i need someone experienced to tell me about the tube pins on preamp and poweramp tubes...i took out my power tubes (el34l jjs) and put them back, each one in the socket it came from BUT i wasnt 100% sure if i put them so that the gap in the pins is facing the right direction...u know the socket has 9 holes and the tube has 8 pins so one hole remains empty when i plug in the tubes in.

Does this affect anything? does it affect anything when done with preamp tubes?
thanks guys u d be a real help.
Quote by georgakis187
i need someone experienced to tell me about the tube pins on preamp and poweramp tubes...i took out my power tubes (el34l jjs) and put them back, each one in the socket it came from BUT i wasnt 100% sure if i put them so that the gap in the pins is facing the right direction...u know the socket has 9 holes and the tube has 8 pins so one hole remains empty when i plug in the tubes in.

Does this affect anything? does it affect anything when done with preamp tubes?
thanks guys u d be a real help.

They should only fit one way for power amp tubes. There is a key hole type of plug that will only allow the tube to fit correctly. Preamp tubes are the same, the way the sockets are will only allow you to place the tube in the correct orientation.

And if it is placed incorrectly, yes, it does affect things. The different pins go to various parts of the tube (heaters, grids, plates) and the amp is wired so that the current goes to the correct socket which goes to the correct place in the tube.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 14, 2008,
It doesnt matter just put the empty facing in front of you.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"