ok, so here's the story, I am a complete noob to recording and i hope to purchase some equiment soon. Than being said, i've done a little research and have decided the best idea would be to purchase this mike: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SP1-Microphone-and-Stand-Package?sku=277031 and this mixer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-802?sku=631263 as you can see, i'm on a very low budget, but anyways my plan is to plug the mike as well some other instruments into the mixer and then plug the mixer into my computer (a vista if it matters) and then use audacity to record, but i have a few questiones:

1. What type of cable will I need to plug the mixer into my computer

2. As you can see the mixer has 6 inputs, however 4 of them look like they are "stereo inputs". Therefore if I used all 6 inputs at once, would i be able to make them all play out both speakers instead of four of them only playing out of one speaker. (I can clerify if you can't tell what I mean)

3. Most importantly, can I expect to get decent quality doing this. I don't want cd quality I just want it good enough so I can show friends and family without getting laughed at behind my back.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help
Your setup would work but I want to suggest something different for around the same price which will give better quality.

On Stage Stands MS7510 mic pack - $20
Fair mic, a little muddy but the stand and cable are amazingly great...I have 3 of these sets.

Line6 Toneport GX USB 1.1 interface - $50
Nice interfaces for general use and ideas, nothing great compared to higher priced units but they do work and better than running into a stock sound card.

Tweak's Guide will get you on the right road as well, its linked in my sig.

The "Studio Rigs" is a great link to go over there as well, it will help you pick a basic rig.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 14, 2008,
Well, what instruments exactly are you going to record, and do you plan on singing and playing them simultaneously? I'm assuming a budget of $200, which is very modest for recording.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
also keep in mind if you are not looking to record much and dont plan on maknig a lot of songs you probably should not go crazy by spending on high end gear. The toneports are good for a starter setup and do work.

The only limit of the GX is the amount of inputs. You can record one mic or one instrument at one time only.
Wait I'll give you guys some more details on what I'm trying to do. I plan to do a fair amount of recording but at a 50-100$budget mabye 150$ max. So there are two types of recording I'd like to do, recording myself and recording my "band" (well its kind of a band but thats a whole nother issue) recording my self is required and recording my band would be a bonus. When recording myself i would be doing vocals as well as playing bass and keys And yes I might want to sing and play at the same time. I might want to purchase some bongos or some other sort of drums to add some precussion but that won't be for a while (if ever) and thus should't be factored into the desicion. Besides it's not like I'll be recording a full drum set. Recording my band would be a different matter though. Not only would be recording a full drum set but bass,guitar, and vocals as well. Although I would be willing to only use 1 or 2 mikes for the drums and I would probably wanna do the vocals on a seperate take from the rest of the instruments. Recording the my band is one of the reasons I thought purchasing a mixer would be a good idea because I could record 4 tracks at once (well it'd only be one tracks but it be with 4mic/instruments, you know what I mean) At least I think I could do that with this mixer see (question 2.) So to summarize this post, I want to record multiple tracks at a time(one track at a time is fine, two is good, four is excellent) with decent quality for about 50-100$ possibly up to 150$ Sorry for the long post(again) and thanks for the help.

Ps. Isn’t toneport not compatible on vista?
yea last time I tried, the line6 and Vista didnt mix well.......but that was at the beginning of the year probably when drivers were new...

M-Audio is the best brand of hardware to go when running Vista. The really limiting part is finding an interface for $150 which has even 2 inputs.

Here's my suggestion, get used gear. You can save a lot of money doing this.
See if you can find an M-Audio Fast Track Pro used on ebay along with a mic such as a Shure SM57 or even a cheaper Behringer XM8500.

Recording yourself on this setup should not be much of a problem however I cant really see recording a full band with it...

The problem with mixers is once you record the inputs are all mixed to a single stereo track and so you cant really edit the sound as much...

I run a Yamaha MG mixer into an M-Audio 2496 PCI interface but as I said, it mixes everything down so its more for recoding one setup at one time...
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 14, 2008,
okay, after doing a bit of googling i've found out that there are new drivers that alow you to run toneport with a vista that being said I've decided that I'm just going have to forget about recording multiple tracks at once and just get the toneportgx as I'm not a huge ebay fan however, if I could trouble you with one more question I would apprieciate it, Besides the whole mixing it down to one track thing I'm geting the impresion that even with just one instrument i'd get a better sound with an interface than a mixer, why is that?

I know I've said this already but I really apprieciate all the help, thanks!
Quote by frostfire100
a 50-100$budget mabye 150$ max.

So there are two types of recording I'd like to do, recording myself and recording my "band" (well its kind of a band but thats a whole nother issue)
recording my self is required and recording my band would be a bonus.
When recording myself i would be doing vocals as well as playing bass and keys
Recording my band would be a different matter though. Not only would be recording a full drum set but bass,guitar, and vocals as well. Although I would be willing to only use 1 or 2 mikes for the drums and I would probably wanna do the vocals on a seperate take from the rest of the instruments.
Recording the my band is one of the reasons I thought purchasing a mixer would be a good idea because I could record 4 tracks at once (well it'd only be one tracks but it be with 4mic/instruments, you know what I mean) At least I think I could do that with this mixer see (question 2.) So to summarize this post, I want to record multiple tracks at a time(one track at a time is fine, two is good, four is excellent) with decent quality for about 50-100$ possibly up to 150$ Sorry for the long post(again) and thanks for the help.

Well, with an interface, you'll have a better time since the sound is based on the converters in the interface, rather than your sound card. To be honest though, you should pool money from your band and see what you can get, since $150 will only be able to record yourself.

For yourself:

Emu 0202. $99 You'll have to swap things around a bit...line ins when doing keyboard (you can't sing). Hi-Z when doing bass (it'll be clean) and microphone for singing.

Behringer XM8500. $20, and a nice, slightly dark sound that works well with male vocals.

Microphone stand. Cheap good ones can be $20...can you record at a desk or does it have to stand on its own?

Cable. Monoprice and Sweetwater are good places...the former's cheaper since cables are generic.

Software: Free stuff like KRISTAL and Audacity.

After that, you can get a big analog mixer (look for at least 4 preamps) with combined funds from your bandmates. Tapco, Behringer, and Alesis are probably within your range. Take the 1/4" outs into your Emu...flexibility's sacrificed a bit for versatility...you'll have a stereo output straight to computer.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
get an audio interface

Hasn't every person in practically every single post so far already suggested that?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.