I'm trying to decide which little tube amp I should buy and I think I have it narrowed down to my final two choices. Either a Fender Superchamp XD or a Blackheart Little Giant 5 Mini Stack. What I want to know is, are there advantages to having a stack? Any opinions are helpful, thanks.
stacks vs. combos = cars vs. bikes

stacks are much more powerful, generally give a "better" sound, make you look good on stage and have higher volume levels for "band practicing" and what not...but are overall much more expensive, and difficult to carry around.

combos are usually more for practicing by yourself, small and compact make them easy for transportation from house to house or w/e, are usually cheaper much cheaper than stacks, but do not compare in sound quality or aesthetics to the stacks.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
The Blackheart is a mmuch better amp, though you will probably need an od. What genres are you playing? It is perfect for blues, classic rock, maybe a little hard rock. There is an advantage to stacks because you can mix and match cabs for a better sound.
Thanks. Both amps are 5 watts, will it still be louder? I know that that is how tube and SS is, is it similar with combo and stack. Both amps cost 300, so price isn't an issue here either, it is solely a question of which one has more positives than the other.
Last edited by rhcpjhlz at Aug 14, 2008,
I play blues, funk, rock mostly, but mess around with heavy stuff sometimes, never seriously. I already have a double muff pedal, so that's covered, but i need reverb. That is an advantage of the Fender, all it's effects.
Quote by rhcpjhlz
I play blues, funk, rock mostly, but mess around with heavy stuff sometimes, never seriously. I already have a double muff pedal, so that's covered, but i need reverb. That is an advantage of the Fender, all it's effects.

Get a tubescreamer of some sort and a a reverb pedal and you will be set. It is perfect for those genres. i think the muff is distortion wihich is a big no no. Unless you need a lot of gain. Check out a Bad Monkey and EHX holy grail.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
stacks vs. combos = cars vs. bikes

stacks are much more powerful, generally give a "better" sound, make you look good on stage and have higher volume levels for "band practicing" and what not...but are overall much more expensive, and difficult to carry around.

combos are usually more for practicing by yourself, small and compact make them easy for transportation from house to house or w/e, are usually cheaper much cheaper than stacks, but do not compare in sound quality or aesthetics to the stacks.

Stack vs. Combo has nothing at all to do with power. In this case, the Superchamp is 15W to the Blackheart's 5W. The Fender will be noticeably louder.

"Better sound" comes from better amps and better speakers, not from whether it comes as two pieces or one. Many, many artists gig with combos. You see Vox AC30's, Fender Twins, etc., on stage all the time. I could go one forever listing better, louder combos than stacks for the same money.

Buying an amp based on what it looks like is stupid. Nice to match quality innards to an attractive appearance, but go for the insides.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.