Page 1 of 2
Sound like **** when not completely cranked and tweaked extensively. I went to GC to try some mesas yesterday and I must say that the single and triple recto were by far some of the worst amps ive ever heard. After about 30 mins of tweaking I did start to hear something decent coming out..but wtf gives?
Well. Congratulations, you've just formed an opinion on an amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Most tube amps sound crappy at low volume, they're made to be cranked a bit. You wont hear it with a Mesa til the volumes around 4.
I challenge you to do the same with an Orange Rockerverb 50. it's impossible to make them sound bad
Quote by caraluzzo
Most tube amps sound crappy at low volume, they're made to be cranked a bit. You wont hear it with a Mesa til the volumes around 4.

I realize this..that's why i sent back my Peavey 6505...but I'm honestly starting to think that something was wrong with the cables/tubes as its GC and they cant maintain **** properly if their lives depended on it. i cranked it up a bit and it still sounded meh...but some of my favorite bands use it so more power to them and w/e the f they do (Gojira and Strapping Young Lad)
Quote by caraluzzo
Most tube amps sound crappy at low volume

That is not my experience at all. Do they sound better turned up? Yes. Do they all sound crappy at low volumes? Not by any means.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by alexlemon2
I challenge you to do the same with an Orange Rockerverb 50. it's impossible to make them sound bad

there was an amp that i could actually not get a bad tone out of..it was the Randall GH130 hybrid...i tell you...every amp i have..i do a thing called the black metal tone (yea i listen to it yet mock it :p) where I max the gain, no mids..no bass...max treble and presence and i tell you it did NOT sound that bad lol i was surprised
Quote by TNfootballfan62
That is not my experience at all. Do they sound better turned up? Yes. Do they all sound crappy at low volumes? Not by any means.

i agree. but it also depends on the amp. ive heard some that sound awesome at low vols (engl...) and some that sound like crap as well (peavey)
TN, I didn't say all tube amps. Reread my post.

TS, your right that GC probably dosn't maintain there amps, they don't maintain anything else.. I dought you cranked the amp up loud enough for you to see how it really sounds though. If you had the same situation with your 6505 then I wouldn't see a point in a dumb thread such as this.
because the mesa sounded much worse at the same volumes as the 6505. i was just wondering if the mesa takes more tweaking than most other amps to get the a good tone out..or if there is no way to get around it without playing at live volume levels
^^Okay, you said "most." Still, "most" tubes amps that i've ever played sounded fine at low volumes. They weren't reaching their potential, because they still sounded fine. I'm just trying to do away with this bandwagon that you shouldn't play tube amps unless you can crank them, but that seems to be a popular myth. They don't sound bad at low volumes, generally.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I've had similar experiences with the Dual and Triple Recto but surprisingly enough I played a Single Recto that blew me away at low volumes. Also you mentioned Gojira when they use there 6505/5150's on stage there volume is usually set to 3 to loud for a bedroom sure but not as loud as you would think it would need to be cranked to achieve great tone. Not all amps need to be cranked to 8 to sound good.
Quote by caraluzzo
Most tube amps sound crappy at low volume

Common misconception.

No they don't.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I am aware that Gojira uses both...however when I saw them live they had Rectos hooked up on stage (dunno if they were just dummys or not) and most of From Mars to Sirius was recorded with rectos i believe
It may not be the amp that sounds bad at low volumes.

Speakers need to be working to sound good. If you're playing at super low volumes on any amp it will not sound good. Playing an amp at 0.5 really will not work the speakers at all, especially for a 240 watt cabinet (I'll assume the triple was paired with a 4x12 filled with V30s).

Its amazing how much people underrate the cab.
Quote by alexlemon2

+1
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by al112987
It may not be the amp that sounds bad at low volumes.

Speakers need to be working to sound good. If you're playing at super low volumes on any amp it will not sound good. Playing an amp at 0.5 really will not work the speakers at all, especially for a 240 watt cabinet (I'll assume the triple was paired with a 4x12 filled with V30s).

Its amazing how much people underrate the cab.

i used a 212 with V30s and the volume was up at about 1.0-1.25
TS, from the handful of Mesa's I've played they took a bit of tweaking to get anything good out of it. I've messed with them alot at low volumes though, and I have yet to get anything I really like. On the other hand, I've cranked them up pretty loud and tweaked around with them and got some good tones from it. The only Mesa I've played and liked at lower volumes was the Roadster combos.

TN, I've only played a few tube amps, out of the many I've played, that sounded good at low volumes. This has nothing to do with a 'band wagon' or anything. Most the people on here that swear by tube amps have yet to accually play one. The Peavey Ultra I currently own sounds pretty good at low volumes, so I know it is possible to get a descent tone from a low volume tube amp. Alot of other amps on the other hand, (Peavey 6505, Mesa Recto's, Kranks, Valve Kings ect.), sound like crap at low volumes. Not all amps need to be cranked to sound descent, but 'most' tube amps I've played do.
Quote by kayman121
I am aware that Gojira uses both...however when I saw them live they had Rectos hooked up on stage (dunno if they were just dummys or not) and most of From Mars to Sirius was recorded with rectos i believe

They swap out amps alot, they also use Roadsters as well from time to time..
^^^I can't argue with you about your experience with the amps you've played, and I'm not accusing you of being on the bandwagon, but there are plenty of people that argue against buying tube amps in general because they sound crappy at low volumes that are on that bandwagon. I can't stand that, so I'm just getting my opinion out there that most tube amps i've played sounded fine at reasonably quiet levels.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^^^I can't argue with you about your experience with the amps you've played, and I'm not accusing you of being on the bandwagon, but there are plenty of people that argue against buying tube amps in general because they sound crappy at low volumes that are on that bandwagon. I can't stand that, so I'm just getting my opinion out there that most tube amps i've played sounded fine at reasonably quiet levels.

No problem dude, I understand where you're coming from. I'm just trying to get my opinion across just like you are, I'm not TRYING to be a complete ass about it either. I see tons of people who say every amp sounds bad at low volumes around here, so I see where you're coming from.
Im curious as what amps the T.S. is used to playing. Im not a die hard mesa fan by any means *coughs* marshall * but I do know that mesa eq section is one trick pony. The first time i ran my fingers thru one I couldnt get a decent tone to save me life. A guy sat next to me and started to show me the ropes and I have a appreciation for what mesa does.

the recto's and jcm's sound awesome together on stage. Each amp compliments each other.........Cant we all just get along?
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Besides what's been mentioned already, most of the Mesa amps are a bit of a pain to dial in, for the most part they aren't plug and play. The Recto EQ is a bit odd, the signal passes thru the gain and treble first, so those controls basically dictate what the rest of the EQ has to work with, they really shape the voicing of the amp. It takes a bit of quality sit down time to really dial one in IME, even if you are already familiar with their EQ.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I've found Rectifiers generally sound like ass by themselves, but incredible in a full band mix.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by JaredFace
Im curious as what amps the T.S. is used to playing. Im not a die hard mesa fan by any means *coughs* marshall * but I do know that mesa eq section is one trick pony. The first time i ran my fingers thru one I couldnt get a decent tone to save me life. A guy sat next to me and started to show me the ropes and I have a appreciation for what mesa does.

the recto's and jcm's sound awesome together on stage. Each amp compliments each other.........Cant we all just get along?

Peavey 6505, Randall RH150, Marshall Valvestate, Vox Valvetronix Head, Mesa Mark IV
While there is a certain and specific tone from the Mesa Rectifier series that I absolutely LOVE, I've heard just as many Recto tones that suck massively.

As far as tube amps at low volume, I run my Bugera 333XL half-stack at like .5 in my bedroom when I'm just messing around and it still sounds better than my practice amp.
Quote by alexlemon2
These go to eleven...
Quote by kayman121
...the single and triple recto were by far some of the worst amps ive ever heard...
You're trying the wrong Mesas

*cough* MKIV *cough*
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I wonder if the "tube amps sound bad at low volumes" belief comes from the tendency, when practicing at home, to use too much gain and not enough volume: this can make higher-gain amps sound really fizzy and loose. My Mesa isn't as high-gain as the recto line, but I do notice a big difference when I use less gain & more volume to get some power amp distortion: the bass is tighter, and the tone is less harsh.
Quote by Yngwi3
Common misconception.

No they don't.

+1
The don't sound as good, but they don't sound BAD. In fact, i like how mine sounds at 1 or 2.

I think Rectos are a bit notorius for taking a lot of tweaking to get a good sound.
Quote by Steve BP
I wonder if the "tube amps sound bad at low volumes" belief comes from the tendency, when practicing at home, to use too much gain and not enough volume: this can make higher-gain amps sound really fizzy and loose. My Mesa isn't as high-gain as the recto line, but I do notice a big difference when I use less gain & more volume to get some power amp distortion: the bass is tighter, and the tone is less harsh.

Umm... So your answer to "tube amps sound bad at low volumes" is "you're not using enough volume"?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Typically high gain tube amps sound decent at low volumes, but I can agree that the Recto series need to be above 11 o'clock to sound at their best.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Umm... So your answer to "tube amps sound bad at low volumes" is "you're not using enough volume"?

D'oh!
If you don't dial any amp in correctly it will sound bad at low volumes. Mesa's tend to like to be tweaked. If you know what you are doing, then you can get GREAT tones out of a DR at low volumes.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by UncleCthulhu
I disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLb7sj8ErS0

PS: I do realise he uses a Stiletto aswell

I ****ing love his two part gear vid. He's a funny as hell dude and can play his ass off. There are quite a few songs I've heard from SYL that have amazing tone.
Mesa amps are a bitch to EQ. You can't just dial in some random setting with them and expect it to sound good.
Quote by caraluzzo

umm idk, my friend's marshall JCM2000 half stack pretty much always sounds beautiful...so do the fender hot rod, fender deville. and bugera 333 at my local shop...and my silvertone sounds best at low volume....well...basically all tube amps i have played sound amazing at high and low volumes......
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Page 1 of 2