I was thinking on getting a Boss DS-2. Is it good for metal and grunge? I don't really care what, I was just wondering.
Quote by Insomniac_123
whats that?

John Frusciante. If they're anything like the DS-1 which I own, they won't nail metal. Grunge, yes, metal, no.
yeah grunge it will sound sweet. just think of "turbo" distortion.

nothing screechy like metal though, just a really sick power chord sound. it's a cool pedal none the less, just not for shredding.

oh yeah about frusciante, listen to the song "especially in michigan" by the chilis, fru uses it in the chorus, that's a good example of what it sounds like. or pretty much the distortion in dani california.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
yeah grunge it will sound sweet. just think of "turbo" distortion.

nothing screechy like metal though, just a really sick power chord sound. it's a cool pedal none the less, just not for shredding.

oh yeah about frusciante, listen to the song "especially in michigan" by the chilis, fru uses it in the chorus, that's a good example of what it sounds like.

He doesn't use it on Especially In Michigan, he uses the English Muff'n for that track, on the middle pickup with his tone rolled off.

Listen to Dani California's choruses, that's the DS-2. He uses the DS-2 and the Big Muff for the solo.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I've heard of the DS-1 but I think the DS2 is better because it has another version of standerd.
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

Guitars: Fender

Pedals: Behrigner Ultra Metal
The DS-2 has two modes, Turbo I, which is the DS-1, and Turbo II, the DS-2. Turbo II > Turbo I. It's also got a bit of a midboost on it too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Only bad side is that it costs alot.
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

No it doesn't.

I got mine for £40.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
That site was a rip off anyway.
I guess to make a metal sound I need to get a Mega Distortion or something.

Quote by Insomniac_123
That site was a rip off anyway.
I guess to make a metal sound I need to get a Mega Distortion or something.

doesn't have to be boss - they are very generic pedals and never anything special, at least not stock. You could try a Marshall Jackhammer.

What amp are you using?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
What amp are you using?

Still a Park amp but a marshall soon enough.
But the current edal I have is a Behrigner Ultra Metal but it dosen't make a grunge sound. I don't really need a metal pedal.

What's the diffrent between the modes? What is mode 1 and 2.
wait, does the first mode like the Ds-1 and is the second mode the biting disortion?

the first mode is basically a DS-1, and the second mode adds more gain and a mid boost for solos.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by Insomniac_123
Still a Park amp but a marshall soon enough.
But the current edal I have is a Behrigner Ultra Metal but it dosen't make a grunge sound. I don't really need a metal pedal.

which marshall are you planning on getting?

mode 1 is close to the sound of the older DS-1 (better than a newer DS-1) and mode 2 is a mid-boosted mode which cuts through the mix nicely. the song on my profile is a boss DS-2 with the gain about halfway and tone at 10 o'clock, run into a clean tube amp, with no studio tricks except a little reverb.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I was not thinking on getting a huge Marshall (which are probaly the best) because the space in my home and I would just like a medium sized Marshall really.
And the Boss DS-2 is like a 2 in 1 effect hearing comments.