We've messed around trying to use a simple USB mic right into Audacity, but the low quality and difficulty of lining up all the tracks pretty much turned me off of it. So now I'd like to ask, what would be the absolute most basic setup for recording an entire band at once (2 Guitars, Bass, Drums). Vocals can be done on their own. And yes, I'm fine with a single overhead drum mic for now.

I'm going to take a guess here and say I need some kind of mixing board with 4 mic inputs, with a USB output. Then 4 mics (All dynamic??), with stands and cables. Then run all that into the mixer, then run the mixer into my computer, into Audacity. Is this close?

And if possible, recommend me some specific equipment please.
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
preferably you should get a 16 channel firewire interface, a seriously bangin computer, a copy of Reaper and a good set of mics.

depends what you hope to achieve really, audacity is good for messing around with but if you want to get into recording/production and actually have a good end result then you'll need better software, and a good interface for multitrack recording.... and a good computer... and...etc

if you cant get a 16 channel interface then 8 will do fine for recording the instruments seperatly, which is whats done in the vast majority of real-life recording scenarios.
Being 16, that's pretty much impossible. Car payments, auto-insurance, gas, phone bill, school supplies/cloths, saving for college and an engagement ring. Yeah, high end gear is pretty much out of the question. I was looking more for like the bare essentials. Or would it just be cheaper to get like 6-12 songs done and head to a decent recording studio?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
You pretty much had the basics in your original post. Get a cheap mixer (got my 4 channel at amazon.com for $20). With this you can record 2 mono channels at the same time. My band typically gets the entire drum and bass track done at the same time using the mixer. Then we go back and individually add guitars and vocals.

Obviously this can be a pain and isnt ideal, but if you are on a budget and have some patients you can get decent results. I use garageband for my recording software but I have also used Audacity so Im sure you can make it work.
Quote by Afyum
We've messed around trying to use a simple USB mic right into Audacity, but the low quality and difficulty of lining up all the tracks pretty much turned me off of it. So now I'd like to ask, what would be the absolute most basic setup for recording an entire band at once (2 Guitars, Bass, Drums). Vocals can be done on their own. And yes, I'm fine with a single overhead drum mic for now.

I'm going to take a guess here and say I need some kind of mixing board with 4 mic inputs, with a USB output. Then 4 mics (All dynamic??), with stands and cables. Then run all that into the mixer, then run the mixer into my computer, into Audacity. Is this close?

And if possible, recommend me some specific equipment please.

You're right about 4 microphones. But what's the budget?

This is probably the best overall solution, as each input can be recorded on a separate track so you can pan and adjust at will...and it's $230.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Aug 14, 2008,
I do mine using an MBox 2 and ProTools LE DAW interface.

For guitar, I put a dynamic mic on the amp.

For bass, I plug right in.

For drums, I do an overhang and a dynamic on the bass. The drums don't sound good usually. I use an electric kit usually but I figured you wouldn't want to buy one.

It's more expensive than a mixer, but you can get pretty awesome results.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Aug 15, 2008,