I was never taught any theory, not even scales and the likes (my first song was stairway to heaven. Suffice to say my teacher ddnt last long b4 I decided to learn the guitar myself) but I think I have an acceptable knowledge of guitar music theory at current. I've been playing for what, 7 months or so? and I now really want to push on with my playing. I'm grateful to all the online sources for music theory, especially here on UG, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to any books that could teach me full, deatiled guitar theory, just as a sorta physical reference to push on my playing. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

http://www.berkleemusic.com/store/product?product%5fid=11250&usca%5fp=t

There you go. I used that one and it includes a lot of stuff I learned in classes and through private lessons at Berklee. No book will be an "end all" book, but that one is pretty inclusive and a great place to really get into it.

An important thing to keep in mind, though, is that a book like this is geared towards the guitar player and not necessarily a general music student looking to learn broad theory. It all relates, but the approach to studying theory as a standalone is a little different than learning it as it strictly relates to guitar.
dummies book of music theory its amazing
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by PSM
http://www.berkleemusic.com/store/product?product%5fid=11250&usca%5fp=t

There you go. I used that one and it includes a lot of stuff I learned in classes and through private lessons at Berklee. No book will be an "end all" book, but that one is pretty inclusive and a great place to really get into it.

An important thing to keep in mind, though, is that a book like this is geared towards the guitar player and not necessarily a general music student looking to learn broad theory. It all relates, but the approach to studying theory as a standalone is a little different than learning it as it strictly relates to guitar.

Mate, thanks this looks really good. Yeh, I would prefer it to be specifically geared towards the guitarist tbh, so yeh this looks great. I think I might just get myself a copy

@Conca- Is that just general music theory or is it useful for simple guitarists too?
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

I recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" by Michael Miller.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Yeah that's a good book .A follow up purchase would be the penguin dictionary of music.

helped me with my GCSE's (hopefully, i'll find out next thrusday)
Quote by Retro Rocker
You fucked up.
I can't believe you had the nerve to do that.

Get the hell off my forum!

Quote by Doppelgänger
Wait, did you use protection? Because that'd be funny if you got your cousin knocked up.