Page 1 of 2
even though there are A LOT of people dying from hunger?

We were talking about this in class today and thought it was interesting. What's your view on this? Should countries/companies/universities, etc spend money on space research when there are millions of people starving or dying from a treatable diseases?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
yes!

and i seriously mean it.

the question should be should there be more money spent developing more weapons n fighting wars?!
we'll need space eventually, we as a people are essentially locusts, we take and take from the earth until theres nothing left, so we move on, we're gonna run outta space & resources here
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Yeah... lets stop the progress of mankind because theres alot of people that don't have jobs and feed off of government money.

/sarcasm.

Seriously, you're never going to stop poverty. You WILL make progress in space exporation and technology.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
yes
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Because of Space Wars. Countries want to discover something in space that others havent and use it against them. They are afraid other counties will discover something first.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

yes. that is life and natural selection, but id manage them both somehow, so when the people start to rly overcrowd and not even weapons can manage, we can send express flights to other planets or the sun.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by af_the_fragile
yes!

and i seriously mean it.

the question should be should there be more money spent developing more weapons n fighting wars?!

exactly. there are plenty of things much less deserving than e.g. space research on which money is wasted. stop those before you stop scientific research.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What is the government gonna do, shovel free food into hungry people's mouths? That's not their business.
Space research is the government's business and should be explored.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
we cant slow down science to feed the poor, a person's life is short, time is infinite. The survival of our species so an african guy can live another week is douchy
People aren't going to stop destroying the world, they've already left their mark and it's getting worse. All we can do is try and slow down a bit. Science is nescassary because we need to find new resources and places to put people, i.e. Mars.
meh
Quote by ShredGod George
we'll need space eventually, we as a people are essentially locusts, we take and take from the earth until theres nothing left, so we move on, we're gonna run outta space & resources here

i believe that if we have problems here, what's the point of going into space. it'll only cause more problems. just my 2 cents.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
I dunno, I'm on the fence. One side of me says, "Why put men in space when we have men who don't have apartments?" and the other side is thrilled by the mysteries and useful discoveries of space. Since we are watching the skies, it won't be very easy for a meteor to sneak up on us and kill us all; we can blow it up or move its path first. So I guess if we didn't go into space, we could all die as soon as tomorrow.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by fli.pansy
i believe that if we have problems here, what's the point of going into space. it'll only cause more problems. just my 2 cents.

its taken us millions of years to fill this planet up, the solar system'll hold us over for awhile
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Pleasure2kill
What is the government gonna do, shovel free food into hungry people's mouths?

Thats what they do, man. Ever heard of food stamps? Its possible to attain government certification to get free food from certain places if you don't have enough income to afford to live. You also don't have to pay taxes. In essence, these people don't give anything to society; they take from the government and give no work to the public.

Yeah! Lets give them MORE money! Great plan! haha
-Jim Morrison
Quote by smb
This question hardly deserves an answer.

Your reply hardly deserves reading.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by ShredGod George
its taken us millions of years to fill this planet up, the solar system'll hold us over for awhile

but i mean if we have problems here, its not like we can just forget about it and peace out. like if we go into outer space, we'll probably run into the same problems, and most definitely, some new ones.
NASA recieve a pretty paltry budget actually.

There are tons of other things I'd rather governments cut before any sort of scientific endeavour.

i.e.

weapons (R&D)

military (size of)

MP salaries

MP "allowances"
money is not the solution to eradicating poverty.
seriously.

Its more down to better education and services.
We should spend our money on space research, then we can a planetmade of cheese to send all the hungry people too
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by af_the_fragile
yes!

and i seriously mean it.

Well, but that question wouldn't make much of a debate
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Your reply hardly deserves reading.

Well you read it.
meh
I think there's enough money to go around if all countries pull together.

We were destined to leave this planet. The universe is huge, we must see what is beyond the milkyway.

I mean who knows? Maybe Pokemon are real...
i'm actually surprised by these answers. i thought most people would be for helping the poor. there are so many people bitching about war costs, saying "look at the world hunger we could put an end to". you never hear "you'll never stop poverty" in those arguments. i agree though, we should continue to fund space exploration (although i think NASA spends a bit too extravagantly), and i really get annoyed when people oppose a large program simply because it "takes away money that could be better spent on the poor". realistically, we're never just going to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the poor and starving. we're overpopulated as it is.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by ZackyJW83
Well you read it.

Well, he replied.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by metaldud536
I mean who knows? Maybe Pokemon are real...

something i dream about every night before i sleep...
you cant take money away from science, you cant take money away from anything really, because the second you do a groups going to show up and protest it till the idea is revoked, its going to happen to every different thing you try to get money away from to put it into another good cause. its the one catch 22 i see with democracy people can protest whatever they want weather it be good or not, thus a good idea will get lumped in with a bad idea and condemed. but without democracy theres not much our country would be good at. (no knocks to other political build just my country sucks without a leader (albeit this ones not the best) so i said what i said).
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yeah... lets stop the progress of mankind because theres alot of people that don't have jobs and feed off of government money.

/sarcasm.

Seriously, you're never going to stop poverty. You WILL make progress in space exporation and technology.

I 100% agree with that.

or as most of you would say:

+1
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
Quote by fli.pansy
but i mean if we have problems here, its not like we can just forget about it and peace out. like if we go into outer space, we'll probably run into the same problems, and most definitely, some new ones.

I think if we could migrate to another planet the government would probably charge us a few thousand to leave this earth. We'll continue to have the same problems as we always do just somewhere else in outer space.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I think if we could migrate to another planet the government would probably charge us a few thousand to leave this earth. We'll continue to have the same problems as we always do just somewhere else in outer space.

exactly.. we'll run into old and new problems wherever we go, and that's life.
Quote by blues-guitarist
Well, but that question wouldn't make much of a debate

This doesn't make much debate either.
You can't stop scientific progress and space research. We are living the way we are today is all because of this. Without scientific and space research we'ld still be stuck in the middle ages driven around by horses and cattle.

And the whole weapons research and war thing doesn't make much debate either. But countries still continue to spend billions every year on developing better and more efficient ways of killing people. It makes me sick to a certain point. I was watching this show on discovery channel about the next generation fighter planes and one of the developers of the plane was going on about how in the future there will be dogfights in the air and these planes would be all so efficient in killing the enemy. It was just the way he was so excited and anticipating it was making me sick. As if he was contemplating towards more wars and the figure and getting excited thinking about his efficient ways of killing people.

I say why can't we just stop fighting each other and work towards scientific and economic progress to see a more peaceful and better world in the future where humans can efficient live in harmony with the nature.

But no. Humans like to destroy the nature and each other. Nothing can stop that!!
Quote by blues-guitarist
even though there are A LOT of people dying from hunger?

We were talking about this in class today and thought it was interesting. What's your view on this? Should countries/companies/universities, etc spend money on space research when there are millions of people starving or dying from a treatable diseases?

People are always going to die of starvation and poverty. That will always be true. I think it's important. Space technology has a huge impact on medicine. Many experiments can only be conducted in the low gravity of space. Anyway I think we should keep at it. However I think some of the things nasa does are not worth the money.
Quote by madhampster
People are always going to die of starvation and poverty. That will always be true. I believe it's important, Space technology has a huge impact on medicine. Many experiments can only be conducted in the low gravity of space. Anyway I think we should keep at it. However I think some of the things nasa does are not worth the money.

Not just medicine. Its pretty much everything the modern technology has is a research of space research. Things like mobile phones, GPS navigation systems, satellite/digital television, faster/smaller computers, robotics, internet pretty much everything we all take for granted nowdays!
Quote by af_the_fragile
Not just medicine. Its pretty much everything the modern technology has is a research of space research. Things like mobile phones, GPS navigation systems, satellite/digital television, faster/smaller computers, robotics, internet pretty much everything we all take for granted nowdays!

+20,000,000
I was just pointing out the medicine as the topic was starvation and disease.
Page 1 of 2