To buy something....long story short i'm getting an early Birthday gift but I have to get it this weekend.

Problem is, I already have a Classic 50, Epiphone Les Paul, phaser, wah, delay and a boutique fuzz.

I just don't see any other gear needs right now, budget is around $100 I guess.

I though it might be cool to have a mandolin but I have no idea which brands or models to look for on a budget.

A BYOC Larger Beaver looked nice but it's $130 which is a bit too more expensive.

Any ideas guys? I should be really excited about this but I just don't have any real gear needs. Other than new pickups or an analog delay which will all cost more than $300.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
If you see no need to spend the money, then by all means don't spend the money.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Maybe save it up, then get a new guitar soon?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
^ I want to save it but it's my grandma who I only see once every year or even less.

She really wants to get me something rather than just save the money you know? Sort of personal thing and she insists on it.

I don't know maybe saving it would be the smarter thing to do...

Maybe I could get a low priced booster to compliment the fuzz and save what's left. A Colorsound Powerboost type pedal would sound great with the fuzz.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Well, I know how you feel, my Mom was the same when I turned 18.

Buy something you don't really want to make your Nan happy, keep the receipt, then refund it later, keep the money.

Job's a good'un.
Quote by T!AN
What about pickups or tuners for your epiphone?

Really want pickups but the ones i'm looking at are $200 or so. I wouldn't feel right making her spend that much.

Especially since I had a summer job for some time so I can buy any of those or a new guitar if I want. I'm saving that money for the time being though.

Quote by Chikao42
Well, I know how you feel, my Mom was the same when I turned 18.

Buy something you don't really want to make your Nan happy, keep the receipt, then refund it later, keep the money.

Job's a good'un.

ya just buy something yo can get a full cash refund on.
what about a noise suppressor, some kind of pitch shifting pedal, or acoustic simulator
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
^ Yeah that seems to be my best option, a low priced pedal that I can get some use out of.

I guess the boost or compressor isn't a bad idea.

Chikao42 good point, I could always do that if I didn't like the new gear.

As much as I've spent on guitar gear.. you don't necessarily have to spend everything on something guitar related. It's a foreign concept to me too lol
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Eveyone lovs the MXR dynacomp! Actually been meaning to get one of those for my rig...

**Makes note**
Why don't you throw in your own money and grab yourself a new set of pickups?
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
as for an analog delay, why not check out the MXR Carbon Copy. its like $150 US and just a great piece of equipment.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by zeppelinpage4

A BYOC Larger Beaver looked nice but it's $130 which is a bit too more expensive.
$130?

Unless you're talking pre-built, in which case I say you should try and build it yourself. Soldering is so easy, and they walk you through how to build the pedal, it should be simple.

If you don't go for the Beaver, a Carbon Copy can be found for about $120 used (check the Gear Page emporium), or you can go for a standalone overdrive (unless you're using the MKII on your Monsterpiece as an overdrive...by the way, how's that pedal working out for you?). Also, I could have sworn you said you were having problems with your phaser, which was a Sovtek Small Stone if I remember correctly, so maybe you can look into upgrading that.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
$130?

Unless you're talking pre-built, in which case I say you should try and build it yourself. Soldering is so easy, and they walk you through how to build the pedal, it should be simple.

If you don't go for the Beaver, a Carbon Copy can be found for about $120 used (check the Gear Page emporium), or you can go for a standalone overdrive (unless you're using the MKII on your Monsterpiece as an overdrive...by the way, how's that pedal working out for you?). Also, I could have sworn you said you were having problems with your phaser, which was a Sovtek Small Stone if I remember correctly, so maybe you can look into upgrading that.

Just a note, if your not a member of the Gear Page TS, you wont be able to get into the Classifieds right after you register.

but i agree with the rest of Matts plan
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^^How many days do you have to be a member to be able to view it? 30? 31? He joined on July 13th, so he should be able to by now.
Quote by Thefallofman
^ Thanks for all the replies guys.
I actually went in considering just about everything mentioned in the thread and I found something that made for a nice compromise.

Quote by BrainDamage
$130?

I'm actually planning on getting a Skreddy Echo. I liked the Carbon Copy and was going to get one to go with the fuzz but I thought something with more modulation would suit my needs for David's early Echorec tone.

My #1 Echo covers all his modern tones decently enough so I thought id stick with it while it works and wait for a really good delay.

I do want to build a Large Beaver though but ordering online wasn't an option for me as my grandma was going to leave this weekend for my cousins house. No worries though, I made sure to keep these in consideration when I made my purchase. I'm still gonna end up with a Large Beaver and you know it.

As for the NPN/MKII......it's not here yet.
The check just cleared today and it still has to be shipped out. I promise pics and clips when it comes in. You'll be the first to know about it Matt.

Quote by igotabcrich32
Just a note, if your not a member of the Gear Page TS, you wont be able to get into the Classifieds right after you register.

but i agree with the rest of Matts plan

Cool, I got access to the emporium right now so i'll be regularly checking that thanks.

So what did I decide on?

Well as I was walking around the guitar shop looking at the pedals, Carbon Copy being one I spotted a used Blues Driver for $60.
I know it's nothing special compared to all these other pedals but I thought it would be good base for me to try some mods on and hopefully I could move up to a BYOC soldering project (Large Beaver) from the experiance.

After the mods the BD-2 should make for a nice boost to go with the fuzz and get me some nice overdrive tones in place of the DS-1.

Bad choice? For $60 in new condition I thought it would be a decent buy. All the guys on the Gilmour boards seem to love their BD-2 after some mods.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by zeppelinpage4

I'm actually planning on getting a Skreddy Echo. I liked the Carbon Copy and was going to get one to go with the fuzz but I thought something with more modulation would suit my needs for David's early Echorec tone.
While I'm sure the Skreddy Echo is a fantastic delay in it's own right, I can't see myself spending $325 on it when the Carbon Copy is a perfectly capable analog delay with usable modulation for half that price. But if you have the money and that's what you want, by all means go for it.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
As for the NPN/MKII......it's not here yet.
The check just cleared today and it still has to be shipped out. I promise pics and clips when it comes in. You'll be the first to know about it Matt.
Cool, I'm looking forward to it

Quote by zeppelinpage4
So what did I decide on?

Well as I was walking around the guitar shop looking at the pedals, Carbon Copy being one I spotted a used Blues Driver for $60.
I know it's nothing special compared to all these other pedals but I thought it would be good base for me to try some mods on and hopefully I could move up to a BYOC soldering project (Large Beaver) from the experiance.

After the mods the BD-2 should make for a nice boost to go with the fuzz and get me some nice overdrive tones in place of the DS-1.

Bad choice? For $60 in new condition I thought it would be a decent buy. All the guys on the Gilmour boards seem to love their BD-2 after some mods.
Decent buy for sure. I've heard Boss pedals are a little tougher to mod, but I've never actually opened one up, so who knows, it's worth a shot.
Quote by Thefallofman
First off how did you get a thousand dollars. Your pretty lucky, my grandma gives me her old country CDs. anyways, how bout a strat.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by BrainDamage
While I'm sure the Skreddy Echo is a fantastic delay in it's own right, I can't see myself spending $325 on it when the Carbon Copy is a perfectly capable analog delay with usable modulation for half that price. But if you have the money and that's what you want, by all means go for it.

Cool, I'm looking forward to it

Decent buy for sure. I've heard Boss pedals are a little tougher to mod, but I've never actually opened one up, so who knows, it's worth a shot.

I hope it can be modded, the pedal is a bit dark with my EL-84 amp but i've gotten some nice tones. The amp overdrive itself sounds almost the same so i'm considering returning it using the money for a powerboost clone.

We'll see how it works out the next two days, I think the pedals got some real potential, if not it's no loss I get a full refund.

Quote by hendrix4934
First off how did you get a thousand dollars. Your pretty lucky, my grandma gives me her old country CDs. anyways, how bout a strat.

Thousand?.......I wish.

Just had about a hundred.

^ Well, that would open up a lot of ways to spend the money.

Quote by jimbob78
As much as I've spent on guitar gear.. you don't necessarily have to spend everything on something guitar related. It's a foreign concept to me too lol

I just realized this.....for the last two or three years almost everything I bought with the exception of music was guitar gear.

...I think I knew I had a problem when I preferred to get a new Les Paul in place of a car.

Edit: Update, the BD-2 sounds great on rhythm but it's really dark through my amp. I tested it through a Hot Rod Deluxe which is pretty bright but I forgot to consider how dark my amp usually sounded (has EL84's).

The pedal isn't too great for leads as the overdrive is pretty loose but it reacts nicely to chord dynamics. I think I might sell this and just get something better with my money.

Whatever this pedal does my amp has already been doing.....

What happened to modding it? Maybe you can send it out to Keeley?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
What happened to modding it? Maybe you can send it out to Keeley?

Still got plans for that if I keep the pedal.

However from what I know the mods only improve upon the initial sound of the pedal. I'm sure it could improve the BD-2 a lot but the whole sound of the pedal isn't suiting my set up.
I'm gonna EQ with it some more and just mess around, I want to open up the pedal and try some soldering. I oculd do the same for my DS-1 though, and i've gotten plenty of nice tones out of it.