Any help would be greatly appreciated! I recently got an old ibook g4 and have a return flight home, so i downloaded the movie Pulp Fiction from demonoid to watch and its an avi. file.
I looked around and everyone is saying to use divx or vlc player and i downloaded both apps and with divx there is no sound and a white screen and vlc just plays without screen or sound. I know the torrent isnt busted cause theres tons of comments saying its the beset torrent around blah blah..quality is good. Has anyone run into these types of problems, and if so is there an easy way to fix this?
Im not mac savy and i dont want to download files that could particulary harm the computer..any help once again id really appreciate.
1) The file might be corrupted. Redownload.
2) VLC might not have the right codecs to play .avi files on your computer. You may need to download them.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
codecs.

The DivX player usually gives you an error code, use it to solve the problem.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
You might need an AC3 codec for the sound. As for the video, try something like MPlayer.

Just try reinstalling VLC player and see if that works.
i reinstalled the first half of the video (it comes in two complete sections) and the problem is still there. Divx doesnt come up with an error code, but can i download the codecs from the divx website? i just reinstalled vlc and it also doesnt work...its weird considering comments from the bittorent say thats the best app to use.
Hmm. VLC has played every video type I've ever thrown at it. Are you sure a window didn't pop asking you if you wanted to repair the file or something? You might need to minimize your other windows.
yeah i just retried the VLC player again. this time the window popped up but it was all black and sound played for a few seconds before it all closed and said the app unexpectedly quite and report to apple. I dont have any other apps running..im starting to think the laptop just cant handle it but im not sure.
Try downloading the latest version of VLC and re-installing it.

Edit:
Did you try MPlayer?
nah i havent tried MPlayer I heard that it can cause the computer a lot of problems or something. I'm thinking I might give that a shot.
this may be a dumb question but how do you uninstall programs on a mac? Im used to using PCs and i used the DivX uninstaller but after i was prompted and restarted the computer it was still there and opned normally.

All your help has been great.
This is why Macs suck. In all honestly I have no idea how to help you. VLC has always played every type of video I've thrown at it without needing any codecs.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
vlc plays pretty much every single file i know of
whenever i have a file that isnt compatible with windows media or winamp, i resort to VLC and it always work.
corrupted torrent download for sure. re-download the movie and i'm positive it will work
Quote by sk8boardbob2
This is why Macs suck. In all honestly I have no idea how to help you. VLC has always played every type of video I've thrown at it without needing any codecs.

It's not the fact that its a Mac.

The file is corrupt, obviously. Try playing several other filetypes on VLC and see if the problem persists.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by sk8boardbob2

I'm surprised that it took 12 posts for some idiot to come in here and say that Macs suck. That may be a new UG record.

Anyway, to uninstall all you have to do is delete the app.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Sounds like the file is corrupt try a different version of it.

VLC has been able to play everything I've thrown at it. From .bin to H.264's
VLC Player can play even broken files [and that includes files like Download Accelerator Plus avi files and torrent avi files]

There may be some parts of the torrent that u havent downloaded
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
It's not the fact that its a Mac.

The file is corrupt, obviously. Try playing several other filetypes on VLC and see if the problem persists.

Considering he's downloaded the file multiple times and that VLC works for me and everyone else here, what else could it be?
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
yeah i tried MPlayer too after the download the f***** app it wouldnt even open so i dl a new avi file and that played on xvid after i reinstalled it and dl appropriate codecs. So im guessing the original video was corrupted even after i reinstalled the first half hah.
Thanks for all the help!
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Considering he's downloaded the file multiple times and that VLC works for me and everyone else here, what else could it be?

That the same file he's downloaded multiple times isn't a working file?

I use VLC and never had a problem with it. I've used a Mac for 2 years now and never had a problem with it. Ever.

Saying its a Mac's fault for a file not opening in VLC is like saying it's Chevy's fault when your Firestone tire runs flat.

Quote by CreateSalvation
yeah i tried MPlayer too after the download the f***** app it wouldnt even open so i dl a new avi file and that played on xvid after i reinstalled it and dl appropriate codecs. So im guessing the original video was corrupted even after i reinstalled the first half hah.
Thanks for all the help!

This further proves my point. It was the file...
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
That the same file he's downloaded multiple times isn't a working file?

99% of corrupt downloads are from your end.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Make sure you compare MD5 hashes next time with your torrent client (usually listed in the comments) or torrent tracker.

In OS X, open Terminal, and type:
$ cd download_directory
$ md5 filename.avi

And it should echo an alphanumeric string like this:
$ 8895167a794c5d8dedcc312fc62f1f1f filename.avi

And then compare that with the one provided.