Been playing for years, and I always laughed at that little sticker job on Vai's guitars with KONX written on them. "stops the high E catching on the pick up" he says. Not once have I ever seen that happen.

And now it just happened to me lol and i wasn't even using my whammy bar! I was staring at the nut, then the bridge, then the nut. What the hell, where's it catching...oh...oh ok...better get some tape and a black marker...
Tape over the edges of the pick-ups? I'm pretty sure dimebag did that too, it's on his guitars.
Quote by Horlicks
Tape over the edges of the pick-ups? I'm pretty sure dimebag did that too, it's on his guitars.

dimebag did it in a different way. vai does it on the bottom but dimebag has it on both edges for some reason.
Its a pretty common problem really, but a bit of decent black tape will do the trick

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Never happens to me for some reason, so until it does, I'm holding off on the duct tape
ohai little sig.
i'm confused. can someone possibly explain this to me?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

The tape over the neck humbucker prevents the high E string from getting caught underneath the little protruding edge of the pickup.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Blompcube

It's to stop the string catching on the pretruding edge of the pickup when using the tremolo to divebomb