Me and some friends were kidding around that we should form a drummerless band with 4 bass guitars and one electric. We were kidding, but thinking about it, would it be possible to get a reasonably good sound with that? I think that would actually work to some extent.
it would work, but it would be hard to do as that's 4 bass guitars in the same sonic range, so unless it's planned out really well it would be hard to do.

EDIT:
do it, record it, and come back with a thread telling us all how it went.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
i say try it by only adding one bassist at a time that wa youll know when you have enough. the only real problem i see is getting the chim sound that symbols get. thats the onyl drawaback, but then again i dont know the sounds of a bass so i may be wrong in saying they cant make the sound
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
We'll do a jam session in a bit and maybe record it. 2 would basically do rhythm guitar kinda of parts, one would be like a soloing bass, and one other, we'd probably have do more under-covering. One of the Basses is an incredible bass-tapper, and another is great as slap, so I think we'd feature all of 'em as available. Maybe not 4 basses needed, but it seems like a nice idea.
Quote by Descendent-182
Use a stand up bass

Accoustic? We could. 2 of the electric bass players play accoustic
Maybe 3 bass and a guitar... would be a better idea.
2 basses could be EQed more towards the high mids end... (sorta the Tool bass sound) driving sorta a rhythm/melody.
And the 3rd bass could be sorta a sub bass.

More than that would clog up the bottom end and would sound pretty messy.
Sounds interesting, it could end up sounding equivalent to a modern classical string quintet if you concentrate on harmonies.

Have a listen to an 80s/90s band called 'Ned's Atomic Dustbin' if you havent already, they really knew how to put more than one bass together and although they only had two bassists in the band, some of their recordings have several basses overdubbed.
What you need is one bassist who clan slap really well, who can be the "drummer" so to speak using the bass.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
What you need is one bassist who clan slap really well, who can be the "drummer" so to speak using the bass.

Now that's a damn good idea.
Play like a quartet with a fifth member adding percussion on the same instrument, man... what a sweet gimmick that would be.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 15, 2008,
Well, you could have one or two of the bass guitars playing muted strings to add a more percussive element to your songs.
I wanna see a band with a usual lineup minus the drummer but with someone who can beatbox doing it instead.

Then again their might be a band like that already; I just don't know of any.
Get a really punchy bass played with a pick, like an extended scale model or a Rick, along with a regular electric bass, an acoustic bass, and one slapped bass... could be awesome.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by ChrisN
I wanna see a band with a usual lineup minus the drummer but with someone who can beatbox doing it instead.

Then again their might be a band like that already; I just don't know of any.

It'd be funny if a black metal band did that. Actually that kind of sound like a good idea
If we are all god's children, what makes Jesus so damn special?
If you had 2 5-string players, a Jazz bass player, and an upright player, it could work
5-string 1 would be tuned EADGC, and will be hereby dubbed "lead bass"
5-string 2 woul be tuned BEADG, and is hereby dubbed "rhythm bass"
The Jazz Bass Player would have to use a pick to get a good midrange punch, and the upright bassist would sing and play simpler parts. If you had to throw guitar in there, he could just play chords or something.