Yes
43 47%
No
33 36%
You kickass metaldud536!
16 17%
Voters: 92.
Page 1 of 2
After taking a class that relates about logic and probability, do you believe that it is possible that you can figure out the chances of every event happening in your life and the world if you knew every little detail happening in the world at every second?
Keep in mind, it would be a LOT of details.
For example, what is the probability of having a terrorist attack occur in your city?
The probability of you dying today?
The probability of you posting in this thread?
The probability of you clicking "refresh" while in The Pit?
The probability of finding Entei on Route 39?
How about the probability of you making the right decision?

It seems that people possess an inherent cognitive handicap that makes it impossible to separate our basic core of needs and desires with further, less concrete functions of influence and ideas in the real world. Our almost subconscious predisposition on acceptance and dependence, if only on one person/relationship/belief system, or even perceived relation, causes constant interference with our logical digestion of information.

Preconception, directly relative to our web of beliefs/idioms, even if most of the fabric therein is essentially unrelated to what it is we're taking in through our eyes and ears. I have no doubt that even in reading this so far, at least one word has brought into your thought processes a pre-established influence on what you believe I'm saying.

There is so much that we come in contact with, even in the course of 5 minutes, that influence our thoughts, actions, and feelings in such subtle yet simultaneously powerful ways that it seems impossible to me to think that the choices we make throughout any given day can even be considered our own.

Sorry, no short version. Deal with it.

BTW I got to thinking this up as I've been discussing politics on UG.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Aug 14, 2008,
Theoretically, yes, there is a way to factor the possible odds that might happen.

Practically, no, we can't. It's to hard.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

*Martyr's post*
WOW. Well you pretty much got this thread.
Actually I understand!
If I were to find out that the chances of a suicide bombing occurring in my house was 80%, what would be the chances of me staying in this house?

I understand completely.
Determinism suggests that every action a person takes can be calculated from moment to moment, but the sheer volume of information required to predict just one choice would render the calculation impossible.

Predicting events that would involve the actions of multiple people would be more impossible still.

Basically a theoretical possibility but a practical impossibility.
The probability of life existing on Earth is a statistical impossibility.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

It seems that people possess an inherent cognitive handicap that makes it impossible to separate our basic core of needs and desires with further, less concrete functions of influence and ideas in the real world. Our almost subconscious predisposition on acceptance and dependence, if only on one person/relationship/belief system, or even perceived relation, causes constant interference with our logical digestion of information.

Preconception, directly relative to our web of beliefs/idioms, even if most of the fabric therein is essentially unrelated to what it is we're taking in through our eyes and ears. I have no doubt that even in reading this so far, at least one word has brought into your thought processes a pre-established influence on what you believe I'm saying, or rather choose to believe.

There is so much that we come in contact with, even in the course of 5 minutes, that influence our thoughts, actions, and feelings in such subtle yet simultaneously powerful ways that it seems impossible to me to think that the choices we make throughout any given day can even be considered our own.

He didn't say IF it happens, I think TS was more about if the actual choices can be recorded mathematically or on a diagram.
Quote by Terror Kovenant
The probability of life existing on Earth is a statistical impossibility.
No it isn't, it's just a very small probability.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Basically a theoretical possibility but a practical impossibility.

Absolutely! Like us getting round the idea of "infinite" time and space.

Well said chap.
Quote by Jackolas
He didn't say IF it happens, I think TS was more about if the actual choices can be recorded mathematically or on a diagram.

This is what I had in mind. If all detailed events from every person existing were to be recorded, would it be possible to live a predictable life. I understand that the amount of information to be recorded would make it almost impossible.
Even theoretically you would have to possess an infinite amount of information to count the possibilities for every event, so I say no.
Quote by metaldud536
This is what I had in mind. If all detailed events from every person existing were to be recorded, would it be possible to live a predictable life. I understand that the amount of information to be recorded would make it almost impossible.

Indeed, it is practically impossible as Mr freedoms_stain said.

You could make a joke about what a predictable life is though..

Birth > Nursery > School > More School > More School > Job > Holiday > Job > Job > Kids > Job Job Job > Tired > Holiday > Death.
Laplace's demon. Read about it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by Stratwizard
Even theoretically you would have to possess an infinite amount of information to count the possibilities for every event, so I say no.

So basically this ties into the idea of a monkey with a type writer, and infinite time and space, having to write every Shakespeare play and newspaper ever written.

Seriously.
Quote by Jackolas

I understand, but my post is related because I'm talking about how even the smallest, most completely unrelated conditions can influence a decision. So the amount of things to calculate makes it practically impossible, like freedoms_stain said. But really it's almost theoretically impossible as well, because with so many factors, many of them canceling each other out and still others adding more factors, how can it be even formulated?
We're only strays.
Quote by Jackolas
So basically this ties into the idea of a monkey with a type writer, and infinite time and space, having to write every Shakespeare play and newspaper ever written.

Seriously.

Well, yes and no. Then again, when you have an infinite amount of time the probability of any event happening is 100%.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I understand, but my post is related because I'm talking about how even the smallest, most completely unrelated conditions can influence a decision. So the amount of things to calculate makes it practically impossible, like freedoms_stain said. But really it's almost theoretically impossible as well, because with so many factors, many of them canceling each other out and still others adding more factors, how can it be even formulated?

Ah right, well said as well. Bit of a headache really.
Quote by freedoms_stain
No it isn't, it's just a very small probability.

Oh but it is. 1 out of 10 to the 50 is considered an impossibility. The probability of life forming is 1.28 X 10 to the 115. And that's only the probability of the proper proteins forming together to become a living thing, which means it assumes a perfect environment. So when you add the Earth, Sun, Solar System, Galaxy, and Universe into the scheme of things... life is impossible.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Archaon
The same argument is used against free will.

It's one and the same, I think.
We're only strays.
Even if I could I wouldn't. It would take all the fun out of life.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Terror Kovenant
Oh but it is. 1 out of 10 to the 50 is considered an impossibility. The probability of life forming is 1.28 X 10 to the 115. And that's only the probability of the proper proteins forming together to become a living thing, which means it assumes a perfect environment. So when you add the Earth, Sun, Solar System, Galaxy, and Universe into the scheme of things... life is impossible.

But that's utter bollocks as life clearly isn't impossible (obviously) and they have (I think) discovered basic level-bacteria on Mars.
Quote by Jackal58
Even if I could I wouldn't. It would take all the fun out of life.

Are you sure? I mean if it was possible, Bob could live the life of a happy millionare, granted Bob followed the infinite amount information Bob was given to his advantage.
Quote by Jackolas
But that's utter bollocks as life clearly isn't impossible (obviously) and they have (I think) discovered basic level-bacteria on Mars.

Of course life is real, but its just interesting to think about. Its just proof that life is incredibly complex.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by metaldud536
Are you sure? I mean if it was possible, one could live the life of a happy millionare, granted he followed used the infinite amount information the person was given to his advantage.

It'd literally be hax irl.

Man I want to make a movie of this one day. In the future, everyone owns insanely powerful computers that calculate every single decision taking into account millions of variables. And people plug into outlets to download beliefs. And the presidential elections are calculated by computers.

If you think about it, compared to thousands of years ago, we're almost living that now.
We're only strays.
Quote by darkstar2466
Laplace's demon. Read about it.

o rly

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Terror Kovenant
Proper proteins? False assumption, early life probably didn't have the same chemical composition as us.

Under current theories of abiogenesis the probability of bio-mol formation shoots up due to the presense of montmorillite (totally the wrong spelling).

And when you factor in the size of the universe the probability of the features of the Earth cropping up at least once in such a vast number of planets, shoots up again.
Well things do happen that go against the odds sometimes. Statistically, there's a very good chance you'll die tomorrow. But common sense says that if you're careful, you probably won't.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by metaldud536
After taking a class that relates about logic and probability, do you believe that it is possible that you can figure out the chances of every event happening in your life and the world if you knew every little detail happening in the world at every second?
Keep in mind, it would be a LOT of details.
For example,

Quote by metaldud536
what is the probability of having a terrorist attack occur in your city?

Not a lot.
Quote by metaldud536
The probability of you dying today?

Slim to none.
Quote by metaldud536

The probability of you posting in this thread?

Extremely high.
Quote by metaldud536

The probability of you clicking "refresh" while in The Pit?

100%
Quote by metaldud536

The probability of finding Entei on Route 39?

glad you're back.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Preconception, directly relative to our web of beliefs/idioms, even if most of the fabric therein is essentially unrelated to what it is we're taking in through our eyes and ears. I have no doubt that even in reading this so far, at least one word has brought into your thought processes a pre-established influence on what you believe I'm saying.

You just blew my ****ing mind. And I am not joking.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Quote by metaldud536
Are you sure? I mean if it was possible, Bob could live the life of a happy millionare, granted Bob followed the infinite amount information Bob was given to his advantage.

Bob would be to fucking busy analyzing data to do any fucking.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2