I am getting interviewed tues to be a guitar teacher at my local ymca. And I was wanting some help on where to start. If you guys got any sites on here that really helped you out on giving lessons and junk lets see em.
A.K.A. Titanguy
try starting out teahing whats in books, like the ernie ball series. thats where i started. then try and throw in whatever you feel they should learn.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Ya get one of those "method" books that teach you to sight read and stuff. Hal Leonard is a good one that I use.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Well different teachers have different styles. The books are probably good for some people but i know that i would have gotten bored real quick that way. My guitar teacher teaches by having me bring in cds I like and we pick a song from them. We learn that song all the way through(or as far as the student can go). You have them learn the songs teaching theory along the way, using what the song is using. This way it keeps them interested.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Wow I wasn't even considering books. Because they could just eliminate me and go out and buy the book
A.K.A. Titanguy
Campfire chords CAGED
I still don't know them lol... (But I'm learning them sometime this week! [as in whenever I feel like looking online])
yeah hal leonard is great. i teach with that book, and i make up my own lessons. basically..when you teach, you have to find each kid's aptitude and learn how they learn and what method's best for them
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Let 'em play what they want, I went to a teacher, and he knew everything, playing wise...

Then he got sick and quit, and some pedo became my teacher and he was full of ****. Let them do what they want, don't force crap down their throats, make sure they're getting somewhere.

Here's a few websites...
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/could-you-teach-guitar/
http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/WordPressBlog/
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

My teacher would give me a song to learn (started with Hal Leonard stuff, then into some classical books, then Jazz) and I'd have a week to learn it flawlessly. If he felt I practiced enough to play it well, he'd let me bring any song I wanted and teach me how to play it for the last 10-15 minutes of the lesson. That was years ago, before I knew you could just get tabs online.
Sorry to burst your bubble but if you don't know what to teach I don't think you should.

Feel free to go ahead but that's my opinion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You idiot I know what to teach. String names, major chords, minor chords, pentatonic scales, major scales, minor scales, and junk. I just didnt know what approach to take to it.
A.K.A. Titanguy
Quote by shredbeyndshred
You idiot I know what to teach. String names, major chords, minor chords, pentatonic scales, major scales, minor scales, and junk. I just didnt know what approach to take to it.

Zaphod isn't an idiot. I've seen a lot of his posts around here and he sure has my respect. Besides, I think you took his comment the wrong way.

Someone suggested books, that's the best way to go about teaching. That IS how a lot of school teachers go about teaching. Information in a book is nothing unless you know how to apply it.
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Your first post gives now clue as to whether or not you know what to do at all. I assumed because it says "I was wanting some help on where to start." I assumed you didn't have a clue.

Start off with string names and basic open chords and the major scale in that order.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.