does anybody have any way to make a homemade pop filter? I'm starting to get really annoyed by my voice pops on my recordings, and I don't have the money to spend on a real one.
they're only like 15 to 20 bucks aren't they?
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
get some panty hose and a wire coat hanger. i dunno how well that will work but its worth a shot lol.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

get a coat hanger and a panty hoe. make a ring with the coat hanger and put the panty hoe over it boom done. works charms for me.
Quote by cap'n curry
they're only like 15 to 20 bucks aren't they?

really? crap I guess I should have actually looked it up I guess I was just expecting them to be expensive like most recording equipment is. thanks

Quote by Stratmaster458
get a coat hanger and a panty hoe. make a ring with the coat hanger and put the panty hoe over it boom done. works charms for me.

I don't exactly have many old pantyhose lieing around though, if I get some I'll try it though.
Last edited by samick007 at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by samick007
really? crap I guess I should have actually looked it up I guess I was just expecting them to be expensive like most recording equipment is. thanks

well thats what they are on musician's friend, but im pretty sure thats about how much they are everywhere
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Way better than a coat hanger... get an embroidery hoop. Check craft stores for them. They come in different sizes... get one about 6 inches across. They are two hoops that nest perfectly inside one another and tighten up with a screw, and they're quite cheap.

Get a pair of pantyhose and slip one over the inner hoop. Place the outer hoop over top once you have the inner one nice and neat and you're done!

Total cost about $6.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
use a coat hanger, and a pair of your gf's nylons. 2 layers works best.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
It's better to buy a pop filter, most other filters in 90% of cases are two thick or thin, and block out too much or too little. I dunno about other places, but you can get ones on the cheaper side for 10-15 bucks.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
As for a clamp...

I use either another stand with a mic clip holding the filter in front of the mic. I put the clip over the wooden hoop so as not to damage the nylon.

Alternately, and it's not ideal, but it works in a pinch if you're using a typical LD condensor, is to put a pencil that is wider than the pop filter horizontally against the front of the mic (which, believe it or not, can actually help with sibilance). With the pencil in place, place the pop filter against the pencil, and then use a rubber band around the pop filter and in behind the mic. The pencil is there to keep the nylon a little bit away from the front of the mic, and to provide support around the edges of the filter.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by slash4114
get some panty hose and a wire coat hanger. i dunno how well that will work but its worth a shot lol.

LOL... I can see it now.

Walking into Rite-Aid, "Um, uh....er..... where can I find your wire hangers and panty hose? Don't ask!"

"Honey, that guy just bought wire hangers and panty hose... Should we notify the police?"