I'm repainting my strat knockoff and the front of a headstock for the strat and I want to see what you all think on my progress. So far I've laid down the primer, the red, and I've moved on to clearcoat. I made sure I got 600 grit sandpaper and wetsanded it, laid down more red, then moved on to the clear. I laid a mist coat of clear, then 3 wet coats. Waited like 4 days, then sanded with 1500 grit wet and laid down another 3 wet coats of clear.

Haven't polished yet but I will after about 4 more days so the lacquer has time to cure.

Anyway, pics now!

what do you think? I know, there's a little bit of a messup around the tuner holes but those will (hopefully) be buffed out/covered by the tuners.

EDIT: HUUUUGE PIC, I'll resize then repost.

UPDATE:

You like?
Last edited by Guerrilla Radio at Aug 16, 2008,
Looks like you need to wetsand it with a block. Use that 1500 or some 1200, wet it a little, and rub away. Be sure to clean/renew the sandpaper as you go. It fills up fast.

To make it really shine, its gotta be flat as hell before you buff.

As much as you've sprayed, its most likely ready to just sand and buff, though.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Looks pretty good since the red is just primer.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by zeroyon
Looks like you need to wetsand it with a block. Use that 1500 or some 1200, wet it a little, and rub away. Be sure to clean/renew the sandpaper as you go. It fills up fast.

To make it really shine, its gotta be flat as hell before you buff.

As much as you've sprayed, its most likely ready to just sand and buff, though.

+1 2000 is good too. I bought the stewmac kit and that has good stepping. Excellent spray though.
wet sand + fix edges + polish it = good job

until then, ****.

(if you machine-polish it, you might not need to wetsand it)
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Body is still underway. Just wetsanded the body down again today... it's really not that good because I'm still getting used to painting (this guitar is my project guitar).

When the body is getting closer to being done then I'll post pics of it.

Zeroyon: so... after I wet sand it with some 1500, should I just go straight to my polish?
Last edited by Guerrilla Radio at Aug 14, 2008,
Looks fine! I really like the red too.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by livrockdie
I figured you would, but it was worth mentioning. You never know around here...

Haha yeah, I know. Hope i didn't sound like a jerk or anything.

But I was surprised after I peeled off the masking tape to see that there was even paint there... I mean... I made sure the tape was stuck, and I mean really stuck to the headstock. But oh well, it'll be fixed.
Quote by Christ Lover
You're from HIH...

yup.

can anyone answer my question? Do I wetsand, paint again and then polish/buff, or do I just wetsand and then go straight to buffing/polishing?