So i was thinking about buying the Crate V18 since it was on sale for so cheap...
But is it good for pop punk/ alternative like paramore or is it strictly blues?
and if i did buy it would i need to get new tubes?
and what OD or distortion pedals would be good with this?

Thanks in advance.
what's your max. budget?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
No OD pedals on a low wattage tube amp, for starters.
At least buy a valveking Royal 8, at that price.
Or, save money up, and don't waste it on a cheap tube amp.
Get 500 bucks and buy something decent, that will actually last you, should you decide to become dedicated and/or good.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
oh, and if you took care of the amp and didn't play it more than an hour a day, new tubes in 6 months to a year.

Don't judge me.
yeah

budget
home or gig
new or used
if new - i wouldn't worry about tubes right away, but an OD pedal yes
if used - can you check your local Craigslist to see what gives?

PS. Anyone with a User Name of JessicaGonzo is a friend of mine.
Mm, seems like it can pump out alittle distortion.
Looks pretty cool.

You might want to try out the Fender Super Champ XD first though.
16 different voicings (amp modelings) and +digital effects
You can get any tone under the sun with it.
And no need for pedals or anything,
It's all tube to (1 12ax7 preamp, 2 6v6 power amp)
Edit: Usually costs $250 at GC or at a local shop

Hope that helps :]
Last edited by LesZao at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah

budget
home or gig
new or used
if new - i wouldn't worry about tubes right away, but an OD pedal yes
if used - can you check your local Craigslist to see what gives?

PS. Anyone with a User Name of JessicaGonzo is a friend of mine.

Im trying to stay around $200....
This would be for bedroom practicing.
it would be new from GC or Musicansfriend.
I looked at craigslist and all the tube amps are 30-50 watts and that way to much for my room. Im not in dying need of amp right now but i saw V18 were $150 new at GC, so i thought why not?
Quote by theoreticmusic
oh, and if you took care of the amp and didn't play it more than an hour a day, new tubes in 6 months to a year.

ya think?

i'll bet that it is longer than that, and i think JessicaGonzo meant new tubes to improve sound.

ps. the Edit button works great for adding in or changing information in your posts.

Quote by JessicaGonzo
Im trying to stay around $200....
This would be for bedroom practicing.
it would be new from GC or Musicansfriend.
I looked at craigslist and all the tube amps are 30-50 watts and that way to much for my room. Im not in dying need of amp right now but i saw V18 were $150 new at GC, so i thought why not?

I think it is a great deal. Go to GC and check some stuff out, go early and take your own guitar. It will be better than some of the other stuff that will be shown to you while you are there.
well yeah. I'm sure it would last longer, but if she were to buy a low wattage amp and push it with a gain boosting pedal, they'd tire out a bit quicker. and i like to err on the side of caution. and the edit button doesn't like safari sometimes, so I don't use it.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
well yeah. I'm sure it would last longer, but if she were to buy a low wattage amp and push it with a gain boosting pedal, they'd tire out a bit quicker. and i like to err on the side of caution. and the edit button doesn't like safari sometimes, so I don't use it.

since you said OD isnt good with lower wattage amps what would be a good pedal to get some kind of distortion?
Quote by JessicaGonzo
since you said OD isnt good with lower wattage amps what would be a good pedal to get some kind of distortion?

if you just want a bedroom practice amp, I think you should get a solid state, honestly. You want to spend 150 on a crate tube, I think you can do much better for the money. So look at something like a Kustom or a Peavey. Or save money for a better amp. The way a decent OD pedal works with a tube amp is by pushing the tubes harder, creating a more driven sound and resulting in more gain. It's dangerous to push a 5W tube amp too much.

Don't judge me.
FYI - people put Overdrive pedals on 5 watt Blackheart amps - which by the way you should add to your list. Grab a Bad Monkey while you are there trying stuff out and play some amps with it on and off and you'll see.

^and tubes are funny. They could last 6 weeks or they could last 6 years. I just wouldn't want anyone to shy away from getting a tube amp due to perceived extra maintenance.
Quote by JessicaGonzo

An OD is particularly great with low wattage tube amps. I don't know what that guy is talking about. I don't know a lot about the Crate V18, other than the fact that I can't believe they're selling it so cheap. I was thinking about getting one at that price, and it's really the last thing I need. My son has the Palomino V16 (which I suspect would be very similar), and I think it's a great amp. He gets a lot of modern sounds out of it with a Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde OD/distortion pedal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Here's a list of things you should save up and buy:

Blackheart Little Giant 349
Peavey Windsor Studio 399
Peavey Valveking 112 459

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
if you just want a bedroom practice amp, I think you should get a solid state, honestly. You want to spend 150 on a crate tube, I think you can do much better for the money. So look at something like a Kustom or a Peavey. Or save money for a better amp. The way a decent OD pedal works with a tube amp is by pushing the tubes harder, creating a more driven sound and resulting in more gain. It's dangerous to push a 5W tube amp too much.

Really???

So a $150 Kustom or Peavey? Like what??

A decent OD pedal works by simulating the sound of an overdriven amp. Many have a volume control on them that allows you to push the tubes as well. They're designed to work well with any tube amp. There's no danger involved.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
An OD is particularly great with low wattage tube amps. I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Ugh. I'm not talking about sound. I agree, I run a Mesa Express on 5W for most of my usage. I'm talking about the integrity of the amp.

Don't judge me.
well i think 150 on that amp is crazy deal, if i lived in america i'd go for it instantly and regarding playing overdrive through amp - no, it won't be shortening neither amp neither tubes lifetime. now cranking it - thats another story. but i think its well worth it - if i'd be you, i'd go for it
Quote by theoreticmusic
Here's a list of things you should save up and buy:

Blackheart Little Giant 349
Peavey Windsor Studio 399
Peavey Valveking 112 459

Quote by theoreticmusic
Ugh. I'm not talking about sound. I agree, I run a Mesa Express on 5W for most of my usage. I'm talking about the integrity of the amp.

I'm trying to be polite, but every bit of advice you've offered in this thread is pretty poor. I would tend to doubt that any of the amps you listed there are any better than the Crate V18 straight up, and that none of them are worth two or three times as much.

I've run a treble booster that's designed to double the volume of your guitar thru an Epi VJ without any "integrity" issues. It's pure nonsense to suggest that it's a bad idea to run an OD with an 18W amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
+1 to Slats again....you never miss.

I just noticed there are at least 3 threads right now on front page regarding this amp so with that price drop i'm sure it will be very popular. Hell, I may get one.

Good luck Jessica and let us know what you find out after your trip to GC, assuming that is what you are doing. They have a 30 day return too so you can always fall back on that. I forget, maybe it is a 12 day return, 30 or 45 day exchange. Something like that.

Quote by theoreticmusic

It drives your tubes no harder than turning the volume on your amp up.
Go for it 18w tube is plenty for bedroom practice. There is no harm in running an OD pedal with a tube amp. For a bedroom practice amp there is no need to spend $300+ on an amp that is smaller than what you would be getting with the v18. You may not need an OD pedal because the v18 has a gain know that will get you a good classic rock tone. You would only need one if you want to use it as a boost, or if you play metal.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by slatsmania
I'm trying to be polite, but every bit of advice you've offered in this thread is pretty poor. I would tend to doubt that any of the amps you listed there are any better than the Crate V18 straight up, and that none of them are worth two or three times as much.

I've run a treble booster that's designed to double the volume of your guitar thru an Epi VJ without any "integrity" issues. It's pure nonsense to suggest that it's a bad idea to run an OD with an 18W amp.

+1
get a fender champ 600 or a gretsch electromatic g5222. they are small, 5 watt all tube amps at around 200$. they sound phenominal. i tried that crate when i was at a guitar store and trust me, the fender/gretsch are way better tone wise. they only have one control, though: volume. so if you used to using alot of built-in amp reverb, check out something else. but if you dont use alot of built in amp effects and just want pure tone, check 'em out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Sweet, I was planning on buying an Epi Valve or Blackheart but this looked even better.
ill try to check out the amp this weekend...
Any suggestions for a OD pedal or Distortion?
And does any one know if the deal is good in stores?

this is the distortion im looking for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXfeH-3Hp4
Last edited by JessicaGonzo at Aug 14, 2008,
^are you talking about the Crates?

It doesn't specify On Line only for Guitar Center dot com as far as that sale. But they are backordered I heard so it may be on-line anyway if you don't find one physically.

Based on that URL I would say an OD pedal is all you will need. I don't think a Distortion pedal is going to get you what you want. I like and have the Digitech Bad Monkey OD and it is a hella pedal for $50.
they are selling for $150 down from over $400. I am ordering one today.

another $150 for a new speaker and tubes now or later. no question.