I've been browsing around seeing these threads about people wanting to do metal on tube but not spend an arm and a leg. A common example being the valveking, you apparantly need a pedal to be able to play metal, but i never see recommended pedal. Here's what i've learned so far . There are apparantly two ways to use a pedal, to use an overdrive pedal to tighten the distortion on the lead channel, or to use a distortion pedal to use on the clean channel of an amp. There's an all tube crate v 33w on sale for 250, i have a $400 budget for an amp, any ideas on what pedal?
Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD-9, Maxon OD-808, Boss HM-2. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.
A ZW-44 Wylde overdrive would be good for metal. Look at some of the good youtube demos.
I have played the MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive Pedal, although I was a bit skeptical about it being a signature effect...it sounded great, and I don't like Zakk Wylde.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
i think you should try the amp with an OD as a boost and see if you like the gain you get from there. Good od's to look into would be ts-808, mad od-808, ts-9, maxon od-9, or a digitech bad monkey if your on a budget. If your looking for a distortion pedal maybe a metal muff.
^^yea and it probably has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE. but seriously ive heard the metal muff is good and the TS-9
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
I use the Metal zone pedal from boss...it has a pretty good sounding distortion, but theres a lot of highs on it, it sounds pretty good on my crate.
Quote by acrozombie2000
I use the Metal zone pedal from boss...it has a pretty good sounding distortion, but theres a lot of highs on it, it sounds pretty good on my crate.

I have one and I wouldn't recommend it, it just sounds too digital for my tastes.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?