of a commercially released project - for instance you cannot use the sounds to make another sample CD, or "library music" sound file album, or multimedia sound library CD-ROM."

Sorted.
If anybody asks you just say;l

"I am not ripping that song off...I am inter-textually referencing it".
Quote by GarlicBread

You mean Goomba?

In a nut shell, with regards to sampling off sampling CD's...

"When you puchase a Sampling CD, you are NOT obtaining OWNERSHIP of the sounds - you are in fact purchasing a LICENSE to use the sounds within your musical compositions, whether or not your compositions are released commercially. The original producer of the sounds will always remain the OWNER of the sounds."

So I can use them as much as I fancy, just not claim I made them!
Quote by Magic_Joel

Depending on the samples CD. If they are royalty free, use as much as you like!
You can use 20 seconds, after that you have to have permission, I believe.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish